How many national titles would you trade for 1 Champions L. ??

ejuventus

Hi mates,
I'm curious to know how's the feeling of a supporter of some big european club about that question.

In Italy the matter is always hot, because we have a winning team inside the country (Juve) that has not a sufficient record in Europe yet...while the rival team (Ac Milan) has got an excellent collection of european trophys, specially in the last 2 decades, but is often poor in Italy.
between the two teams there's lot of difference in both two levels, and it's natural for everyone to be proud of their own history.

If there's not doubt about the fact that Champions L. is priceless for every supporter and the highest objective for every football team and player, it's also a fact that it is not commun to win it even for the best clubs........so that, it can pass lots of years before winning again. Moreover, all passes through one night...at the end of may: you can be the best team all over the year, playing well and winning all the matches......but if you miss the last match, you won't be considered.
ON the other hand, you can be not very good all the year, but continuing to go through...and at the end, hopefully for a penalty missed from the others, you can be the winner of the winners.

The leagues have not got the same peaks of emotions, but ensure a walk more costant and final result more representative of the values. you can taste the victory for a longer time, and at the end is just the right reward.

Let's take as exemple Benitez's Liverpool of last decade....they had a great night in Istanbul 2005, but in face of several years of frustration in the league. Was it worthy ..... or would a couple of Premier Leagues without a Champions L. have been better for them ??

So.....what's the feeling of a Barcelona supporter or other clubs' guests of this forum ???

Last edited:

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Interesting question however when I look at Juventus and Milan for example then I'd prefer to have Milan's trophies and more importantly domination in europe.

I'd rather have AC Milans record of 7 CL titles and 18 League titles then 2 CL titles and 30 league titles.

Plus AC have dominated europe which Juventus have never done. reaching and losing finals does not count btw before you suggest the 96-03 era as domination.

Juventus would need 2 more CL titles and reach 4 CL overall for me to change my mind. Unless in that time Milan also win some league titles which granted seems unlikely. Juventus are more likely to win the CL sooner than Milan the league so you never know.

As a LFC supporter it is a question not for me to answer really as we have 5 CL and more importantly are only one of few (Real, Ajax, Bayern, Milan and Barca the others) to properly dominate europe. Plus dominate in our national league.

For me that is what I would not give up not matter what. Domination of europe is only something a handful of clubs can say they have done and no one in england apart from us can say the same.

For me the question is more pertinent to Juve, Inter, Benfica, Man Utd, Celtic, Arsenal supporters than anyone else.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Also in respect of what you said the last paragraph regarding our time with Benitez that is a really interesting question. Would I swap that CL win in 2005 for say winning the league in 2009? Some LFC supporters would say yes. But I say no for one reason.

That 2005 final will be remembered forever in football folklore and sports folklore. Long after we are all dead that game will be looked upon in football and sports history. So I wouldn't want to give that up.

However if we won the CL in 2007 which wan an unremarkably game and would I have swapped that for the 2009 premier league title then I'd find it hard to not swap that but that is a dilema that never came to fruition as we won neither of those things.

H

Haruko The Goon

I wouldn't trade our unbeaten season for a CL title.

But I would trade a double, for a CL. - purley for the prize money.

ejuventus

interesting Anfield, thanks for contributing

-) I don't hide envy about Ac Milan european record, specially because we could easily be at 5 ........ 2 is really too few for us
For that reason, I don't agree with you saying that we haven't ever had a european domination era. We did have, and twice: Platini-era (1982-85) and 1 Lippi (1994-94)

with Platini we reached 3 Finals in a row (2 Champions and 1 Cup's Winners Cup) winning 2 (if we include Heysel) and losing in Athen in 1983 vs. Hambourg
In those years, Juve were undubitably the best team in the world: 6 italian world champions (all the most decisive men of that team) plus Platini (probably the best european player ever) and Boniek (polish captain, arrived 3rd at World Cup)...... we ruled all the years, included Liverpool in European SuperCup in Jan 1985.
We felt sure to beat eeryone , and we did.
That team missed only one match, the Final in the first year....otherwise I'm sure we had 3 Champions in a row

1st Lippi era (1994-Feb. 99) saw Juve reaching 4 european Final in a row (UEFA 95- Champions 96-97-98)
The problem appeared again......and we lost too many Finals: 3 on 4, 2 on 3 in Champions.......but you cannot say that Juve wasn't the team of referement in european football. Again we felt sure to beat anyone, and we actually did all the year .....expcet those final matches: important for the annals, but not for the value of a team.

I don't consider 2003, when we already felt down as a team and it ws an excpetion.
But you can't cont only the trophies, without considering all the rest.........otherwise are Juve like Notthingam Forrest or Porto ?? and are Man. UTD just a step in front of them, only because J. Terry felt down kicking a penalty in moscow ??
Not...... what a team does all along the year makes the difference..... not a case we were the team with the highest number of Balon d'Or until someone tried to destroy us. Why otherwise ??

The reason then why Juve have lost all those Finals can be discussed, but I feel to say that in those 2 periods Juve ruled european football...not because I'm supporter and someone else can confirm.

2) your case fits well with the question, with the opposite reason of us:.....24 years without a national title make you willing of changing an "ordinary" CL with a PL
It's an interesting statement from you....and confirm that the best answer depends on club and club.
Of course, you will never change Istanbul 2005 with anything else....understandable

But for the same reason, I can hardly refuse some of our Scudetti, even taken singularly....I can remember 2002 and 2012, I wouldn't change with anything
But also other more normal national title, at the end they're never normal....... they sign the history of a club, and who win them know bettter the meaning than the others......a demonstration is that whoever team win a national league, the celebrations are always relevant

DB10

I don't think any Arsenal fan who saw the end of the 89 season would swap it for any number of European cups.

I'd swap the 2001–02 title win for a European cup since we've never won it....If only Henry scored that second...wouldn't swap the 98 double season or the unbeaten season.

H

Haruko The Goon

In the modern era, CL are extremely significant. But go back 20 years and before, not so much.

It was something clubs and players would want to win, but no way at the expense of a League win. Nowadays, I think teams would side with the CL over a domestic trophy (Look at this thread, perfect example) How many titles would you trade for a CL.... goes to show the natural siding is with a big European cup.

You can fluke a Cup, you can't fluke a league though... So the Glitz and Glamour do indeed surround the CL, and a major attraction is the money that comes with it. But the league is brutal and I think even more difficult to win, especially in the top 5 leagues in Europe. (Not France/Germany though lol)

H

Haruko The Goon

I don't think any Arsenal fan who saw the end of the 89 season would swap it for any number of European cups.

I'd swap the 2001–02 title win for a European cup since we've never won it....If only Henry scored that second...wouldn't swap the 98 double season or the unbeaten season.

:( if only lol God damn it.

raskolnikov

In the modern era, CL are extremely significant. But go back 20 years and before, not so much.

It was something clubs and players would want to win, but no way at the expense of a League win. Nowadays, I think teams would side with the CL over a domestic trophy (Look at this thread, perfect example) How many titles would you trade for a CL.... goes to show the natural siding is with a big European cup.

You can fluke a Cup, you can't fluke a league though... So the Glitz and Glamour do indeed surround the CL, and a major attraction is the money that comes with it. But the league is brutal and I think even more difficult to win, especially in the top 5 leagues in Europe. (Not France/Germany though lol)

Cl is easily more difficult to win, teams like City/United or Chelsea have a much better chance of winning the league than the cl, same goes for Barca, Juve or Real.

H

Haruko The Goon

Cl is easily more difficult to win, teams like City/United or Chelsea have a much better chance of winning the league than the cl, same goes for Barca, Juve or Real.

But you can't fluke a league title. You can fluke a cup triumph.

footyfan

Calma, calma
People keep saying league is harder to win but how many teams have more CL titles than league titles?

I would trade 2 leagues for 1 CL, as in I value 1 CL as 2 league titles.

Last edited:

XaviMessiGirl

No I wouldn't, not for Barca, Liverpool or Inter. Inter's the most likely I would say yes to, but then I realized if we gave up any scudetti then Milan would have more than us. :puke:

Home of Barca Fans