Place of birth: Las Piedras
Height: 1,76 m
Citizenship: Uruguay
Position: DM
Foot: right
Current club: Liverpool FC Montevideo
Contract expires: May 31, 2026

mc_lovin

Wondered why there hasn't been a thread. We were linked with him recently and met his agent. Fell down the rabbit hole (due to nothing to do and being hung over^^) and think he's the answer to DM.

Looks pure quality.

khaled_a_d

He is a DM, from Uruguay, who captains their U20 team.

Culers were always going to be fans, as we are desperate for a successful story in this position.
OTOH, we are the only big club interested to get him, he is 20 and still playing in a very weak league, and he himself might reject us, since it seems he prefers to go to a smaller club with less pressure.
The story could very well have a bad ending for us.

mc_lovin

It's obviously a bit of wishful thinking, but looking at the DM options I would say fuck it, gamble. The likes of Amrabat, Zubimendi and co. don't inspire me.

I would totally understand Diaz going to a lesser team first, but at Barca there's a pretty unique opportunity right now. That should be enticing for him - hence the meeting.

Porque

I think he wants to play the Libertadores first before leaving. Not that he doesnt want to move to Barca, but he wants to stay in SA this year.

Anyways, he is a low risk player. Considering we paid more for Pocho and Araujo combined in Jan. And neither will make it.

I'm not sure this guy will either, but higher potential than those two for sure

Big one we missed was Andrey, said it before. Then to a lesser Perretoni.

But more players will emerge every year. Not too fussed if miss this one.

khaled_a_d

Anyways, he is a low risk player. Considering we paid more for Pocho and Araujo combined in Jan. And neither will make it.

Big one we missed was Andrey, said it before. Then to a lesser Perretoni.

Araujo joined for 4M and Pocho for 1.2M and some add-ons, Diaz buyout is 8M.
Diaz is a affordable gamble for sure, but the kind you need proper scouting and be sure there is good chance he can work well.

Andrey was huge miss btw, but tbf he isn't really a DM. He is a direct future replacement to Frenkie. Can see why the club hesitated, although still a mistake

khaled_a_d

What's your verdict. Should we sign him?

I would say we should give it a try, but it isn't a priority.

But, I would also use the words of the great Erik Spoelstra "that is the untrained eye that say something like that" because honestly he is a difficult case to evaluate.

While Uruguay generally uses the same playing style every game, they make changes every time, they started with 4231 and switched to 433 or 442 and they do this with different personal. The team remains the same despite such changes, which is a testimony of how mature they are, and more importantly how well-coached they are.
In 4231 Diaz is one of the two DM, in 3 man midfield they aren't playing with single pivot, but all 3 switches all the time.

Other than corners and fouls, Diaz isn't a standout, and neither any of his teammates in midfield. Yet there midfield protect the defense well and help in attack, so it is a strong midfield.

The question is, is it strong because of Diaz? or is he just another guy there?
on one hand, he is the leader of the team who is a consistent there, always. OTOH, as I said, he isn't a standout player. You don't watch the game and ask who is this kid.

I said it before, that I don't see him as a pivot in Barca, although he might be tactically sound enough to make the switch.

8M isn't a low price, but there is a chance that in 3 years we will look back and ask why didn't we buy this player?
Just hope our scouts will make the right decision with him.

Porque

Very good game. Will probably go down as the best midfielder of the tournament (not saying he's better than Andrey for example, just performance wise).

If he doesn't end up here, can see him end up in Portugal and getting sold for alot of money in a few seasons time.

Messi983

FyZhmM1acAAL7vU

Home of Barca Fans