Ernesto Valverde

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
gerardromero(RAC1): "I have doubts whether or not Valverde will still be the Barça manager at the end of the season. Valdés wants to take over, for sure."

Valdes?!?! :rofl1::rofl1: That would be a cherry on top of all stupid decisions we made after Pep left! What a horrible idea but since we are talking about Barto and this clown board I guess everything is possible. :facepalm:

Logically speaking, a goal keeper should have the highest chances to make it as a manager - as they get to observe the field more than anybody else; more so for a Barcelona keeper as we keep the ball all the time and the keeper's job tends to be minimal or so was the case when Valdes was still here anyway; However having that said, Valdes is thick as a brick man!

Sorin

Yeah true there are simularities like the dropping back and being more technique based but I think u underestimate how many kms Tadic runs defensively , he outruns everyone on a Ajax side that runs alot.

Ten Hag tactics are gegenpressing with the typical position switches that defines total football. I dont think Messi would shine in that , but the man is a competent trainer he didnt get the most out of FdJ at the start but figured it out so he prly would tweek his tactics to fit the best player in the world.

Griezmann on the other hand seems an auto fit for a TH system.

Well, it's not that I understimate the workrate of Tadic, it's that I value what Messi brings in other areas much more than Tadic' superior motor.

I agree that the style of constant pressing is not suited to Messi, but the thing is that it has never suited him, not even when we were coached by Guardiola and the team was supposed to win the ball back in under 7 seconds. Contrary to popular belief, Messi's workrate wasn't much better in the 2010-2012 period than now. He was making more runs with the ball at his feet, that is true, but other than that it was about the same give or take. And btw, he can still press in short bursts when is needed, just watch the second Liverpool match when him and Vidal were the only ones even pressing after the 60th minute. The rest assumed the doggy position and spread their cheeks open.

Anyway, this is my opinion, Messi would've worked great with you guys last year and imo you would win the whole thing with Messi doing his usual things. And I truly believe that Ten Haag would work wonders with Messi, Griezmann, FdJ, Pique(hope he maintains his level for at least one more year besides this) and Ter Stegen as the spine of his team.

He'd just need some good wingers, not necessarily world class, that know what they're doing and we'd be set.

Alas, we still have to endure the shitshow with EV for one more year and then the board could appoint another misfit, incompetent manager, so I won't hold my breath.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
gerardromero(RAC1): "I have doubts whether or not Valverde will still be the Barça manager at the end of the season. Valdés wants to take over, for sure."

Valdes?!?! :rofl1::rofl1: That would be a cherry on top of all stupid decisions we made after Pep left! What a horrible idea but since we are talking about Barto and this clown board I guess everything is possible. :facepalm:

Raketa, I hope you realize that out of our former players, Valdes is by far the most prepared as a manager. He's the manager of our Juvenil A team who are playing very well already.

He has even developed his own football methodology which he showed to the Catalan Football Federation, which is impressive enough.

The reason we haven't heard about him is because he's been in the background. He coached a smaller team in Madrid first before he took over Juvenil A this season.

He also has the personality to succeed, and has learned from his personal experience how important it is to coach up younger players as he's talked about a lot.

That said, I don't think he should take over mid-season. I want to see him at least two seasons at Juvenil A as he can be really good for our players there, not just coaching them up in football, but also how they should prepare themselves off the field. A guy that made a lot of wrong decisions financially and alluded to being depressed. What can you do to not fall into the same trap of investing your money into shady projects? How do you value the simple things even when you got a lot of money to do whatever you want, and how not to surround yourself with the wrong people.

I won't be surprised if Valdes becomes our manager before Xavi, or alongside Xavi as his assistant. It's in the future though. For now I think he can be really good for our academy.

Raketa10

Raketa, I hope you realize that out of our former players, Valdes is by far the most prepared as a manager. He's the manager of our Juvenil A team who are playing very well already.

He has even developed his own football methodology which he showed to the Catalan Football Federation, which is impressive enough.

The reason we haven't heard about him is because he's been in the background. He coached a smaller team in Madrid first before he took over Juvenil A this season.

He also has the personality to succeed, and has learned from his personal experience how important it is to coach up younger players as he's talked about a lot.

That said, I don't think he should take over mid-season. I want to see him at least two seasons at Juvenil A as he can be really good for our players there, not just coaching them up in football, but also how they should prepare themselves off the field. A guy that made a lot of wrong decisions financially and alluded to being depressed. What can you do to not fall into the same trap of investing your money into shady projects? How do you value the simple things even when you got a lot of money to do whatever you want, and how not to surround yourself with the wrong people.

I won't be surprised if Valdes becomes our manager before Xavi, or alongside Xavi as his assistant. It's in the future though. For now I think he can be really good for our academy.

Beeing the most prepared of all former players doesn't mean he is prepared at all at the moment. He should prove himself first. Success of Pep, who came directly from Barca B is an exception so we should't rely on that practice as a rule. Am I against Valdes training our Juvenil A team? Of course not! But giving him first team after Valverde gets fired would be another moronic decision from our board. We need a proven manager first and after Xavi and Valdes gain some experience in 2-3 years time they can take over but until than I am sick of experiments with tier 4 managers.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Beeing the most prepared of all former players doesn't mean he is prepared at all at the moment. He should prove himself first. Success of Pep, who came directly from Barca B is an exception so we should't rely on that practice as a rule. Am I against Valdes training our Juvenil A team? Of course not! But giving him first team after Valverde gets fired would be another moronic decision from our board. We need a proven manager first and after Xavi and Valdes gain some experience in 2-3 years time they can take over but until than I am sick of experiments with tier 4 managers.

And I agree with you as I said there.

I want someone like Erik ten Hag. But if they were to choose someone like Eusebio or Rubi or even Setien, I would rather fast-track Valdes or Xavi instead.

Raketa10

And I agree with you as I said there.

I want someone like Erik ten Hag. But if they were to choose someone like Eusebio or Rubi or even Setien, I would rather fast-track Valdes or Xavi instead.

I agree but fast-tracking could easily ruin them. Every manager needs time until he gains enough experience to take over a big club like Barca. We all have high hopes for Xavi (or Valdes) but imagine if he takes over now with many of his former teammates still here and he fails to establish himself as a authority. He would basically be condemned to failure. So I prefer not to risk him (them) until we get rid of all those guys, not to mention both of them will be much better managers in 2 or 3y time. In that time they will be able to start from the scratch and form a new Barca team according to their vision and wishes.

Until then I would prefer Ten Hag or even Allegri or some other top tier manager despite the fact that their style could be much different than our old stlye used to be. Since we don't have a style at all at the moment it would be better to have at least someone who has clear ideas or vision regardless of the fact that his vision is different from something we are used to. The worst thing is to hold on to Valverde. He is a guy who lost 3 goals advantage two times in a row in CL, a guy who can't beat anyone without Messi, a guy who defends a 1-0 lead agains Osasuna or Getafe at Camp Nou, a guy who hasn't improved any single player during 2 years here as a manager. At the moment we basically don't have a manager, we simply have Messi and that's it.

Last edited:

serghei

Allegri, Conte, Mourinho, Simeone would be terrible fits, even if they are great managers. Their football is pretty much the opposite of what we want. Yes they would improve our performances in the big games no doubt, but they will not make us play entertaining football.

malvolio

Imagine Valdes shouting at Neymar and/or Dembele :lol:

I'm all up for having a crazy bastard on the bench, even more so when that crazy bastard is one of our own.

BBZ8800

Logically speaking, a goal keeper should have the highest chances to make it as a manager - as they get to observe the field more than anybody else; more so for a Barcelona keeper as we keep the ball all the time and the keeper's job tends to be minimal or so was the case when Valdes was still here anyway; However having that said, Valdes is thick as a brick man!

That makes zero sense.
Who understands movement, pressure, press resistance, forward passes, when is the moment to shoot?
1) a guy who has never done that and who is watching it from a goal-line (Valdes)
2) or someone like Busi, Xavi, Pep, Rijkaard, Koeman who is actually a key player in team's buildup and who was doing that for 15-20 years on all levels?

Further, in the last 50-60 years of modern football, there was only 1 successful coach who was a former GK: Dino Zoff from Italy.
Someone will probably reply: well, there are tons of coaches who were never footballers.
Fine, I would personally rather have a guy who was never a footballer than a goalkeeper.

Also, about comments about Valdes, depression and financial problems.
That is NOT a reason to hire him.
A guy is a ticking bomb.

About Valdes, I would like to see him at Barca B first.
And then to see how will he cope with a pressure, bad results, a few star players in B team etc.
And whether his team will be able to play both beautiful and have good results (B team).

serghei

If we take a risk like that with a former player, recently retired with very low experience at being a manager it has to be Xavi. Man was the midfield brain of the greatest side ever.

Odds of becoming a great manager are in his favor.

cro-man

If we take a risk like that with a former player, recently retired with very low experience at being a manager it has to be Xavi. Man was the midfield brain of the greatest side ever.

Odds of becoming a great manager are in his favor.

Isnt xavi a big supporter of font? That would mean he wont be a manager before the next elections and that only if barto isnt in charge anymore.

serghei

Isnt xavi a big supporter of font? That would mean he wont be a manager before the next elections and that only if barto isnt in charge anymore.

Only think I don't like about Xavi is his Qatar connection. Should've came in Europe and started from there. Football in Qatar is crap.

Home of Barca Fans