Gerard Gumbau

Ritchie

It's not a coincidence that players stopped getting through the ranks when Rosell became president. You don't magically get world class potentials in your youth set-up who then magically push someone out of Barça's starting eleven. Nobody is saying there should be a definite first team candidate in our youth players right now but look at how Munir, Sandro, Deulofeu, Adama, Halilovic, Suarez, Grimaldo, Samper, etc. all are being handled right now. Heck, even Bartra who is 24, won best defender in Liga Adelante and has been in the first team for God knows how long is still waiting to get a sniff of some first team football. There's no way none of these guys doesn't have what it takes if only they were mentored and played in the correct way.
Judging from past season and the start now, nurturing youngsters into the first team is arguably the biggest flaw in Lucho as a manager.

Intelligent input into the discussion. Please continue.

In some examples I agree, but there's so little there. We don't even have a Cuenca to back up MSN... All we have is Bartra, Sergi Roberto and Rafinha just from the last few years. Neither are Barca first XI material but can do a job for the squad and even one of them is crocked now. Barca should have more players coming through that can be relied upon as back up to pad out the squad. Even Real Madrid have Casemiro, Cheryshev, Jese and Carvajal as back up that have come through. Even Odegaard would be on ahead of Gumbau all day long. We'd want all of those players at the moment.

In my view Samper should at least be ahead of Gumbau who has no business playing for Barca in La Liga. Adama and/or Deulefeu should have stuck around at least until January, but there's such a talent drain all of a sudden when unlike at the peak of the squad a few years back when even Thiago couldn't break through properly - the opportunities are there to get games. Right back has been a problem position but one of the brightest talents in Montoya just didn't take the opportunities. And has Grimaldo regressed that much that he can't play ahead of Adriano?

Last edited:

Ustari

Mou, res!
Intelligent input into the discussion. Please continue.

Firstly, we are not Arsenal sort like. We can't afford to give first team chances to La Masia youngsters just because they're technically talented. Xavi for instance said that he faced like 200 more talented players than him during his time at La Masia but only him and Puyol made it to the first team. That talent alone doesn't guarantee these so called La Masia gems succeeded at the highest level. Now I'm pretty sure none of us know how these talented bunch fare at the training ground, their attitude towards the coaching staff or whether they follow the strict diet regime. So don't tell me that you know better than Lucho

Or maybe Lucho just wants to keep their feet on the ground. Remember Xavi the day when he broke into the first team? He had to live under the shadow of Pep Guardiola at that time, how he supposed to be the next Pep. Xavi even admitted himself that he was under immense pressure to fill the void left by him. Xavi at that time imo wasn't really comfortable with his role due to the burden he carried as the next Pep. It took him several seasons before he managed to settle as a first team player. Now back to Samper, I sincerely believe that Lucho is taking a very cautious approach on how to deal with him. To be labelled as the next Xavi isn't really a good thing to a young lad like Samper. For me Samper needs to work hard in training, add more to his game and be patient just like Sergi Roberto

God Serena

Everyone with eyes, well.

A few weeks ago, user [MENTION=11668]khaled_a_d[/MENTION] was the only one who doubted Samper.
As the time passes, I am leaning to his side more and more.

And what the majority think, well, it doesn't need to be objective.
Let's be honest, 90% of Barca's forum are desperate for a new La Masia star.
When was the last time we had a La Masia superstar, Pedro and Busi, right? (I am not counting Thiago, because he never succeeded here).

So, people are jumping on a hype train from a player to player, because we are desperate for what we love the most.
= young La Masia superstars

A few years ago, probably 90% users here believed that Bartra is the best defender since 1998' and Puyol.
Well, you see how wrong were 90% of our fans in the end.

When some players slightly disappointed, Samper was the next player with the highest chances.
If he will fail, we will all turn to Lee. He must be "it", isn't it?
If he fails, I don't know, we will turn all of our hopes onto Alena or onto those 2 young central defenders. They will be much better than Bartra, won't they?
They have to (we all hope)...

But look, since Pique and Fabregas (and somewhat Bellerin, and Thiago who wanted to leave), none of our young players proved that our board was wrong and that we lost a starting material.
All players who left the club or who didn't get chances here, proved to be not good for Barca in the end. (If you get my point)

Lucho gave really A LOT of chances to Munir, Sandro, Rafinha, Mats and now Gumbau.
If he sees nothing special in Samper, I am starting to believe that there must be "something wrong" with Samper.

They know him from trainings and from a Bteam.
Lucho can talk to Gerard Lopez and other former coaches.
Who knows, maybe Samper is extremely hot and cold, or afraid of pressure, or has who knows which mental problems or something.

Some will say that Lucho and the board are idiots because they let Deulo and Adama go.
But, if anyone wants to bet how those 2 will play this season in much weaker clubs, we can bet.
Halil was not sold, he still has some chances to prove himself.

I want to say, the board was more or less right in the last few years.
Most of younger player had some chances.
And all players who failed here, turned out to be very average and meh in all other clubs they played later.

If you want to look back at the past, and realize how people are always desperate, just look at this topic, and our 10 brightest potentials 5 years ago:
http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/4079-10-La-Masia-products-to-watch-by-FCBarca

Some interesting posts from 2010:

The next Xavi, Espinosa, now plays in Elche.
The next Messi, Assulin, doesn't play football anymore.
The next Etoo, Etock, plays in Makabi Thikva, lol.

So, were our coaches wrong because these guys didn't get more chances here.
Or these guys just weren't Barca's 1st team material?

Try to put Samper, Deulo, Adama and Grimaldo now in that story.

You seem to be assuming I'm on the hunt for a new La Masia star. I am not. I want what is best for the team. I want trophies. We could close La Masia tomorrow and sell every last B team player and I wouldn't be affected one bit. I was actually glad we got rid of the likes of Adama and Deulofeu and Halilovic and it's my pleasure to see at least one of those may just prove me wrong by the end of the season. My problem is not that Lucho isn't using Samper, but that he's using Gumbau, who's presence actually harms the first team. Whether or not Samper will or won't be good he's still better than whatever this thing is that played as DM yesterday as Busi's backup. I have much the same attitude for any instance where Adriano plays or when Mascherano is used as DM. Gumbau is not a good option. Roberto, Samper, and even fucking Mascherano of all people are better options there. So why the hell is Gumbau playing as DM for us? I've seen both play and the difference in quality, especially as DM, is staggering. Even if nobody at all rated Samper and he had no prospective future it would still make the most sense to pick the best option to fill a role. Gumbau was selected due to Rafinha's injury despite not being anywhere near the same type of player as Rafinha, and he ended up being used as a DM, a role of which he can't even dream of fulfilling.

khaled_a_d

Lucho has no clue how to handle, use & evaluate youngsters.

Just a quick reminder ,Lucho isn't only the coach who won us the treble ,nor the coach who has helped Rafinha to be Liga best young player .he is the arguably Barca B greatest coach in history
He took a team that was just promoted from 4th division ,brought him back into segunda after only 2 years of tenure for the 1st time since 1999 and for the 1st time in our history Barca B finished 3rd in Segunda with team record 71 points .best position Barca B had b4 was 6th
He was the coach of the B team that was feeder for Pep team .Tello/Cuenca/Pedro/Thiago/Roberto/Montoya/Bartra etc all played with him in Barca B
He is also the same coach who gave Samper/Munir/Sandro plenty of chances with 1st team last year .with half of Barca B trained with him and given chances during pre-season
He gave Roberto his trust when we thought his career here is over ,he sticked to Rafinha and he was turning into solid squad player
Bottom line ,Lucho has given me plenty of reasons to trust his vision and decisions
I don't rate Gumbau one bit ,but I am interested to wait on him to see what Lucho see of him and why he rate him highly .he might turn wrong ,he might change his mind .but that will take time and I am willing to be patient and see if the kid can prove us all wrong or is gonna prove us right

Last edited:

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
Everyone with eyes, well.

A few weeks ago, user [MENTION=11668]khaled_a_d[/MENTION] was the only one who doubted Samper.
As the time passes, I am leaning to his side more and more.

And what the majority think, well, it doesn't need to be objective.
Let's be honest, 90% of Barca's forum are desperate for a new La Masia star.
When was the last time we had a La Masia superstar, Pedro and Busi, right? (I am not counting Thiago, because he never succeeded here).

So, people are jumping on a hype train from a player to player, because we are desperate for what we love the most.
= young La Masia superstars

A few years ago, probably 90% users here believed that Bartra is the best defender since 1998' and Puyol.
Well, you see how wrong were 90% of our fans in the end.

When some players slightly disappointed, Samper was the next player with the highest chances.
If he will fail, we will all turn to Lee. He must be "it", isn't it?
If he fails, I don't know, we will turn all of our hopes onto Alena or onto those 2 young central defenders. They will be much better than Bartra, won't they?
They have to (we all hope)...

But look, since Pique and Fabregas (and somewhat Bellerin, and Thiago who wanted to leave), none of our young players proved that our board was wrong and that we lost a starting material.
All players who left the club or who didn't get chances here, proved to be not good for Barca in the end. (If you get my point)

Lucho gave really A LOT of chances to Munir, Sandro, Rafinha, Mats and now Gumbau.
If he sees nothing special in Samper, I am starting to believe that there must be "something wrong" with Samper.

They know him from trainings and from a Bteam.
Lucho can talk to Gerard Lopez and other former coaches.
Who knows, maybe Samper is extremely hot and cold, or afraid of pressure, or has who knows which mental problems or something.

Some will say that Lucho and the board are idiots because they let Deulo and Adama go.
But, if anyone wants to bet how those 2 will play this season in much weaker clubs, we can bet.
Halil was not sold, he still has some chances to prove himself.

I want to say, the board was more or less right in the last few years.
Most of younger player had some chances.
And all players who failed here, turned out to be very average and meh in all other clubs they played later.

If you want to look back at the past, and realize how people are always desperate, just look at this topic, and our 10 brightest potentials 5 years ago:
http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/4079-10-La-Masia-products-to-watch-by-FCBarca

Some interesting posts from 2010:

The next Xavi, Espinosa, now plays in Elche.
The next Messi, Assulin, doesn't play football anymore.
The next Etoo, Etock, plays in Makabi Thikva, lol.

So, were our coaches wrong because these guys didn't get more chances here.
Or these guys just weren't Barca's 1st team material?

Try to put Samper, Deulo, Adama and Grimaldo now in that story.

Your whole post says "if the manager does something, then that means there's something we don't know and the manager is right".
But one of the greatest managers ever, ferguson, completely failed in judging pogba, so your argument doesn't hold.
Managers do mistakes all the time.

God Serena

Your whole post says "if the manager does something, then that means there's something we don't know and the manager is right".
But one of the greatest managers ever, ferguson, completely failed in judging pogba, so your argument doesn't hold.
Managers do mistakes all the time.

Anytime someone mentions Pogba to him I always find myself laughing.

That thread was by far my favorite one to lurk on prior to registering.

Zebulun

here's what lucho said today, i hope we come to see what he is seeing.

Enrique: "Gumbau is physically strong and has good passing"

Enrique: "Gumbau can be a pivot or an interior. He's a very interesting player."

khaled_a_d

here's what lucho said today, i hope we come to see what he is seeing.

Enrique: "Gumbau is physically strong and has good passing"

Enrique: "Gumbau can be a pivot or an interior. He's a very interesting player."

Enrique (first team coach): "Gumbau vs Samper? I don't like to compare players, it's ugly" [sport]
That was a perfect answer by Lucho :lol:

F

Flavia

Luis Enrique: "Gumbau or Samper? I don't like comparing players, they each have their own attributes."

He probably rates Gumbau higher because he's more physical. A shame, really. I can't see Gumbau making it. He doesn't even show glimpses of talent.

Zebulun

Luis Enrique: "Gumbau or Samper? I don't like comparing players, they each have their own attributes."

He probably rates Gumbau higher because he's more physical. A shame, really. I can't see Gumbau making it. He doesn't even show glimpses of talent.

lucho sometimes makes some really odd decisions. makes me wonder if iniesta, xavi or messi wouldve come through with him at the helm.

BBZ8800

Enrique: "Gumbau is PHYSICALLY STRONG and has good passing"

lucho sometimes makes some really odd decisions. makes me wonder if iniesta, xavi or messi wouldve come through with him at the helm.

We talked about that on the other topic (Lee).
No need to go into extremes and to say that we either have to play with 11 softer players like Xavi-Iniesta or with 11 robots with 190cms and 100% muscles.

Pep was the only coach who preferred more or less 11 softer/shorter, but extremely technical players.
Other coaches from the last 20 years like Van Gaal, Rijkaard and now Lucho prefer a mixture of shorter and technical players like Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and 3-4-5 players who are taller and stronger to get some balance.

So, Lucho's answer about physical strength doesn't need to mean that he would say no to young Xavi and Messi.
It only means that he wants a few stronger players, and that he probably thinks that midfield players should be somewhat stronger.
(Or that we already have enough of softer players and he would rather like some height and muscles currently.)

He already bought somewhat stronger midfielders in Rakitic and Turan.
He wanted Pogba.

Vidal is for now (physically) "the weakest" player whom Lucho bought.

Last edited:

God Serena

We talked about that on the other topic (Lee).
No need to go into extremes and to say that we either have to play with 11 softer players like Xavi-Iniesta or with 11 robots with 190cms and 100% muscles.

Pep was the only coach who preferred more or less 11 softer/shorter, but extremely technical players.
Other coaches from the last 20 years like Van Gaal, Rijkaard and now Lucho prefer a mixture of shorter and technical players like Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and 3-4-5 players who are taller and stronger to get some balance.

So, Lucho's answer about physical strength doesn't need to mean that he would say no to young Xavi and Messi.
It only means that he wants a few stronger players, and that he probably thinks that midfield players should be somewhat stronger.
(Or that we already have enough of softer players and he would rather like some height and muscles currently.)

He already bought somewhat stronger midfielders in Rakitic and Turan.
He wanted Pogba.

Vidal is for now (physically) "the weakest" player whom Lucho bought.

Munir technically counts as a player brought in (Promoted) By Lucho and I could bench press him with my arms tied behind my back.

Home of Barca Fans