Gerard Deulofeu

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
There was a discussion when Dembele got injured on who should replace him and most of us thought it should be Deu. He played good at the start of the season and now he is as good as gone.
Things change fast in football.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He got found out after a few games. He is the ultimate one-trick pony, and a bad one at that too.

I wouldn't classify Robben as a one-trick pony, but even when the defenders know he'll cut in he's just so good at it that they cannot stop him. Deulofeu is the opposite. So shitty at his one trick that the defenders don't even bother as they know even if they get to him late he'll cross the ball into their legs.

Deulofeu and Adama two players with raw ability, but with no footballing iq whatsoever. Disappointing.

desoe

There was a discussion when Dembele got injured on who should replace him and most of us thought it should be Deu. He played good at the start of the season and now he is as good as gone.
Things change fast in football.

In this case, things don't change actually. He came here as a mediocre player and played as a mediocre player. Because he's a mediocre player. He was NEVER a Barcelona quality, his transfer was a mistake.

Kohe321

He got found out after a few games. He is the ultimate one-trick pony, and a bad one at that too.

I wouldn't classify Robben as a one-trick pony, but even when the defenders know he'll cut in he's just so good at it that they cannot stop him. Deulofeu is the opposite. So shitty at his one trick that the defenders don't even bother as they know even if they get to him late he'll cross the ball into their legs.

Deulofeu and Adama two players with raw ability, but with no footballing iq whatsoever. Disappointing.

Yeah, this move could be effective in the beginning:

giphy.gif

Problem is that he hasn't added many other moves to his repertoire. Very predictable, as you say.

Alik

In this case, things don't change actually. He came here as a mediocre player and played as a mediocre player. Because he's a mediocre player. He was NEVER a Barcelona quality, his transfer was a mistake.

Nah, he was never meant to be more than a squad player. If we sell him at a profit, then his transfer won't have been a mistake.

Kohe321

His transfer was worth the shot I think, especially considering how our summer on the transfer market had been. There was a time when he was considered a major La Masia talent, so the homegrown aspect certainly played a role as well. We always cheer a little bit more for players from our own ranks to make it here, but every La Masia story won't end in a career like the one Iniesta has had. It's best for both parties if Deulofeu finds another club. Once Dembele comes back he will be in the same pecking order as Arda...

Last edited:

Adversus

Club saw his market value being higher than buyback. It was purely financial call. He would have never had as many chances if Dembele would have stayed fit.

I really don't see how this would be so. Everton's terms pretty much stops this happening because we will receive a sell on fee.

I think what has happened is that he doesn't want to be a squad player down the pecking order and has asked to go.

He had big doubts about rejoining but given the situation at Everton he probably felt he has nothing to lose and let's be honest he needed to give Barca a go.

He's not good enough to be a starter at a top team but I wouldn't be surprised if he reaches the level of someone like Salah. I think Italy is also the best league for him too.

Joan

He was brought because we needed a backup winger. The Only winger we had at that time was Neymar. I don't think his transfer was a mistake although it didn't turn out good.

xXKonan

It was a cheap gamble but I think everyone knew what we were getting and we hoped that maybe playing with Messi and Suarez he could improve but it turns out some guys are just lost causes.

It's a good thing we got Dembele after Neymar left. I couldn't imagine going a full season with Deulo on the wings. :lol:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It was a cheap gamble but I think everyone knew what we were getting and we hoped that maybe playing with Messi and Suarez he could improve but it turns out some guys are just lost causes.

It's a good thing we got Dembele after Neymar left. I couldn't imagine going a full season with Deulo on the wings. :lol:

The thought of it gives me anxiety.

xXKonan

He tore it up coming through La Masia, but how many times have we heard of that token youth player in general that comes through said system that looks like the real deal only to completely fall apart once they hit the top level?

Deulo was a good example of this. He looked like the real deal coming through La Masia, but once he started playing at the top level his flaws that a lot of people seem to have not noticed were amplified to the extreme.

Same thing happened with Adama as well, he like Deulofeu looked like the real deal but even at Barca B however his flaws were apparent. He had speed,great technical ability , and he was physically strong as well. But he lacked the Brains to truly put everything together. Hell go back to 2008 when we considered Bojan to be jewel himself. He tore it up coming through the system only to never live up to the hype and level that he had shown then.

Players like Mbappe and Dembele despite being younger and while they do have flaws themselves have shown that they have the Brains and potential to live up to expectations down the line.

Kohe321

He tore it up coming through La Masia, but how many times have we heard of that token youth player in general that comes through said system that looks like the real deal only to completely fall apart once they hit the top level?

Deulo was a good example of this. He looked like the real deal coming through La Masia, but once he started playing at the top level his flaws that a lot of people seem to have not noticed were amplified to the extreme.

Same thing happened with Adama as well, he like Deulofeu looked like the real deal but even at Barca B however his flaws were apparent. He had speed,great technical ability , and he was physically strong as well. But he lacked the Brains to truly put everything together. Hell go back to 2008 when we considered Bojan to be jewel himself. He tore it up coming through the system only to never live up to the hype and level that he had shown then.

Players like Mbappe and Dembele despite being younger and while they do have flaws themselves have shown that they have the Brains and potential to live up to expectations down the line.

Yes good point. This is why it's a good idea to remain a bit calm and not over hype players that look fantastic in the La Masia system, or even in Barca B, because they need to continue scaling their level of play all the way up to world class for it to be relevant for the first team. Many times these young players can play with a lot of flair simply because they face very weak and gullible opposition, and since they never got challenged enough to properly build football intelligence and the basics properly, they could surf the wave of their initial young talent and athleticism throughout the academy system, only to crash hard when finally faced with tough opposition with the first team. I'd be more hopeful about a player who shows intelligence, humbleness and hard work, and who is able to scale his level of influence on the pitch year after year, all the way up to the first team. Many of the players that have ended up making it have had slow ascents to the top.

Last edited:

Ronaldinho10

Yes good point. This is why it's a good idea to remain a bit calm and not over hype players that look fantastic in the La Masia system, or even in Barca B, because they need to continue scaling their level of play all the way up to world class for it to be relevant for the first team. Many times these young players can play with a lot of flair simply because they face very weak and gullible opposition, and since they never got challenged enough to properly build football intelligence and the basics properly, they could surf the wave of their initial young talent and athleticism throughout the academy system, only to crash hard when finally faced with tough opposition with the first team. I'd be more hopeful about a player who shows intelligence, humbleness and hard work, and who is able to scale his level of influence on the pitch year after year, all the way up to the first team. Many of the players that have ended up making it have had slow ascents to the top.

Watch some old interviews with Iniesta as a youngster coming up from la masia into the barca A team. A classic example of how a young player rising to top should do it. He was always humble always stayed with his feet on the ground and realized he needs to put hard work 1st before anything else. Such an amazing sport figure even as a youngster.

Adversus

He's still only 23. Another 3 years of development playing for a good Series A team will improve his football IQ. But let's be honest. His career hadn't been a disaster. It's just not quite reached the heights required to be a starter at Barca.

Home of Barca Fans