France Football accuses Qatar of bribing votes for the 2022 World Cup

Der Kaiser

I hate Qatar so fking badly (personal reasons) but seriously why is everybody against the idea of a Middle Eastern country hosting the WC ? i hope Qatar get stripped and if it set for a Middle Eastern country to host the 2022 WC i hope it's UAE .

Giving a WC to a middle eastern country is like giving a skiing grand prix to Mexico. They dont have a football culture whatsoever and the climate is not suited for the sport.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Giving a WC to a middle eastern country is like giving a skiing grand prix to Mexico. They dont have a football culture whatsoever and the climate is not suited for the sport.

To say the middle eastern countries don't have a football culture can not be further from the truth. They love football there.

Der Kaiser

To say the middle eastern countries don't have a football culture can not be further from the truth. They love football there.

Please, their clubs can barely fill 10k seat stadiums. And you can only play the sport for about 3 months a year without being in risk of dying on the pitch. Just because their Sheiks love investing money into the sport doesnt mean the public cares so much about it.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

Just because there's a high population of people there who own Messi/Ronaldo jerseys doesn't mean there is a football culture. Middle eastern countries have a pretty big fanbase but a majority of that is for Barca/RM and the influence of the sport on Middle Eastern culture is relatively muted compared to Spain, Germany, South American countries, England, Italy, etc. where football is a big sporting tradition.

That's not to say that football culture is only available in those powerhouse countries (South Africa did have a pretty great atmosphere after all) but Middle Eastern countries mainly just represent the media popularity of football and how a consensus of fans adore the biggest stars. Culture itself is far different.

Crixus

Have you been to Middle Eastern country ?
Quote : They dont have a football culture , lel Arabs love football just like South Americans .
the climate is just the same as South American .
if you say WC country host must be rich with football culture then why they gave it to South Africa and Japan/Korea / USA .

Last edited:

Der Kaiser

:lol: at people actually trying to defend this farce of a World Cup. Not gonna bother posting here any more. Enjoy your bought World Cup in deadly hot country infront of stadiums built by slaves, watching it at home during our cold-ass winter without anybody celebrating on the streets.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Please, their clubs can barely fill 10k seat stadiums. And you can only play the sport for about 3 months a year without being in risk of dying on the pitch. Just because their Sheiks love investing money into the sport doesnt mean the public cares so much about it.

I don't know, their national teams used to be pretty good (maybe not up to Europe's level but still), I remember countries like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE and Kuwait used to give the Chinese NT (well, yeah they have been very crappy :lol:) a hard time every time we played them and their stadiums were filled with zealous fans cheering for the home team.

In any event, I don't see why middle eastern countries shouldn't be hosting a WC.

Chainsaw

Killahead

Just because there's a high population of people there who own Messi/Ronaldo jerseys doesn't mean there is a football culture. Middle eastern countries have a pretty big fanbase but a majority of that is for Barca/RM and the influence of the sport on Middle Eastern culture is relatively muted compared to Spain, Germany, South American countries, England, Italy, etc. where football is a big sporting tradition.

That's not to say that football culture is only available in those powerhouse countries (South Africa did have a pretty great atmosphere after all) but Middle Eastern countries mainly just represent the media popularity of football and how a consensus of fans adore the biggest stars. Culture itself is far different.

I agree with both of you. Strip these farce fuckers off the World Cup.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

So Don, you are saying "football culture" is defined as not only loving football, but to have it as part of your tradition? Did I get that right?

If that's the case, the WC can only be held in European and South American countries. The US of A has no football tradition, yet they were allowed to host the WC.

And tradition is built, not static. 50 years from now the whole world can claim to have football part of their tradition. Even the US perhaps. ;)

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
:lol: at people actually trying to defend this farce of a World Cup. Not gonna bother posting here any more. Enjoy your bought World Cup in deadly hot country infront of stadiums built by slaves, watching it at home during our cold-ass winter without anybody celebrating on the streets.

All I am saying is football and the WC should be inclusive, not exclusive. I am all for calling out the Qataris for their despicable acts of enslaving the workers and put them through hell to build the stadiums, I am for the FIFA awarding the WC to a different country in light of this bribery scandal, absolutely. But in principle, I see nothing wrong with Middle Eastern countries hosting the WC. Each country has its own problems and issues.

Kerrybai

While I think Qatar should be stripped of the World Cup I think it's fair to say the middle East does not have a bug footballing culture ( supporting local teams etc )... they still love football. They love teams like Barcelona, United etc and I certainly think they would fill the stadiums when it comes to the games. My issue is what other country could host it? What middle Eastern country has the capacity to build 12+ world class stadiums?

The oil rich countries can do it but if they have to bribe to get votes then they don't deserve it. I would suggest a middle Eastern/North African games where several countries host together but under Fifa rules each country would get an automatic place at the games which wouldn't be fair on everyone else.

So Don, you are saying "football culture" is defined as not only loving football, but to have it as part of your tradition? Did I get that right?

If that's the case, the WC can only be held in European and South American countries. The US of A has no football tradition, yet they were allowed to host the WC.

And tradition is built, not static. 50 years from now the whole world can claim to have football part of their tradition. Even the US perhaps. ;)

Well there is a bit of an issue here. The World Cup requires 12 stadiums over 40k. In a country like Qatar those stadiums are pretty much of no use after the games. The US is different as their stadiums were used for other sports. It should also be noted that the US has one of the best attended leagues in the world right behind France and the Netherlands, so it does in fact have a football culture now.

It's a bit of a shame building stadiums for a single event. Maybe somewhere like Egypt or Iran would benefit more from the stadiums?... although I'm unsure of how Iranian's would treat certain sets of fans.

Last edited:

Crixus

I hate Qatar so fking badly (personal reasons) but seriously why is everybody against the idea of a Middle Eastern country hosting the WC ? i hope Qatar get stripped and if it set for a Middle Eastern country to host the 2022 WC i hope it's UAE .
I guess i have to quote what i said , I'M NOT DEFENDING QATAR but it's not ok to judge the whole middle east because of Qatar , if they bribed and payed dirty money to win the hosting of the WC the they should be stripped but that doesn't mean that a middle eastern country can't host it , equality FFS .

Kerrybai

I guess i have to quote what i said , I'M NOT DEFENDING QATAR but it's not ok to judge the whole middle east because of Qatar , if they bribed and payed dirty money to win the hosting of the WC the they should be stripped but that doesn't mean that a middle eastern country can't host it , equality FFS .

Of course it doesn't mean that, but what country do you suggest?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I am not sure if you can claim they only care about clubs like us, RM and the big EPL clubs. I mean each of these Middle Eastern countries has its own domestic football league and they are still alive and kicking. Can you say the locals don't support these domestic teams? If not, how could they sustain themselves? Subsidies from the government?

I wish our Middle Eastern Cules could chime in on this.

Ketoth

First that's not true. Many middle eastern countries have big stadiums, and have you not seen the ones propoposed by Qatar? They're huge and they look fabulous.
It's called the world cup for a reason, it has to reach the middle east sooner or later. I don't see any problem as to why Qatar shouldn't host the world cup, they've proposed air conditioned stadiums to deal with the weather. Brazil will be scorching hot. The temperature in the stadiums will be much cooler than that in Brazil. The bribery's been linked to Bin Hammam, who Qatar have said does not have any affiliation with their bid.

Home of Barca Fans