Ernesto Valverde - V1

michelco

I just cant fathom he's changed system just to accomodate Suarez when clearly Messi was on fire as false 9 in the 4-3-3. It isnt the Valverde I know to do such things, perhaps this job is a little too big for him as it seems he gets influenced by the names on the back of the shirts

serghei

I don't like his football, and we'll see more on wednesday how effective it can be against a top 5 side at their stadium. Grinding out wins against the smaller teams isn't THAT praise worthy. He's 1 win, 1 draw, and 2 losses against top teams so far. Hardly impressive. You need the whole package to be called a very good coach. Consistency against the smaller teams and good performances against the top ones. Got schooled by Zidane two times, got dominated by Simeone 1 out of 2 halves, and beat an injury-ridden Juventus at home, mostly because of an inspired Messi.

Juventus away will be a big test for him imo. If he wins that one, that would be a great statement that we're more than just about grinding wins against smaller sides this season.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Lel.
We won't lose against Juve, guys.

In the worst case scenario, we'll lose 1:0 or 2:1, but imo, even that won't happen.

So, if you want to whine about Barca and EV, try harder because you will need better arguments than: top European teams will punish us (I am not saying that we will win a CL though, but we won't be any worse than "a famous" MSN's Barca).
Wait 2-3 days and you'll see that they won't.

Us conceding only a few goals this season really isn't ONLY because of luck.

Anyway, wait and see...

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I just cant fathom he's changed system just to accomodate Suarez when clearly Messi was on fire as false 9 in the 4-3-3. It isnt the Valverde I know to do such things, perhaps this job is a little too big for him as it seems he gets influenced by the names on the back of the shirts

If he really changed the system to accommodate Suarez it perhaps implies that he is more able than he is given credit for in the forum! I mean, an able manager would want to bring the best out of the team as a whole rather than just bringing the best out of the best player at the expense of the others!!
It also makes sense if he opted to bring the best out of Suarez (by moving him to his natural position) by making it a bit harder for Leo because Leo is definitely capable of getting accustomed to changes him being the most versatile in the team and it is only a matter of time before he gets used to a change in tactics and offer his best in the new role

Moreover, if he really brought about that change, it says that he knows more tactics than he is given credit for - Like people keep saying that he is a moron and is only looking for today's result rather than have a vision for future as well, can't take risks, etc. After all, he is taking that risk of moving the best player away from his most comfortable position? And he knows the tactics to achieve that?

However, I hate the fact that he can't/won't bring in the B team gems

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

If he really changed the system to accommodate Suarez it perhaps implies that he is more able than he is given credit for in the forum! I mean, an able manager would want to bring the best out of the team as a whole rather than just bringing the best out of the best player at the expense of the others!!
It also makes sense if he opted to bring the best out of Suarez (by moving him to his natural position) by making it a bit harder for Leo because Leo is definitely capable of getting accustomed to changes him being the most versatile in the team and it is only a matter of time before he gets used to a change in tactics and offer his best in the new role

Moreover, if he really brought about that change, it says that he knows more tactics than he is given credit for - Like people keep saying that he is a moron and is only looking for today's result rather than have a vision for future as well, can't take risks, etc. After all, he is taking that risk of moving the best player away from his most comfortable position? And he knows the tactics to achieve that?

Right, but what's happened to Denis, Deulofeu, Alba, Semedo and the passing triangles in midfield just to accommodate him? Suarez is happy, he is playing in his preferred position and he is still shit... I’m not going to let 2 scrappy goals pull the wool over my eyes. What about the rest of the team who were playing well before this system change?

JamDav1982

Right, but what's happened to Denis, Deulofeu, Alba, Semedo and the passing triangles in midfield just to accommodate him? Suarez is happy, he is playing in his preferred position and he is still shit... I’m not going to let 2 scrappy goals pull the wool over my eyes. What about the rest of the team who were playing well before this system change?

You change your idea of what the system is from day to day to suit your latest point.

BBZ8800

Sack Valverde, hire [MENTION=22503]MessiCam[/MENTION] as a manager.

And play Denis, Deulofeu, Semedo, Alena and everyone.

MessiCam convinced me. Valverde is doing abolutely EVERYTHING wrong, in every single aspect :valverde:

I would like Sarri to manage us in the future. I like what he has done in Napoli.

You mean:
Playing beautiful, winning zero domestic trophies, doing absolutely nothing in Europe?

MessiCam convinced me. Valverde is doing abolutely EVERYTHING wrong, in every single aspect :valverde:

You mean:
Playing beautiful, winning zero domestic trophies, doing absolutely nothing in Europe?

What's with the gross exaggeration and excess sarcasm? No need be a prick about it if you don't agree with someone.

Also did you just compare Napoli to Barcelona? :facepalm: The size, expectations and transfer budgets of the two teams aren't remotely comparable. Sarri is doing a hell of a job with what he has. Napoli is 1st in Serie A right now, with only 4 dropped points, while playing attractive football with a lesser squad. The same cannot be said about Valverde, who is getting results at the moment, but has the team playing like shit and will likely get embarrassed in the CL.

michelco

Arguably the performances of the team has been alot worse after abandoning the false-9 4-3-3. But it is ofcourse subjective since results has been equally good.

M

MessiCam

You mean:
Wow... Take it easy man.

Instead of the hyperbole why don’t you provide an argument which doesn’t resort to history when analysing Valverde’s performances thus far. Tell me why the player he should be building his side around is being reduced to a secondary act... Tell me why he persists with these narrow 2 man striker formations... Tell me why the likes of Denis, Paulinho etc who more often than not perform when given a chance warm the bench whereas Paco has one good game gets to start... 18 games into the season and Rakitic has had 2 good performances against Juventus and Sevilla but yet he has more game time than everybody bar Messi and Ter Stegen. Tell me why after a solid start the play has regressed to such an extent it’s excruciating to watch...

Regarding Sarri... I expected something like that from you actually because it shows your notion that that type of game can only be played by Xavi and Iniesta types is false.

BBZ8800

Regarding Sarri... I expected something like that from you actually because it shows your notion that that type of game can only be played by Xavi and Iniesta types is false.

Regarding Sarri, I am sarcastic about him because people are jumping on hype trains easily.
You weren't a member of this forum last year (I guess so) when 90% of our members were raving about a magician Sampaoli, as the best thing since the sliced bread. He was almost hailed as a Goat out of coaches here. The only guy who can bring Tiki-Taka and trophies back to Barca.
You know, because his team played nice for the first 10-15 rounds and he was winning points back then.
Majority of posts were: omg, we need to hire Sampaoli, if we don't hire him, we will be the biggest idiots ever. What is the board doing? Those idiots...

While some of us (not too many, though) were saying: calm down people and breathe. Let's wait a few more Months and see:
1. whether his team will drop a lot in form
2. whether he will start to fight with the board/players/referees
3. let's see a physical condition of his players in spring, because some coaches like to play their teams at 120% in autumn to get results and players get exhausted later in spring (Capello's teams when he worked in Seria A) etc
4. how will he handle a pressure of being on top?

A few Months later, Sevilla lost their form both in terms of beauty and results.
Sampaoli showed some bad temper and was losing nerves easily later during the season. So, he is not mentally stable/strong for Barca's level.
Sevilla got knocked out in a CL by a far weaker opponent.

In short, I don't like:
1. one season wonders in coaches (Sarri)
2. one season wonders in players (Seri, Fekir)
3. one season wonders in youth gems etc

Regarding Sarri and coaches from smaller teams, it happened way too often that those coaches are good in overachieving for that level of teams (smaller teams).
When they go to a bigger teams/bigger countries, they usually fail.

Sarri's team plays nice.
He has zero La liga experience, he hasn't won any major trophy yet etc.
And I believe that Napoli will crumble in spring and Juve will win a title, as always.

So, my remark isn't about Sarri and a beautiful style of play but about coaches/players who are hyped, one season wonders and who fail in teams like Barca in probably 90% of cases (my estimation, don't jump on that number).

What's with the gross exaggeration and excess sarcasm? No need be a prick about it if you don't agree with someone.

Also did you just compare Napoli to Barcelona? :facepalm: The size, expectations and transfer budgets of the two teams aren't remotely comparable. Sarri is doing a hell of a job with what he has. Napoli is 1st in Serie A right now, with only 4 dropped points, while playing attractive football with a lesser squad. The same cannot be said about Valverde, who is getting results at the moment, but has the team playing like shit and will likely get embarrassed in the CL.

I "love" MessiCam to some extent, even though his ideas are totally the opposite of mines.
Also, he said that he is watching football for 30 years, so he is probably an older guy, so I think that he won't get offended on silly internet stuff like this.

If MessiCam is offended, my apology. I didn't mean too be that cruel, I just wanted to poke him a little, because he is writing 20 posts per day how Barca sucks, Valverde sucks, everything sucks, and yet, we have the best league start ever.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

Regarding Sarri, I am sarcastic about him because people are jumping on hype trains easily.
You weren't a member of this forum last year (I guess so) when 90% of our members were raving about a magician Sampaoli, as the best thing since the sliced bread. He was almost hailed as a Goat out of coaches here. The only guy who can bring Tiki-Taka and trophies back to Barca.
You know, because his team played nice for the first 10-15 rounds and he was winning points back then.
Majority of posts were: omg, we need to hire Sampaoli, if we don't hire him, we will be the biggest idiots ever. What is the board doing? Those idiots...

While some of us (not too many, though) were saying: calm down people and breathe. Let's wait a few more Months and see:
1. whether his team will drop a lot in form
2. whether he will start to fight with the board/players/referees
3. let's see a physical condition of his players in spring, because some coaches like to play their teams at 120% in autumn to get results and players get exhausted later in spring (Capello's teams when he worked in Seria A) etc
4. how will he handle a pressure of being on top?

A few Months later, Sevilla lost their form both in terms of beauty and results.
Sampaoli showed some bad temper and was losing nerves easily later during the season. So, he is not mentally stable/strong for Barca's level.
Sevilla got knocked out in a CL by a far weaker opponent.

In short, I don't like:
1. one season wonders in coaches (Sarri)
2. one season wonders in players (Seri, Fekir)
3. one season wonders in youth gems etc

Regarding Sarri and coaches from smaller teams, it happened way too often that those coaches are good in overachieving for that level of teams (smaller teams).
When they go to a bigger teams/bigger countries, they usually fail.

Sarri's team plays nice.
He has zero La liga experience, he hasn't won any major trophy yet etc.
And I believe that Napoli will crumble in spring and Juve will win a title, as always.

So, my remark isn't about Sarri and a beautiful style of play but about coaches/players who are hyped, one season wonders and who fail in teams like Barca in probably 90% of cases (my estimation, don't jump on that number).
I’m not impressed by one season wonders either and it’s why I’m against Coutinho, Fekir, Seri etc especially with the costs involved. And totally against The signing of Griezmann because he is expensive and his output is no better than that if a good winger.

That said, what I don’t stand for is misusing your best players young or old at a given time to persist with underperforming ones. In my opinion Valverde has done absolutely nothing with this side since the early games...

Regarding Sarri, he is not a one season wonder and has a near 70% win rate with Napoli since he took over which is only bettered by Allegri in Italy.

I "love" MessiCam to some extent, even though his ideas are totally the opposite of mines.
Also, he said that he is watching football for 30 years, so he is probably an older guy, so I think that he won't get offended on silly internet stuff like this.

If MessiCam is offended, my apology. I didn't mean too be that cruel, I just wanted to poke him a little, because he is writing 20 posts per day how Barca sucks, Valverde sucks, everything sucks, and yet, we have the best league start ever.
I wasn’t offended. And I’m appreciative of the results but I’m not appreciative of Valverde because it’s ugly in a manner I haven’t seen in many, many years. A few losses will do him good.

Home of Barca Fans