Gerard Deulofeu

serghei

No I dont think any traditional touchline winger ever stayed exclusively to the right wing but that is where they play for vast majority of game and their main aim was to get ball down and cross it into the box at every opportunity which is Deulofeus main role at Everton.

Tonight he broke the record for crosses attempted by any player in the past two years.

He shows very little ability to bring others into play in the build up and loses the ball a hell of a lot.

You never debunked anything.

I agree. I think PL suits him, because in England the role-players and rigid systems are still very much in use. And Deulofeu is very good as a role player. He has 3 things that go well for him. He has speed, quick feet (dribbling basically) and he's a pretty good crosser. If you have these 3 things, in England you would be a very good no7, in the mold of Ashley Young or Aaron Lennon for example. The usual way a winger in England gets an assist is by way of a cross. Standard way of playing in EPL, you win space for yourself in the wing in order execute a cross, usually to a CF wrestling with defenders inside the box (Berbatov for Lennon, Lukaku for Deulofeu, Agbonlahor for Young).

The role player execute tasks. Does not think outside of what he is instructed to do. Usually, a player like Neymar, Messi, Suarez etc., will act based on circumstances of play more often than not. Sometimes they will cross, sometimes they will make a through ball, sometimes a dribble, a one-two etc based on what their talent and their game-intelligence tells them in that specific and circumstantial moment. Sometimes, given the same situations, they might make totally different decisions. Role players won't do that, because it's not their job to think on an individual level. They will impose the course of action in a mechanical way (by not taking other things in consideration), thus resulting in a limitation, partly because of the tactic, partly because of the player.

Last edited:

Adversus

I agree. I think PL suits him, because in England the role-players and rigid systems are still very much in use. And Deulofeu is very good as a role player. He has 3 things that go well for him. He has speed, quick feet (dribbling basically) and he's a pretty good crosser. If you have these 3 things, in England you would be a very good no7, in the mold of Ashley Young or Aaron Lennon for example. The usual way a winger in England gets an assist is by way of a cross. Standard way of playing in EPL, you win space for yourself in the wing in order execute a cross, usually to a CF wrestling with defenders inside the box (Berbatov for Lennon, Lukaku for Deulofeu, Agbonlahor for Young).

The role player execute tasks. Does not think outside of what he is instructed to do. Usually, a player like Neymar, Messi, Suarez etc., will act based on circumstances of play more often than not. Sometimes they will cross, sometimes they will make a through ball, sometimes a dribble, a one-two etc based on what their talent and their game-intelligence tells them in that specific and circumstantial moment. Sometimes, given the same situations, they might make totally different decisions. Role players won't do that, because it's not their job to think on an individual level. They will impose the course of action in a mechanical way (by not taking other things in consideration), thus resulting in a limitation, partly because of the tactic, partly because of the player.

I don't think it has anything to do with the difference between La Liga and Premier League. Those 3 players are arguably the 3 best players in the world.

Suarez when he played for Liverpool played exactly like he does for Barca. If anything he played with more freedom with Sterling and Sturridge going were they liked as well. It's simply what happens when really good players play with each other and are allowed the freedom by the coach. We are also starting to play a bit like that although not quite there yet. Barkley, Lukaku and Deulofeu just need a bit more experience.

Kohe321

He is playing very well from the little I have seen so far (started watching 28 minutes into the game). Great to see! :)

Last edited:

raki

9 goals and 17 assists this season. Just what he needed. Confidence and playing time. The talent was always there. I would bring him next season to be the 1st sub for MSN.
Deulofeu is miles ahead of Munir and Sandro who should be loaned.

Last edited:

Galning

I've seen a compilation of Deulofeu and it might as well have been a Lukaku goal comp. The amount of assists he's giving him in not even half a season is ridiculous.

Applecart

9 goals and 17 assists this season. Just what he needed. Confidence and playing time. The talent was always there. I would bring him next season to be the 1st sub for MSN.
Deulofeu is miles ahead of Munir and Sandro who should be loaned.

you he mean has 3 goals and 7 assists, not sure where the hell you pulled those stats from

Home of Barca Fans