FC Barcelona basketball team

Porque

Can't claim to be a Basketball aficionado, but everytime the final four comes around you just know the team will fall short.

Looking at the league and euroleague stats, Barca/Madrid are pretty even. Just that Madrid are a higher scoring team. Guess that makes the difference when the margins are small in KO games.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think it is also about mentality. Like their football brethren, our basketball team doesn't have that winning mentality. Too often they choked and gave away a comfortable lead, too often they fell short when it mattered.

Messi983

3-1 win against Unicaja, after losing game 2 at home we won both games in Malaga pretty convincing.

Final against Madrid starts on Friday.

1o: Barcelona-Real Madrid / Viernes 16 de junio a las 21:00 / Palau Blaugrana
2o: Barcelona-Real Madrid / Domingo 18 de junio a las 18:30 / Palau Blaugrana
3o: Real Madrid-Barcelona / Martes 20 de junio a las 21:00 / WiZink Center
4o: (si fuera necesario): Real Madrid-Barcelona / Jueves 22 de junio a las 21:00 / WiZink Center
5o: (si fuera necesario): Barcelona-Real Madrid / Domingo 25 de junio a las 21:00 / Palau Blaugrana

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
3-1 win against Unicaja, after losing game 2 at home we won both games in Malaga pretty convincing.

Final against Madrid starts on Friday.

1o: Barcelona-Real Madrid / Viernes 16 de junio a las 21:00 / Palau Blaugrana
2o: Barcelona-Real Madrid / Domingo 18 de junio a las 18:30 / Palau Blaugrana
3o: Real Madrid-Barcelona / Martes 20 de junio a las 21:00 / WiZink Center
4o: (si fuera necesario): Real Madrid-Barcelona / Jueves 22 de junio a las 21:00 / WiZink Center
5o: (si fuera necesario): Barcelona-Real Madrid / Domingo 25 de junio a las 21:00 / Palau Blaugrana

Would be great if they won it. Would make us champions in both biggest sports. :)

Messi983

Would be great if they won it. Would make us champions in both biggest sports. :)

Eh, still won't make that bad taste of Euroleague defeat (well, not a loss itself but just how shit we were in 2nd half of that semi-final) go away but let's hope this team still has some pride and will win Liga ACB at least. Don't have high hopes though. I'd say 3-1 series win for Madrid if I'd be a betting man.

Club has communicated Mirotić his contract will be rescinded after the finals, he apparently already has a deal in place with Armani Milan.

Mirotic's departure would be one of the measures with the greatest impact in the significant budget cut that the basketball section of Barça will suffer. As this newspaper revealed a few days ago, the club has instructed the basketball section to reduce its expenses by around 20-25%, which have risen to 44 million in the current year.

The contract of the Spanish-Montenegrin, of about ten million euros for each of the next two years (it expired in June 2025), has a considerable weight in the budget, which is why its termination appears as one of the easiest ways to this reduction in spending.

Fully understandable and would support this decision even if we wouldn't need to free money for the FFP purposes of football team. Just can't spend so much money on a team that don't have results. Don't help much qualifying for Final Four three times in a row if you underperform there.

We've also only won one league title and four Copas since 2014. Surely not only the players's fault though. Lot of question marks about Saras (who could leave as well although most recent reports I've seen said he'll accept a pay cut to stay) and I'm not sure if Navarro is the right guy for the job either.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think Navarro's hands are bit tied due to our financial constraints, he couldn't go out there and pick great young players like Musa and he had to sign older, cheaper players to plug holes here and there. I like Saras as a person but I have growing doubts about his coaching ability, he shows a lot of passion and rage but we are still committing the same mistakes and having the same issues (how many time did we blow up in the second half of the game, especially in the fourth quarter? I lost count). I think we should start anew.

Next season will be interesting with all the cuts and players potentially leaving (Nnanji most likely leaving for the NBA), if we can do well in the ACB, give Madrid a run for its money and make it into the playoffs in EuroLeague I'd be more or less content.

Messi983

We'll see if/how La Bomba will rebuild the squad.

Agreed about Saras, looks like emotions sometimes get the worst out of him instead of keeping calm head. I think his frustration is then often also carried over to his players.

Plans with Mirotic...

Barça has made it clear to him that sportingly he continues to be of interest to the club, but given the million-dollar contract he signed at the time, he has no other option than to negotiate that termination or if an agreement is not reached, they should liquidate him completely.

If that were the case, it is a game that will not be computed as the salary mass of the squad, the objective set by the club, and will be considered as a different game such as a liquidation.

This means that Barça would no longer "officially" have to pay those 11 million of his contract that would no longer appear as a salary mass.

As said above I understand and support the decision to let him go but timing is not really ideal just before the finals starts. But then again if series go to 5th game it would end on June 25th and club wants to do something before end of June when season/fiscal year officially ends so they would risk to run out of time and they gave Mirotic/his agent chance to negotiate with other clubs before rescinding his contract.

Home of Barca Fans