Ernesto Valverde - V1

El Guaje

My point is, as usual, things are not as simple as they seem to be.

I for one do not believe that coaches have as much influence as the footballing world and most ignorant fans try to believe. Usually, it's quite hard to find any coach effect with the most sophisticated scientific methods. Again, I still believe they have an effect, but their influence is overrated because people are using anecdotal evidence instead of empirically sound arguments.

I am trying to think about a way we could have played against Liverpool with this squad and I have no answer to that question. I am not sure if things (score wise) would have looked differently if we played Arthur instead of Vidal in both games for example, i.e., controlling the game. But if somebody has the tactical answer to that, I am open to hear ideas. This does not mean that I defend Valverde. I think it's a huge disappointment that we gave away 2 clear leads consecutively.

Everything starts and ends with the fucking coach. Who picks the players? The coach. Who picks the subs? The coach. Who sets up the tactics and gameplan? The coach. Whos job is it to drill confidence, motivation and fighting spirit into his players heads? The coach.

Devils

Maybe just maybe this was a good thing ..

We needed massive changes and I presume that boardroom talks are already ongoing.
If they don’t sack Valverde or give him the chance to resign in the next few days I fear for our future.

God only knows what kind of emotions FDJ is experiencing hours before one of his most important games .. poor guy

Dawg, we are finished. Its a massive failure, not a good thing.

Its going to be YEARS before we are taken seriously in Europe again. And probably wont conpete seriously again until this old guard is completely phased out.

mc_lovin

We should make a serious analysis here. For a club like Barcelona, with our ambitions and resources, domestic success is great but insufficient in the end.

Nah, normally La liga+Copa is a great season. Cant ask for more, really. But fucking up like we did vs Liverpool is unacceptable. Couldnt give a fuck about our achievements this season anymore.

Messigician

the Argentine has grown frustrated with Ernesto Valverde at the helm and has asked Barcelona to sack him following the season,*as per Diario GOL.

wisconsincule

Just a fucking disaster. Offensive is your best defense in knockout matches like this. We’ve seen time and time again teams try to defend a lead and lose. Didn’t even try to go for a goal. Pathetic.

Don Andrésº8

I hope this silence means they are shortlisting new manager.

I also hope they are not searching for DNA in some loosers mentioned here...if the new guy has Barca DNA great, but I want competant, brave and proven coach as a must, everything else comes second.

Yes they can put that DNA im their ass we need a great coach and not some loser who has the "DNA'

Don Andrésº8

And why the fuk this loser transformed our team in an Argentina B, every play needs to pass tru Messi, every shot, every responsability, Malcom had the opportunity to shoot the ball with his right foot in the last minutes but was instead looking for Messi. Losers menstality

xxxxxx

Just a fucking disaster. Offensive is your best defense in knockout matches like this. We’ve seen time and time again teams try to defend a lead and lose. Didn’t even try to go for a goal. Pathetic.

Even if we didn't need to go offensive, he could have at least had a 4 man midfield.... or a 5 man midfield with Messi as the attacking midfielder. It would have gave us more control in the midfield. Our team isn't good enough to play a 433 and control the midfield with that formation. Now if you start someone like Arthur, you're going to get more composure in the midfield.

We seen in the first leg Liverpool were getting a lot of joy from their counter-attacks. Valverde literally didn't even change anything until we were 3-0 down. We could see in the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half it wasn't working. Like he could have brought on Semedo and Arthur at 50 minutes to give us more control. I guarantee if he makes those changes we don't concede 3 more. Mane was getting no joy against Semedo. Heck, Arthur looked way better and more composed on the ball than Rakitic ever did.

raskolnikov

The writing been on the wall for a long time though. Just that messi hides it a lot.
Valverde needs to go asap.

jairzinho

i know Bielsa isn't a popular name around here but i can't think of a more tactically and technically apt manager to have at this point.

Most might see it a gamble not worth taking but the guy has character and cojones. nevermind he is loco at times.

Would do a better job with the budget we have to work with.

But most of the players won't like him because he is not a passive guy.

Other than him my other options would be Ten Haag, or Poch who would be unlikely.

FCBfan22

Need that Communicado Ofical ASAP.

The thing is that our cunts of a board are probably too scared to sack him before Copa final.

Zidane82

Barça have finished 0-10 in their latest CL away defeats that knocked them out. 0-3 Juve, 0-3 Roma and 0-4 Liverpool !!

Home of Barca Fans