Glasgow Rangers

Jenks

It'd most likely be a set number of British players though, right? Because they'd be using the official citizenship.

I don't see why they would. You can't represent any of the home nations just by having a British passport.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Well can't anyone born in the British isles play for England though? Not to mention that all it takes is to have a grandparent from N. Ireland/Wales/Scotland (not sure about the last one) to play for them. To use an example, in Spain all that mattered was that you needed a Spanish passport, you could still be playing for another nation.

El Gato

Villarato!
Don't see the problem of their relegation. It's fun kicking ass with them in Scottish Third League in FM.

Jenks

Well can't anyone born in the British isles play for England though?

No. You either need to have been born in England, have an English parent or grandparent, or have spent at least 5 years in English football before the age of 18 and have a British passport. The latter is due to an agreement between the four home nations.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
No. You either need to have been born in England, have an English parent or grandparent, or have spent at least 5 years in English football before the age of 18 and have a British passport. The latter is due to an agreement between the four home nations.
I wonder if the same can/would be applied to club football. I don't think the FA would dare to force clubs like Swansea to field x number of English players and completely disregard the Welsh.

Also it's possible that many of the Scots/Welshmen would have atleast partly English ancestry.

According to the article below FIFA actually seems to be somewhat involved in the agreement, which kind of surprises me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_eligibility_rules

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the FA would make exceptions for "foreign" clubs.

Jenks

Well the FA would have no control over the matter. The Premier League and Football League are separate. The FL clubs and PL clubs would have to vote on it, as they did with the EPPP. I could see the FL voting it in, but I can't see the Premier League willingly restricting the number of foreign players they can use. At the moment you need a certain number of "home-grown" players, but in reality that just means players who have spent x amount of time in English academies.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans