Ernesto Valverde - V1

behindbrowneyes

They are all pretty much basic apart from denis to an extent.

Roberto is good going forward? Obviously he is. Thats why he should be played in midfield where his sole reponsibility is to attack which is his strength. Semedo may be a bit less of an attacker but he is much better than roberto defensively. Its a no brainer semedo should start as RB.

We cried the whole of last season to sign a 'dedicated' RB and when we have one now he isn't starting. lol

Semedo is an attacker too. Based on his games here he doesn't look like it, but he is. He seems to be bound back in order to give Alba the freedom to make those runs to the sideline because we are lacking a LW.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
They are all pretty much basic apart from denis to an extent.

Roberto is good going forward? Obviously he is. Thats why he should be played in midfield where his sole reponsibility is to attack which is his strength. Semedo may be a bit less of an attacker but he is much better than roberto defensively. Its a no brainer semedo should start as RB.

We cried the whole of last season to sign a 'dedicated' RB and when we have one now he isn't starting. lol

And that's what our midfielders should do - attack? How about passing, build-up play, patients and defensive contribution? IMO Roberto lacks these skills and we already have a midfielder who attacks - it's Paulinho and I would argue that he is even more dangerous with his runs than Roberto is and defensively better than him. So there is no reason to star Roberto over Paulinho if dangerous runs in the box is all that is needed.

Concering Semedo, EV didn't hesitate to play him against Atletico or Juve, so I am sure he'll play a lot in November and December because we'll have plenty of tough matches then.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Lol. People whining about Valverde, midfielders who are not playing like short-technical Barca's DNA and similar.

Yet, we lost Neymar, we have a horrible Suarez, Dembele is injured.
We have Messi and 10 random guys on the field and yet, we have 9-1-0 score.

Valverde is doing miracles in terms of results.
I am willing to bet anything, if Valverde would have played Denis, Sergi Roberto and other fan favorites in midfield, we would have been at 6-4-0 or 7-3-0 now.

People would want both fan favorites, Barca's DNA midfielders and a 9-1-0 score.

Well, when was the last time when we had a 9-1-0 score except in Xavi-Iniesta era?
More or less NEVER.

I have no problem even if Valverde fields 10 copies of Andre Gomes, as long as we are winning.
Plus, we are still playing somewhat ok-ish.

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
Lol. People whining about Valverde, midfielders who are not playing like short-technical Barca's DNA and similar.

I am willing to bet anything, if Valverde would have played Denis, Sergi Roberto and other fan favorites in midfield, we would have been at 6-4-0 or 7-3-0 now.

People would want both fan favorites, Barca's DNA midfielders and a 9-1-0 score.

Well, when was the last time when we had a 9-1-0 score except in Xavi-Iniesta era?
More or less NEVER.

I have no problem even if Valverde fields 10 copies of Andre Gomes, as long as we are winning.

That is the problem, imo. Barcelona has never associated itself with "as long as we are winning". Club's legacy stands with winning but winning without compromising our style of play. And this is the sole mentality which is driving us away from our legacy and basic foundations. We have become too accommodating under the opportunistic business minded people who wants to keep the business fluent. Principles can take a back seat as long as fund is being poured in and we win in whatsoever manner. I am not saying this is wrong, maybe this is perfect for 99% football clubs around the world. But not for Barcelona, never.

I think the issue in hand is not about whether we are playing too basic or not. The problem is how long can we survive by playing like this ? No one, who has watched little bit of football, can deny that Barcelona currently lacks depth and Valverde is playing predictable game.

- Depends too much on pace from wingback
-Right wing attacking scenarios have been too many. Roberto is usually good at this. Starts running very deep and then cuts in the middle and passes to Leo. Coaches have started to notice thus there is more marking at right and Alba is left alone since everyone knows he is pretty useless.
- There is a big hole between Busi in the midfield and Messi at final third position. Absolutely, no activity in midfield.
-In the Atheletic game, especially in second half, if you notice carefully, it was a completely open game with box to box style of play. There was no stability in midfield, Athletic players wrecked us havoc and fluidly moved inside our final third without facing any hurdle.

We need to understand few facts, every year we feel too optimistic around this time only to get wrecked havoc during March-April.

-Messi can not play every game. If he gets injured or goes off-form, who will carry our one dimensional attack?
-Iniesta is injured, Rakitic is under-performing, Suarez is off for ages, 1 month till Dembele comes back, Pique is not good, Alba does not look good - How will you survive rest of the season with this lack of depth and unstable way of playing?

4-4-3 has been our bread and butter and saved us on many occasions not only because the tactic works well with us but also majority of players have grown up playing in that style, including the La Masia players.

I am not suggesting, EV is bad. I am not even saying when Barcelona faces big teams, they will be wrecked inside out. But, at this stage, we expect more depth, versatility and control in our game. Results are good But results without quality is boring.(Cruyff, btw) AND Barcelona are boring. Squeezing out 3 points with extreme conservatism is extremely suicidal. It is bound to hurt us in long run.

And about the numbers being thrown by Valverve sympathizers - Let us not forget Tata Martino. Press F to pay respect.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

That is the problem, imo. Barcelona has never associated itself with "as long as we are winning". Club's legacy stands with winning but winning without compromising our style of play. And this is the sole mentality which is driving us away from our legacy and basic foundations. We have become too accommodating under the opportunistic business minded people who wants to keep the business fluent. Principles can take a back seat as long as fund is being poured in and we win in whatsoever manner. I am not saying this is wrong, maybe this is perfect for 99% football clubs around the world. But not for Barcelona, never.

I think the issue in hand is not about whether we are playing too basic or not. The problem is how long can we survive by playing like this ? No one, who has watched little bit of football, can deny that Barcelona currently lacks depth and Valverde is playing predictable game.

-Right wing attacking scenarios have been too many. Roberto is usually good at this. Starts running very deep and then cuts in the middle and passes to Leo. Coaches have started to notice thus there is more marking at right and Alba is left alone since everyone knows he is pretty useless.
- There is a big hole between Busi in the midfield and Messi at final third position. Absolutely, no activity in midfield.
-In the Atheletic game, especially in second half, if you notice carefully, it was a completely open game with box to box style of play. There was no stability in midfield, Athletic players wrecked us havoc and fluidly moved inside our final third without facing any hurdle.

We need to understand few facts, every year we feel too optimistic around this time only to get wrecked havoc during March-April.

-Messi can not play every game. If he gets injured or goes off-form, who will carry our one dimensional attack?
-Iniesta is injured, Rakitic is under-performing, Suarez is off for ages, 1 month till Dembele comes back, Pique is not good, Alba does not look good - How will you survive rest of the season with this lack of depth and unstable way of playing?

4-4-3 has been our bread and butter and saved us on many occasions not only because the tactic works well with us but also majority of players have grown up playing in that style, including the La Masia players.

I am not suggesting, EV is bad. I am not even saying when Barcelona faces big teams, they will be wrecked inside out. But, at this stage, we expect more depth, versatility and control in our game. Results are good But results without quality is boring.(Cruyff, btw) AND Barcelona are boring. Squeezing out 3 points with extreme conservatism is extremely suicidal. It is bound to hurt us in long run.

And about the numbers being thrown by Valverve sympathizers - Let us not forget Tata Martino. Press F to pay respect.

Thank you for bringing up the bolded. It's a fact many have missed because we're winning games... This 4-4-2 system isolates Busquets to a large extent and with that isolation we lose control of the midfield and the ball. With no wings we also have nobody running at the defences but we're more secure defensively.

Whichever way you look at it there is no balance... Play the bread and butter 4-3-3 and there is balance in midfiled but none in attack because Suarez must play and as such we have no LW. Play 4-4-2 and we have balance upfront but none in midfield because Paulinho is the only midfielder supporting Busquets in the centre.

These are Valverde manufactured problems easily avoided by benching just 2 under-performing players.

BBZ8800

That is the problem, imo. Barcelona has never associated itself with "as long as we are winning". Club's legacy stands with winning but winning without compromising our style of play. And this is the sole mentality which is driving us away from our legacy and basic foundations. We have become too accommodating under the opportunistic business minded people who wants to keep the business fluent. Principles can take a back seat as long as fund is being poured in and we win in whatsoever manner. I am not saying this is wrong, maybe this is perfect for 99% football clubs around the worls.

For the beginning, when you say that playing nice is our legacy, are you talking about our whole history or about Pep's era?

Because, how I remember Barca's teams from early 90's till today:
Barca with R9=a one man show
Van Gaal's Barca=extremely results oriented at times. With 1000s of crosses and long balls, a total opposite to Xavi-Iniesta keeping the possession style.
Early 2000s Barca=Barca without any ideas how to play. Changing formations, styles, coaches and players all the time. Zero titles, horrible gamestyle.
A total mess in all areas for years.
Rijkaard's Barca=at some moments Joga Bonita, in other times extremely pragmatic and results orientated with a Rb Oleguer and midfield Edmilson-Motta/Van Bommel-Deco/Xavi.
In a current era, an analogy would have been: Rb Mascherano, Cdm Rakitic, Cms Gomes/Paulinho and Iniesta.

Basically, the only era ever when we played beautiful and successfull for long periods was 2009-2013.

I have a feeling sometimes that people think that we have played that way since 1899.
Also, even this season, in a Cl, we still played like a good old beautidul Barca (vs Juve).
So, even when we play ugly for Barca's standards, we still play the most beautiful football in Europe.

Also, Ev is here only for 3-4 Months.
He plays without Dembele (and Coutinho?).

I will add that I don't rate Denis at all and Roberto too highly (as a cm starter), so I don't have any problems with a lineup.
Again, Ev is here only for 4 Months and Dembele played only 100-200 minutes.
We paid 145m for him.
Again, we have 9-1-0 with a new coach, without Neymar, Dembele (and Coutinho).

Last edited:

Neymessi

More or less NEVER.

"As long as we are winning".

Thats debatable. But irrelevant here nonetheless.

This isn't his technique like mourinhio that we are playing mediocre but winning. The thing is that we are playing mediocre and probably lucky to be winning.

You make it out to be as its all a part of his plan but its not. Probably not at least.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!

tbf, that thought process was more associated with Real Madrid than us wth them sacking league winners not once but twice cause of the apparent lack-of-beautful football!

JamDav1982

I swear some people forget the shit Tito took, Tata took or likes of Xavi took when claimed Barca were better team away to Bayern as had more of the ball.

This idea that the way the team plays is most important thing goes out the window quickly when try to play that way and lose.

Barca are playing well and it is not a strict 4-4-2 anyway other than when defending.

Ursegor

World Champion
We are playing shithouse football but it's what you get with the likes of Gomes, Rakitic, Roberto and Paulinho making the play. Which one of them is even a top 10 player in his position?

Ursegor

World Champion
You are, as usual, arguing just for the sake of arguing against the majority opinion and for being different. If majority of people here were ecstatic with our results you would argue the opposite now and highlight our shithouse play.

A team that concedes more shots at the back than it manages upfront in half its games, is something like 30th in chance creation across Europe and where "Own Goal" is the second best top scorer, and all that while playing against the plebs of the league, except Atletico, is in no shape or form playing "well". And if the coach says he doesn't change things because he doesn't see things clearly the moment his team visibly struggles on the pitch and the GK becomes Man of the Match, it makes it even worse.

JamDav1982

You are, as usual, arguing just for the sake of arguing against the majority opinion and for being different. If majority of people here were ecstatic with our results you would argue the opposite now and highlight our shithouse play.

A team that concedes more shots at the back than it manages upfront in half its games, is something like 30th in chance creation across Europe and where "Own Goal" is the second best top scorer, and all that while playing against the plebs of the league, except Atletico, is in no shape or form playing "well". And if the coach says he doesn't change things because he doesn't see things clearly the moment his team visibly struggles on the pitch and the GK becomes Man of the Match, it makes it even worse.

You as usual are going along with the crowd.

Havent conceded more shots at the back in half the games and own goals dont come from thin air they come from pressure at back of opposition and some luck.

Home of Barca Fans