Ernesto Valverde - V1

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Pep did...

I mean, I think that saying something more drastic would at least get players on their toes knowing that they could be out, or give some sense of authority... I know he's a calm guy, but I feel he's overwhelmed and asking for permission on things that he shouldn't... Obviously, it's still too early to tell and hopefully it's just the bitterness of last season talking, he's been coach for 2 days, hahaha...

I think he will be looking for changes, as he said himself, Barca got to evolve.

The problem was the journalists asking about Iniesta's role. Iniesta is a Barca Legend and current captain, one of the greatest not only for Barca, but of all-time. He won't be making comments about him, and he was not asked about the other players, except Roberto and if he saw him as a RB to which he simply replied that he's a versatile player.

I was quite impressed by his press conference. He looked confident, not overwhelmed, and said that the team and club need to continuously improve to reach their goals.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I think he will be looking for changes, as he said himself, Barca got to evolve.

The problem was the journalists asking about Iniesta's role. Iniesta is a Barca Legend and current captain, one of the greatest not only for Barca, but of all-time. He won't be making comments about him, and he was not asked about the other players, except Roberto and if he saw him as a RB to which he simply replied that he's a versatile player.

I was quite impressed by his press conference. He looked confident, not overwhelmed, and said that the team and club need to continuously improve to reach their goals.

I guess you are right... I think I'm having Lucho withdrawals, hahaha...

DonAK

The thing scares me about Velverde is his mellow type of character. We were successful under 2 dictator type of coaches (Pep and Lucho) and unsuccessful under 2 mellow type(Tito and Tata) . It's very possible that he has strong character that is not so obvious, but if he's weak and cannot deal with likes of Pique and Neymar we are doomed for sure. Leadership as important as tactical skills. Anyways we should be patient with him and bury our pitchforks until at least February.:lucho:

On the contrary, from what I've read from Athletic fans;

While he's always calm and comes accross and very polite and has a great relationship with his players, he's also a guy who has clear plans, and clear instructions. He doesn't become best friends with players and doesn't take bullshit.

Seems like he's very smart in how he deals with his players, although it will obviously be different here with some of the best in the World, including the best.

I liked this quote though:

"To achieve things you have to have a certain personality, these attitudes are necessary at the top level. People talk about multimillionaire players, but I haven't met many who were born that way. They have had to earn it.
" On dealing with any egos in Barcelona's star-studded dressing room.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Which Players will you like to see at Camp Nou next season ? Thiago Alcantara, Marco Verratti for me are key, either one will be nice along with a RB.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Do you really think Thiago or Verratti are realistic targets?

vlad

Looking forward to next season with him in charge, barca will press opponents systematically once again!

Sorin

1594769_FC_Barcelona.jpg

Valverde could use something like this to have a 3 man midfield with Messi a little more central. This way you could have Messi in his new fav position and somewhat hide his lack of legwork.

Though there are some issues.

1. How good would Iniesta be in that role since he does need to cover some decent acres of the field, both in attack and in defence? You could mitigate his work in defence by being able to use the press again and retrieve balls high up the pitch. Messi needs to do some running for that to happen.

2. The fullbacks are the most important pieces in this formation imo since they need to control large parts of the field and stretch the pitch. Otherwise we don't have any width whatsoever and teams will cram in the middle again. They need both intelligence and stamina for that. Alba must elevate his game to pre Enrique era to be any useful and the RB should be prime Alves able to understand and execute the triangles with Messi/Iniesta/Busquets and the advanced press. And i don't really know who that RB is. Maybe Semedo from what's i've seen.

Something like Spain's NT, although, by having Messi/Neymar/Suarez there, you have way more creativity and goals between the 3 of them than Spain.

This isn't perfect by any means since there is no Xavi in there to boss absolutely anyone. That's why having 2 guys in front of the defence will be able to protect the back 4 in case we can't control the game to the same degree.

Of course, this is all w/o any players we might buy this summer but i don't know what this board is capable of so yeah.

Just throwing some ideas out there. Hopefully Valverde gets all the players he wants and we can see the full extent of his ideas. Good luck and let's win some damn silverware.

Last edited:

Yashar1899

Quality dude! we don't have enough quality! Roberto isn't enough for midfield! vidal sn't enoug fo RB! Iniesta can't be great starter next year in top matches and etc.

Sorin

I already said that i've thrown those ideas out there with the players we have now and Messi's new favorite position in mind. Never said we don't need to buy more quality players. Any other acquisition and it could change everything.

I just don't like to assume the players we'll buy since it's up in the air with this board and a new manager like Valverde.

DonAK

He'll be under immense pressure now and I think he can deliver, but for that he need the support of the board to sign some proper World Class players instead of more trash, and I simply don't trust them to deliver on that.

xXKonan

Going by his comments he probably knows what we need. Bad news is he's inherited a squad that has a lot of players that don't fit his philosophy and he has to spend a lot of time and money to get it right.

:valverde2:

Home of Barca Fans