Ernesto Valverde - V1

Givenchy

he needs to go. not on the back of just this game but today his luck finally ran out.

Coutinho could of pulled a Messi and bailed us out, preserving the unbeaten run but its really not as impressive as it may sound. so many games this season we've been 2nd best only for luck or pure individualism to save us. I have to ask why the fuck he OK'd Yerry joining when its clear he doesn't rate him. why was Messi given the day off yet played in between the 2 Roma legs in a meaningless Liga game?

hes a midtable manager totally out of his depth at this level. I don't hate the guy but he seems clueless about priorities

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
True to an extent, but our players are grown men and not children. If you are a professional footballer at least your goal should be to win the match you are going into. Yes, a person like e.g. Klopp can certainly push a few more percent of energy out of players, but what we have seen today or against Roma was basically refusal to work.
I just wish that we had a manager that dares to bench even our “star“ players after performances like that, so if you mean something like that, then yes, I agree.

Because any manager's number one objective is to win games so whoever he is, he can't afford to bench our star players because our bench is so weak and not up to the task to come in and win games. If he does and ends up losing a few games, he will be under a lot of pressure from the board, the fans and the media.

I really think our dressing room needs a major shakeup. How can they be this lackadaisical? Not just today, they have been like this for years.

serghei

Because any manager's number one objective is to win games so whoever he is, he can't afford to bench our star players because our bench is so weak and not up to the task to come in and win games. If he does and ends up losing a few games, he will be under a lot of pressure from the board, the fans and the media.

I really think our dressing room needs a major shakeup. How can they be this lackadaisical? Not just today, they have been like this for years.

It's also because we kind of didn't have a trully bad season in years. Probably since Tata. We've always managed to win big titles in recent times, so our issues, while exposed in CL, were never really insisted upon. What is it, 7/8 titles in the last 4 years in Spain? So the problem grew and grew as we won titles. CL showing in the last season should've been a big alarm bell, but oddly, nothing changed. It happened again this season in much the same fashion.

This is really the last wake up call, especially regarding the next CL campaign.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

You are right about the pressure and Valverde did best he could to stay afloat considering the circumstances. He made bad decisions later in the season though and he needs to learn from it.

Next season I want to see more rotations and more willingness to develop the youth. Living another day and for the next match is not this club should settle with long term.

Jägermeister

I understand, but I mean if the star players perform like amateurs, then the manager has all the right to try and give the minutes to players like Denis (who I don´t even rate highly) who actually put effort in what they are doing. My opinion is just that the manager should have the last word and if the players don´t like it, then they have the possibility to regain the manager´s trust by performing well in training.

shadows

It's also because we kind of didn't have a trully bad season in years. Probably since Tata. We've always managed to win big titles in recent times, so our issues, while exposed in CL, were never really insisted upon.

What is it, 7/8 titles in the last 4 years in Spain?

I think its not just that...But this current board has invested in a lot of mediocre/bad players .. I am OK with building around Messi but not with the players they got recently...and unless the current president and the board is gone, dont really see anything changing..Sure we may get Griezmann but how is he going to solve the midfield problem which would now not have Iniesta or our defensive liabilities in Jordi Alba and lack of half decent back up CB's.....EV is just being a nice person i guess..seeing that he has to pick 5-6 from the shit he has(Gomes , Suarez, Paco ) ..he decides to pick the most proven one... I am not saying EV is not to blame..The Roma loss is totally on him plus He has rode his luck through the season otherwise...

Raketa10

Not in a club driven by board's desire to keep building it around Messi. Seems like one of the reasons that Fernandez guy, director of football, is getting sacked.

While Valverde is probably being TOO respectful towards the club's wishes to maintain philosophy, they ended up in this limbo of him trying to address the issues his own way and Barca board and players actually getting behind it.

If we don’t count Dembele and Coutinho Fernandez literally had ONE good buy and that’s Umtiti so no he is not being sucked because of the reason you mentioned. He bought Gomes, Paco, Mina...Should I continue? I won’t cry many tears over Robert.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
To change the conversations.. Who do you appoint then instead of Valverde? Think it's impossible to get a Klopp that's also Barca DNA.

Raketa10

To change the conversations.. Who do you appoint then instead of Valverde? Think it's impossible to get a Klopp that's also Barca DNA.

No one. There is literally no manager for Barca on the market right now and that’s one of the reasons why Valverde should stay. I don’t like him at all, I never did but the fact is we can’t find a better one right now.

I wanted Tuchel but he is going to PSG...

Last edited:

George_Costanza

No one. There is literally no manager for Barca on the market right now and that’s one of the reasons why Valverde should stay. I don’t like him at all, I never did but the fact is we can’t find a better one right now.

They are many but they aren't as conservative to your liking.

serghei

I don't think there's a manager available that would basically command this team and make the players cut the shit and stay focused when they have to. But there are better options out there who would get a higher quality football from this team. Setien is the best bet.

Joan

I'm not looking forward to the next season right now, to be frank. Something is rotten in the club of Barcelona. I wouldn't point the finger to EV himself, but he just doesn't seem to be the right guy.

shadows

I'm not looking forward to the next season right now, to be frank. Something is rotten in the club of Barcelona. I wouldn't point the finger to EV himself, but he just doesn't seem to be the right guy.

The board is whats wrong and has been ever since Laporta was done..we have gone on a steady downhill ever since(Rosell , Batro etc)..

FCBfan22

I do think, as Wolfe said before, that some players like Suarez have a bit too much influence over the manager and the dressing room. The dressing room should have one leader. The captain, not 4-5 different ones.

Of course there is something rotten in the managment too. Rotting from Pep Segura and Barto downwards.

Home of Barca Fans