How to approach the rebuild

Messi983

@Messi983

You're basically getting rid of five starters (Messi, Alba, Pique, Busquets and Roberto) while replacements bring little (if any) extra quality.

Depay for Messi?
Gaya for Alba
Wijnaldum for Busquets
Garcia for Pique
Emerson for Roberto

Only Wijnaldum might be a step forward. That's a steep dive down.

That defence though, I hope not. One and a half professional player there. With that one being out likely due to injury.

I've tried to be realistic with incoming transfers. As much as I'd love to get Haaland and a CB like Upamecano or Kounde we just don't have money. I just think IF we want to move on we should replace the old core and offload their wages so we can clear some debt asap and get back on track being competitive in a year or two (and see what we have in some younger players in the meantime) so that's what I'd do but at the same time I'm aware not all of them will leave. In reality probably only Messi will.

As for the replacements:

1. Whoever will come to "replace" Messi it will be a clear downgrade. I don't see Memphis as a direct replacement for him though. Griezmann would need to step up along with the rest of the team. We can only replace Messi collectively not individually. As great as Messi was and still is our next team should be build different and not being so dependant on just one player. This will probably come naturally as no player can bring invididually what Messi did over the years.

2. Gaya might be a downgrade from Alba for now but he won't be in a year or two when Alba will inevitably decline. If we can get anything for him, get rid of his wages and replace him with a proven player like Gaya I'd do that.

3. Gini is not a direct replacement for Busi but we can expect him to do well in Koeman's system playing alongside FDJ and Busi just doesn't have legs to be a starter anymore. I've said it before I'd love to get a midfield "destroyer" alongside FDJ but in current situation that's not very likely unless we'll get "lucky" and find someone cheap for that role.

4. We're already adapting to the life without Pique this season. He's still inexperienced and there will be some growing pains but Araujo has stepped up in his absence as a new leader of our defense. I'm not too high on Garcia but he could potentially complement well with Araujo. I think Eric will be more a replacement/competition for Lenglet than anything else when he'll arrive but maybe he'll surprise us.

5. Dest should take over as a RB and Emerson could be a good backup. We can get him back for cheap, he's adapted to La Liga and I would give him a fair chance before giving up on him. We could potentially also play both of them at the same time with Dest moving to the LB sometimes (he did well there at the start of the season). I don't dislike Roberto as a versatile squad player but as said with his contract expiring next year we'll need to make a decision.

a.) sell him for whatever we can get. As said if we could get anywhere around 25-30m I'd seriously consider that in our current situation. He's not indispensible for the club and we won't get much money for our other rejects.

b.) renew his contract. After what happened recently with extensions given out to 29+ yo players I'm very sceptical if that's a way to go. Unless he'll accept a 2-3 year contract at most with a big pay cut to stay then I'm fine keeping him around for a few more years but mostly as a 4th/5th midfielder option.

c.) let his contract expire and re-evaluate situation in 2022 depending on how Roberto and the team in general will do next season and if /how our financial situation will improve so we could potentially bring some better players and let him go for free or renew his contract then.

Messi983

No way that is the goal in next 2 years, at worst it is the bar minimum next year.

You're right, the goal was probably the wrong word. It's what I minimally expect us to do. And even with "my squad" I think we should be able to do that relatively easy.

Going without major trophy (Liga & CL) for 4 years should never be acceptable for club like Barca as a a part of plan, next president might not even survive two years like this.

Also,Barca won't just go solely for free players, that option won't happen. Even last summer we still signed Dest with the wage relief.
Tebas already suggesting that there is a chance of fans going back in stadiums in April.
Most likely the next board will reschedule the debt, ask the government for some help while probably doing some sales like Laporta is suggesting, and then they do business as usual though more cautious.

The club can't lose its "prestige" by planning a 3 year rebuild while losing all marketable players with only free players coming in.

I would agree under different conditions but we were in somewhat similar situation at the start of this century. We were already 4 years without La Liga title when Laporta became president in 2003 and then we won the title in his second year.

The biggest difference is we have now started a (partial) rebuild the first year basically without a president. I'll give a new president a "free year" next season as long as he'll come in with a solid plan.

We also won't buy a Ronaldinho this time. Even with corona impact market has changed too much for nowadays stars like him being available for affordable (for us) prices these days. But maybe we won't need a new Ronaldinho as we have some promising youngsters we can build around.

Then in 2004 we bought Eto'o, Deco and Giuly and I hope we'll be in a situation to bring at least one player who could make similar immediate impact in 2022 those players had in the past. But for this summer just don't see us making any important signings.

Sure, we could do what we did last year with the Semedo-Dest "swap" and buy Gaya if we sell Alba (which I suggested) or maybe a younger striker like Malen if we can actually sell Coutinho for a solid money while at the same time also clear wages elsewhere which means some high earners would need to leave.

What we also did in 2004 was signing Larsson on a free contract so doing the same now with likes of Garcia, Memphis and/or Wijnaldum makes a lot of sense. They might turn out something more than just "free and unmarketable" players replacing some underperforming and overpaid former stars.

Also, I doubt besides Messi (and possibly Pique but more because of his persona outside of the football than what he's done on the pitch recently) players like Busi, Alba and Roberto bring all that much money these days losing them would be a big financial hit for Barca. Sure, they are club legends and still big names worldwide but at the same time they also don't have a big/interesting personality for media/fans so I'd think Dembele, FDJ, Fati, Griezmann and newcomers like Pedri and Dest (especially in the USA) are much more marketable and we should concentrate on them instead of holding on to the old core for that reason. We did that a few years ago and it backfired.

khaled_a_d

Also, I doubt besides Messi (and possibly Pique but more because of his persona outside of the football than what he's done on the pitch recently) players like Busi, Alba and Roberto bring all that much money these days losing them would be a big financial hit for Barca. Sure, they are club legends and still big names worldwide but at the same time they also don't have a big/interesting personality for media/fans so I'd think Dembele, FDJ, Fati, Griezmann and newcomers like Pedri and Dest (especially in the USA) are much more marketable and we should concentrate on them instead of holding on to the old core for that reason. We did that a few years ago and it backfired.

Those players probably don't bring marketing influence now, but without Messi they are at least a recognizable name for your average Joe kind of fan, that is a bit essential in the moment. I would give Fati, Pedri & Dest another year before thinking they can be like that.

Also I think you are underestimating the positive influence of those veterans in the team, I know you are more signed to the idea of "amigos" but all young players speak positively about those. I don't think selling/moving our 5 captains at one off-season is smart idea. It rarely works and it creates a leadership gap, especially if player like Griezmann don't step up on and off the pitch.

Even in 2003 we let Lucho & Cocu stay for another year, along some veterans like Overmars and Reiziger.
And that with Puyol being there

What we also did in 2004 was signing Larsson on a free contract so doing the same now with likes of Garcia, Memphis and/or Wijnaldum makes a lot of sense. They might turn out something more than just "free and unmarketable" players replacing some underperforming and overpaid former stars.

I am not saying they won't be serviceable here, but they can't be sole signings, not when you let go your top 5 captains, your own club ,arguably football, GOAT and other highly paid players like Coutinho and Umtiti like you suggest. If we do this then we at least need one big signing, not necessary a Haland type but maybe a 35M+ CB or something.

I would agree under different conditions but we were in somewhat similar situation at the start of this century. We were already 4 years without La Liga title when Laporta became president in 2003 and then we won the title in his second year.

The biggest difference is we have now started a (partial) rebuild the first year basically without a president. I'll give a new president a "free year" next season as long as he'll come in with a solid plan.

We also won't buy a Ronaldinho this time. Even with corona impact market has changed too much for nowadays stars like him being available for affordable (for us) prices these days. But maybe we won't need a new Ronaldinho as we have some promising youngsters we can build around.

I fully agree with this, I actually think Koemann should stay 1 more season at least to complete the rebuild, after that we see if he is the guy to help us get trophy or we should look for someone else.

Then in 2004 we bought Eto'o, Deco and Giuly and I hope we'll be in a situation to bring at least one player who could make similar immediate impact in 2022 those players had in the past. But for this summer just don't see us making any important signings.

Here is my take, if we are really going to go all in on "budget" then I don't prefer to slash only the old guards, I would actually like some of them to stay and sell with profit some of the middle group.

Roberto won't bring us solid money with 1 year left in contract, but PSG is eyeing Emerson for example, if we can get something at least twice what we are paying for him then I am ok with it.
I would argue that Roberto has at least 3 serviceable years as RB & CM when needed, and if we rate Dest as better player than Emerson then there is no need to bring both, it will probably cost Emerson some development and he will lose some value if he comes here to be back up. Obviously Roberto need to renew with a reasonable contract (sort like Laporta did in 2003 when he told veterans they need pay cut if they want to stay)

Lenglet doesn't look like he will suit us as CB when we play highline, which is the right way to play if you want to build an elite team. If we can get some Mina type of money I would prefer selling him over a veteran like Pique.

I might go as far as selling MATS if it means we can get a CB we totally trust to transform our defense. This should be priority.

Not sure about Alba, he is disciplined SOB and I can see him last to 34 as very good FB like Alves did. I highly doubt there is any market for him and Alba is probably the kind of guy who will want his money, which means we will have to sell him to someone willing to give him that salary for 3 years.
Replacing him with Gaya sounds cool, but I doubt it is realistic.

I would ask Busquets to go, I think he will accept that since he knows he is 2nd in line after Xavi as future coached who were Barca legends.

Messi: all depends on what amount of pay cut he takes, a reasonably paid Messi (based on actual data the club have, not based on fan fiction or campaigns estimation) is always welcome to stay another couple of year IMO

Last edited:

Porque

As we have no money, is it worth going after Brian Bobby on a free for striker?

Realise he has probably signed with Dortmund already, but if Laporta is brining Overmars then Bradley might have been discussed.

Last edited:

soul24rage

My transfers with the club's economic situation in mind

In:
-Garcia
-Wijnaldum
-Depay
-Emerson (pay the 6 million)

Sell:
-Coutinho
-Firpo
-Umtiti or Lenglet
-Braithwaite
-Ale?a
-Pjanic
-Loan out Mingueza

Hopefully, next season still has the 5 subs rule.

Next season's squad with age (green = Barca B)

GK: MATS (29-30), Neto (32), Pe?a (22-23)

RB: Dest (20-21, could play as backup LB if necessary), Emerson (21-22)
CB: Araujo (22-23), Garcia (21-22), Pique (34-35), Umtiti (27-28)/Lenglet (26)
LB: Alba (32-33), Balde (17-18)

CDM: Bob (29-30), Busi (33), Jandro (21)
RCM: DJ (24), Wijnaldum (31), Moriba (18-19)
LCM: Pedri (18-19), Puig (22)

RW: Dembele (24), Trincao (21-22), Collado (22)
LW: Griezmann (30-31), Fati (18-19), Konrad (19)
CF: Messi (34-if he signs a new contract, wages needs to be reduced a lot), Depay (27-28)

Last edited:

Catta

@soul24rage

That could be the most realistic and best scenario for our current financial situation.

JamDav1982

If Messi stays the front six will be same but will try to sign Depay and punt Braithwaite.

Balde/Jandro etc cant see being back ups next season.

Balde is not even playing regularly or excelling all that much at B team yet. Jandro looks decent in flashes but the fact not been called up for cup or training much probably indicates not all that highly rated and at 21.

serghei

In:
-Garcia
-Wijnaldum
-Depay

Sell:
-Coutinho
-Firpo
-Umtiti or Lenglet
-Braithwaite
-Ale?a
-Pjanic
-Loan out Mingueza

CF: Messi (34-if he signs a new contract, wages needs to be reduced a lot), Depay (27-28)

Excellent.

jamrock

In:
-Garcia
-Wijnaldum
-Depay

Sell:
-Coutinho
-Firpo
-Umtiti or Lenglet
-Braithwaite
-Ale?a
-Pjanic
-Loan out Mingueza

I approve this message.

Home of Barca Fans