Ernesto Valverde - V1

M

MessiCam

There wasnt a complete second half capitulation and I dont expect to create more chances in every game and those include pot shots from distince which are fairly common V Barca.

When the team has the most possession, creates the second most chances and scores most goals in league it is not a defensive approach.
Juventus - 7 shots inside the box, Getafe - 5, Eibar - 9, Sporting - 2, Malaga - 8, Bilbao - 10. These are just shots inside the box, never mind other chances that have been created. Barça have the possession yes but it doesn’t automatically make them the better team. With regards to goals, thank Messi for that because he has been clinical and chances created comparison only works when comparing head to head. A team can create chances against Barça and not against another team so overall means very little in this context.

And yes, it was complete capitulation. They had no answer for Bilbao’s pressing and movement. They were shell shocked. It was an abysmal 2nd half performance.

JamDav1982

Juventus - 7 shots inside the box, Getafe - 5, Eibar - 9, Sporting - 2, Malaga - 8, Bilbao - 10. These are just shots inside the box, never mind other chances that have been created. Barça have the possession yes but it doesn’t automatically make them the better team. With regards to goals, thank Messi for that because he has been clinical and chances created comparison only works when comparing head to head. A team can create chances against Barça and not against another team so overall means very little in this context.

And yes, it was complete capitulation. They had no answer for Bilbao’s pressing and movement. They were shell shocked. It was an abysmal 2nd half performance.

Do you think Barcelona were the better team v Juve?

Quick look at Juve game stats and they were taking more shots from distance.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
The problem is that I feel our good results are a combination of Messi, some incredible individual defensive performances and a good dose of luck. I'm not getting the feeling we're playing well enough to warrant these positive stats. It's a feeling of being on borrowed time, floating on a pillow of different factors that can't possibly last, and when it crashes it could crash hard.

Hope I'm wrong.

I think people got paranoid after last season defeats against Juve and PSG and Supercup defeats against RM. And remember when Pique said," I think they are really stronger than us", I admit even I thought, yeah, this is the end of an era. And now they are struggling and we are on top, it's hard to predict how things will turn up eventually.

M

MessiCam

Do you think Barcelona were the better team v Juve?

Quick look at Juve game stats and they were taking more shots from distance.
Yes Barça were the better team against Juventus but only because Messi buried his chances and Dybala and Co didn’t. It was by no means a cake walk. I will say that the use of the ball that game and the positional play was by far the best we’ve had this season which should be concerning on its own.

JamDav1982

Yes Barça were the better team against Juventus but only because Messi buried his chances and Dybala and Co didn’t. It was by no means a cake walk. I will say that the use of the ball that game and the positional play was by far the best we’ve had this season which should be concerning on its own.

No one saying it was a cake walk but I agree Barca were the better side and the team are set up to get Messi in those areas so all ties in.

Do you think Real were better going forward v Girona than Barca were? I dont. I thought Barca had a plan, it worked and got at them despite couple ogs coming from it. Real just launched ball forward and hoped Ronaldo would score.

Despite all that Real probably beat them for chances created in that game.

M

MessiCam

No one saying it was a cake walk but I agree Barca were the better side and the team are set up to get Messi in those areas so all ties in.

Do you think Real were better going forward v Girona than Barca were? I dont. I thought Barca had a plan, it worked and got at them despite couple ogs coming from it. Real just launched ball forward and hoped Ronaldo would score.

Despite all that Real probably beat them for chances created in that game.
Real are not the discussion here but they were very poor and have been on a few occasions this year. Chances created were 8 - 11 in favour of Madrid but Girona fashioned 2 big chances and the hit woodwork twice as opposed to zero from Madrid.

Edit, Against Juventus, Messi operated as a False 9 in a 4-3-3 and we had Dembélé as RW. We looked good. We’ve actually regressed since then with the 4-4-2. It doesn’t suit us at all and it exposes Busquets.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Real are not the discussion here but they were very poor and have been on a few occasions this year. Chances created were 8 - 11 in favour of Madrid but Girona fashioned 2 big chances and the hit woodwork twice as opposed to zero from Madrid.

Yeah so Barca were better v Girona despite creating less chances and Barca were the better team against Girona. That game was a matter of time before Barca killed them off and a flurry of chances at 2-0/3-0 Barca doesnt make much odds.

JamDav1982

Edit, Against Juventus, Messi operated as a False 9 in a 4-3-3 and we had Dembélé as RW. We looked good. We’ve actually regressed since then with the 4-4-2. It doesn’t suit us at all and it exposes Busquets.

Doesnt expose Busquets he has been playing well and his range of passing to control game at times has been better than ever.

The formation v Juve is the one you seem to like but then point to all the chances Juve created as if Barca were fairy poor but for Messi.

M

MessiCam

Yeah so Barca were better v Girona despite creating less chances and Barca were the better team against Girona. That game was a matter of time before Barca killed them off and a flurry of chances at 2-0/3-0 Barca doesnt make much odds.

Barça went in defence mode after the 2nd goal. It’s all too defensive for me. They even gave up some possession... I don’t like it.

JamDav1982

Barça went in defence mode after the 2nd goal. It’s all too defensive for me. They even gave up some possession... I don’t like it.

Think it was a more a case of Girona piling men forward at 2-0 and Barca being happier to wait and pick them off. Rather have that flexibility because against top teams like City ans PSG Barca may have to win in diffferent ways if they get good spells on the ball.

Barca are not playing defensive football, the flexibilty to play om break if needed is a good thing.

M

MessiCam

Doesnt expose Busquets he has been playing well and his range of passing to control game at times has been better than ever.

The formation v Juve is the one you seem to like but then point to all the chances Juve created as if Barca were fairy poor but for Messi.
Valverde can play 4-2-3-1 for all I care as long as we impose ourselves on the opposition. It hasn’t happened with the 4-4-2... The reason I like the 4-3-3 and 3-3-1-3 system is because it so intertwined with the way we play.

And Busquets has been very exposed in the 4-4-2. Take last nights game for example. Gomes and Rakitic were wide with only Paulinho helping in the centre. There is no compactness to play our passing game. It’s just too stretched and Busquets suffered a lot. It’s only compact in terms of 2 banks of 4 in defence.

Have a look at our results this season and you’ll see our best performances by miles came when playing the 4-3-3 system with attacking wings but it has been abandoned for this 4-4-2 trash which in large part is being used to satisfy Suárez I believe. Messi’s output has waned too.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

Think it was a more a case of Girona piling men forward at 2-0 and Barca being happier to wait and pick them off. Rather have that flexibility because against top teams like City ans PSG Barca may have to win in diffferent ways if they get good spells on the ball.

Barca are not playing defensive football, the flexibilty to play om break if needed is a good thing.
But they gave up control of the ball. That’s sitting back not waiting to pick them off.

Nothanks

Things change DRASTICALLY when the new year comes around
for a team that lost their most expensive signing for 4 months we are not doing as bad as I thought we would... having a standing of 9-1-0 is nice despite our short comings

I think right now the team is in a transition, I would like to assume Valverde has a clear plan just not the right people to execute it...

Imagine if we got Coutinho and Dembele was fit... the 4-4-1-1 doesn't sound so crazy anymore with Coutinho and Dembele on the wings, Suarez upfront with messi behind him

it is new to barca but idk i prefer having this uncertainty than Lucho just playing 4-3-3 to save his job and try to hoof it upfiield

Neymessi

They are not all basic and he is picking teams that are defending well, dominating the ball and putting Messi in position to succeed.

From where people predicted would be with this squad he has done a food job so far.

Folk moan about Semedo not playing more but Roberto has been far better than him going forward and played there on merit really.

They are all pretty much basic apart from denis to an extent.

Roberto is good going forward? Obviously he is. Thats why he should be played in midfield where his sole reponsibility is to attack which is his strength. Semedo may be a bit less of an attacker but he is much better than roberto defensively. Its a no brainer semedo should start as RB.

We cried the whole of last season to sign a 'dedicated' RB and when we have one now he isn't starting. lol

Home of Barca Fans