European Super League

Windhook

Statement from Bayern saying something along the lines of its their duty to strengthen domestic leagues, not weakening them, hence against ESL.

ESL will probably weaken the domestic leagues, but this coming from Bayern is a bit funny, considering they have absolute monopoly on league titles in Bundesliga these days.

That said, rest of Bundesliga isn't interested as of yet either, so they do kinda speak for rest of the league here.
Clubs in Bundesliga are like the working unions of the US of the past. Let Bayern deal our interests. :lol:

Last edited:

Porque

@serghei,

What do you think of the format?

From the perspective of a Romanian side for example, do you think this system gives the clubs more opportunities or potential?

I think from the UEFA position, the CL setup does not consider the growth potential or vitality of heritage clubs of yesteryear like Red Star, Steaua, Spartak, etc.

lucas24

@serghei,

What do you think of the format?

From the perspective of a Romanian side for example, do you think this system gives the clubs more opportunities or potential?

I think from the UEFA position, the CL setup does not consider the growth potential or vitality of heritage clubs of yesteryear like Red Star, Steaua, Spartak, etc.
IMO for the "cinderellas", i.e. Steaua, Zagreb, Crvena Zvezda, Copenhagen from the sporting point of view SL is not advantageous. Nowadays when they get promoted to CL they play against best. When they get promoted to SL will start from level 3. The chances of these clubs to play against Barca, Real or Juve close to zero (will need further promotions SL-3 -> SL-2 and SL-2 -> SL-1).
I don't know what it will look from a financial point of view. Calculations that the profits from SL will be 2/3x higher than those from CL is an abstraction. Without English clubs, PSG, Bayern, etc. no chance of that. These days are so many matches, many of them without stakes. Only the giants matches attract large audiences. KO phase generates excitement, but this has the big disadvantage of a limited number of matches (more games = more money).

Andresito

Staff member
Clubs' stance on ESL

llhdka5f4u7c1.jpeg

Windhook

Gotta love the Netherlands. :lol: And Faroe Islands being against is the final nail in the coffin.

Last edited:

Porque

IMO for the "cinderellas", i.e. Steaua, Zagreb, Crvena Zvezda, Copenhagen from the sporting point of view SL is not advantageous. Nowadays when they get promoted to CL they play against best. When they get promoted to SL will start from level 3. The chances of these clubs to play against Barca, Real or Juve close to zero (will need further promotions SL-3 -> SL-2 and SL-2 -> SL-1).
I don't know what it will look from a financial point of view. Calculations that the profits from SL will be 2/3x higher than those from CL is an abstraction. Without English clubs, PSG, Bayern, etc. no chance of that. These days are so many matches, many of them without stakes. Only the giants matches attract large audiences. KO phase generates excitement, but this has the big disadvantage of a limited number of matches (more games = more money).

Thanks for the response. Unlike the the other c**t.

Good post.

Windhook

I've lived throughout my life with the current CL formula. And I loved it. The last time an Eastern European club qualified deep, the semi-finals was Dynamo Kyiv in 1998 with Shevchenko. Nowadays it's just bullshit having those Malmo, Crvena Zvezda clubs as stand ups, cannot advance from group stage, with big clubs playing 50% of their capabilities and locals celebrate a win on Liverpool like it's a Independence day. Meanwhile Liverpool having sorted their regime and programme perfectly and reaching the CL final that same year Crvena Zvezda kicked their asses.

The romance of football is over.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

This will definitely get off the ground now, so that 1 billion is coming, it's just a matter of time. When Barca / Real realise that the only way you can entice the customer is to make your product competitive, they will relinquish a large portion of the pie and we will be good to go

The key lies in making the huge clubs around Europe who are bigger than most EPL clubs in everything but bank balance ( Feyenoord, Ajax, PSV, Marseille, Benfica, Porto, Sporting, Roma Napoli, Celtic etc ) more competitive. You need to build them up.

You do that by introducing wage caps, transfer caps. By doing so, players then will go to the club they want to play for most, as all the wage/ transfer offers will be similar. Dutch players would be rejecting Real for Feyenoord. Italian players would reject Barca for Roma. Within a few years the likes of Ajax would be at a similar level to Barca/ Real.

The real key is if they could incorporate South American clubs. Imagine Barca Vs Boca in the Bombonera with Boca full of Argentinian internationals. Fucking awesome. You would only play one game a week because of distance to South America but even that is a plus. Less but more competitive games are more enticing than the over saturated dross we have now.

They could make this the best thing to ever happen to football. But I suspect greed will scupper that and they will create a product that is not as competitive as I just described.

lucas24

I've lived throughout my life with the current CL formula. And I loved it. The last time an Eastern European club qualified deep, the semi-finals was Dynamo Kyiv in 1998 with Shevchenko. Nowadays it's just bullshit having those Malmo, Crvena Zvezda clubs as stand ups, cannot advance from group stage, with big clubs playing 50% of their capabilities and locals celebrate a win on Liverpool like it's a Independence day. Meanwhile Liverpool having sorted their regime and programme perfectly and reaching the CL final that same year Crvena Zvezda kicked their asses.

The romance of football is over.
Great Dynamo example. Milan wouldn't bought Sheva for huge money (at the time) if he hadn't proved his class in matches against the best. What are last decade biggest surprises in the CL? Ajax, Monaco. Sorry, but these clubs are from leagues 5 & 6 in UEFA ranking. Much richer than Crvena Zvezda, Steaua or Dynamo. After successes their best players were bought out. Club started from level 3 would have to keep the squad and play 3 great seasons, unrealistic.

This will definitely get off the ground now, so that 1 billion is coming, it's just a matter of time. When Barca / Real realise that the only way you can entice the customer is to make your product competitive, they will relinquish a large portion of the pie and we will be good to go

The key lies in making the huge clubs around Europe who are bigger than most EPL clubs in everything but bank balance ( Feyenoord, Ajax, PSV, Marseille, Benfica, Porto, Sporting, Roma Napoli, Celtic etc ) more competitive. You need to build them up.

You do that by introducing wage caps, transfer caps. By doing so, players then will go to the club they want to play for most, as all the wage/ transfer offers will be similar. Dutch players would be rejecting Real for Feyenoord. Italian players would reject Barca for Roma. Within a few years the likes of Ajax would be at a similar level to Barca/ Real.

The real key is if they could incorporate South American clubs. Imagine Barca Vs Boca in the Bombonera with Boca full of Argentinian internationals. Fucking awesome. You would only play one game a week because of distance to South America but even that is a plus. Less but more competitive games are more enticing than the over saturated dross we have now.

They could make this the best thing to ever happen to football. But I suspect greed will scupper that and they will create a product that is not as competitive as I just described.

Yeah, Real and Barca are crushing the competition in terms of the number of fans in the world. However, Portuguese or Dutch clubs mean nothing in this respect. Without the English clubs SL makes no sense (look at the trend).
01.png

02.png

The problem is the management of LL. When in the league were Messi, Ronaldo, Pep, Mou how could they allow the Premier Legue to bounce back like that? In Italy when they saw Serie A falling behind, the government cut taxes for foreign players. What doing Tebas? He is too strict with FFP. Barca is a brand, having the biggest stars in the squad and winning trophies the financial returns would be incomparably higher.

Home of Barca Fans