Hockey/NHL

barcanuck

Just a question, why were the goals per average in an NHL game so high in the 80's???? Gretzky's points total during some of those years just look inhuman. Wish I was able to watch that guy in his prime......

Good question... multiple factors contributed to the Great one having 200+ pts:

1) Less Teams in the league thus having less watered down teams and the good teams all had 4 proper lines
2) Bigger, stronger, faster was not yet on the horizon. Fitness gurus, regiments were not yet in place. It was just a warrior vs skilled players game.
3) Bigger goalie equipment now compared to then as you mentioned has a ton to do with it.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Subban is back!

:lol: You don't have any luck this season, do you?

This season is obviously going down the drain harder than the rain in England, and that in itself is an achievement not many can be proud of.

I hate my team, and hate the auto-draft.

hellsangel1

Liked the Blues-Red Wings game....although the game was ruined in the end by a bad call. I haven't watched hockey for long but one of the players that I admire is Datsyuk. I've always admired the creative players.

Saw the Rangers-Penguins game and Crosby was pretty ordinary, he hasn't had a great start to the season and with Ovechkin struggling as well I think the league needs at least one of it's two biggest stars to start performing.

Was hoping to watch the Capitals against Pens but with Barca's game coming up, I'm just going to watch it on replay.

thezone

5 out 6 canadian teams on a playoff spot for the moment.

Carolina is 17th in the league but still the best team team in SE division.

Mitchell1978

Good question... multiple factors contributed to the Great one having 200+ pts:

1) Less Teams in the league thus having less watered down teams and the good teams all had 4 proper lines
2) Bigger, stronger, faster was not yet on the horizon. Fitness gurus, regiments were not yet in place. It was just a warrior vs skilled players game.
3) Bigger goalie equipment now compared to then as you mentioned has a ton to do with it.

Don't forget the most important reason, he was much better then anyone who is playing right now, he wouldn't score 200 points in the current NHL but he would lead the socring race by a significant margin.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Unreal game going on right now Kings w the comeback and take the lead 5-4 against Blues in the 3rd.

This season is such a bizzarre one.

Masses of injuries, Blackhawks cruising through the season on autopilot and Montreal sitting tight close to the top.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Sweden blanked Finland 3-0 and will face the winner of US vs Suisse from today in the IIHF World Hockey Championship...Suisse dominatio, 3-0 over US...Final tomorrow, Sweden vs Suisse

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans