Eric Garcia (loaned to Girona)

Mateka

First post, so please go easy on me.
Garcia is fourth choice at City. Possibly fifth. Garcia wants to leave. City know that. City have just signed Ferran Torres, paid a reported initial fee of ?20.9 million ($27 million). Plus add ons.
City want ?20 million plus add ons for Garcia. They were both in last year of contract.
It is reported Bar?a only offered 10 million including add ons. One report tonight stated Bar?a fell short by only 2 million. Surely Bar?a can find 2 million? Garcia is 19 and an international player. Next season a Messi Garcia swap.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
It was more than a fair offer by Barca and I am by no means an advocate of this board. City's decision reflects pettiness certainly linked to the Messi saga - player suffers as a result

Player's market value was less than 10M at close of season, as soon as Barca enter into it he is overvalued in the last 7 months of his contract when no other clubs were potential suitors. I am happy we spent nothing on the player, he will arrive for free in 7 months - City blew 19M (18M fees +1M in wages) for a player who is at best 5th in their rotation. It's bad business on their part and youth players considering City will think twice

Porque

It was more than a fair offer by Barca and I am by no means an advocate of this board. City's decision reflects pettiness certainly linked to the Messi saga - player suffers as a result

Player's market value was less than 10M at close of season, as soon as Barca enter into it he is overvalued in the last 7 months of his contract when no other clubs were potential suitors. I am happy we spent nothing on the player, he will arrive for free in 7 months - City blew 19M (18M fees +1M in wages) for a player who is at best 5th in their rotation. It's bad business on their part and youth players considering City will think twice

Agreed. For Barcelona the deal being delayed until the Winter market has it's benefits. It gives us a chance to fully concentrate on establishing Araujo first. You would have to imagine that Eric Garcia would be pushed before Araujo being Catalan and better on the ball. But Araujo is a way more interesting defender long term.

The loser is Eric Garcia though who won't play much for atleast half a season. He is gunning for a spot in the Spain squad for EuroCopa so game-time is precious.

I'm guessing now that Barcelona will sign both Depay and Eric Garcia for next season and then negotiate with the clubs a low purchase fee for winter- take it or leave it. Whoever doesn't take it, we wait a season and get for free. Good business but a bit of a shame for Lyon who unlike City seemed very accommodating in regards to us signing Depay.

khaled_a_d

The loser is Eric Garcia though who won't play much for atleast half a season. He is gunning for a spot in the Spain squad for EuroCopa so game-time is precious.

I'm guessing now that Barcelona will sign both Depay and Eric Garcia for next season

There is a good chance now that we will have a new board before winter, what if they don't rate Garcia? What if they don't like Depay?

Porque

There is a good chance now that we will have a new board before winter, what if they don't rate Garcia? What if they don't like Depay?

That's a good point. Which this space- I guess. To which point, the new board (if post elections) will choose their own signings.

khaled_a_d

That's a good point. Which this space- I guess. To which point, the new board (if post elections) will choose their own signings.

I mean, the next board, means a totally different Barcelona in terms of management and technical stuff, only Koeman and assistant will be here and a bad October (we have brutal schedule) and he could lose a lot of leverage in making signings.
I think this is part of City decision, they know they can have a chance later to renew Eric if Barca pull out of negotiations through different board

Messi983

I think Font/Xavi would clearly also like Garcia. Laporta as well. And if one of the other candidates wins I also don't think he would be much against bringing back a former La Masia kid on cheap/free. As said before though I don't really rate Garcia all that much and won't be too disappointed if he won't return and we'd get someone superior to him like Upamecano or Kounde.

On the other hand Depay coming here depends a lot on Koeman staying beyond this season which will be up to what he can do over the next few months. If he'll be successful then I don't think any new president would replace him from the start and then giving Koeman a player or two he likes (and that we can afford) as a "welcome gift" to start their working relationship on a good note is also not unlikely.

I think this is part of City decision, they know they can have a chance later to renew Eric if Barca pull out of negotiations through different board

Why would they want to keep Eric? He's their 5th choice CB at the moment and they've spend 300m or more on CBs over the last few years. It's pretty obvious they don't really rate him and even with Barca potentially out of the way he probably wouldn't want to stay there and prefer to sign with another club where he'll be given more playing time.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

Xavi said he wont be in favour of bringing back La Masia players, and was directly talking about Garcia.

But I am pretty sure Depay and Garcia will both join, because its just good business.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Agreed. For Barcelona the deal being delayed until the Winter market has it's benefits. It gives us a chance to fully concentrate on establishing Araujo first. You would have to imagine that Eric Garcia would be pushed before Araujo being Catalan and better on the ball. But Araujo is a way more interesting defender long term.

I'm guessing now that Barcelona will sign both Depay and Eric Garcia for next season and then negotiate with the clubs a low purchase fee for winter- take it or leave it. Whoever doesn't take it, we wait a season and get for free. Good business but a bit of a shame for Lyon who unlike City seemed very accommodating in regards to us signing Depay.

Definitely, I feel for the player as well. I have not been critical of Pep or Txiki before but here, they did not really consider the interests of the player. Objectively speaking, this was a deal that shoud've been facilitated and even more so considering the cules involved. Perhaps Khaldoon or City sheikhs simply weren't going to relent after Bartomeu refused to let Messi leave. Of course, Garcia is a kid and is not the goat

Nevertheless, cantera players that leave via the backdoor like Eric understand the return is never easy and at the very least, the outcome is assured - he will return home and become a key piece to the future of the club + he comes for free. Effectively, Barca received 1.7M in compensation and 3 years of tutelage from Pep for free - the alternative would've been the Segunda under Pimienta rather than any 1st team football. Barca come out of this way ahead

City, on the other hand, there will be a ripple effect for them as a consequence of how they've put Garcia in the shade

Mateka

Barca come out sadly looking poor. They could not afford an additional 2 million to get the deal done. Garcia now picks up another international cap at 19 years of age. He will end up at Barca eventually but it will not be at Barca’s demands.
City have another season to reason with Garcia who will feature in Cup games or when players are injured or suspended. Will
Koeman still be there next season? Will Garcia be wanted?
How the mighty have fallen, when Barca cannot get a transfer for Garcia over the line.
Bad blood possibly over Messi. Who, if City wants him, will swap places with Garcia. That next season, is a better deal for Barca due to Messi age.
If Barca cannot negotiate a deal for a fifth choice CB at another club, it underlines the mess they are sadly in.

behindbrowneyes

After the contract extensions of Pique ('24) and Lenglet ('26) it should be pretty clear that the backline doesn't need another rather slowish player. Try everything to get Upamecano for that 42M buy-out next summer and move on.

Home of Barca Fans