Doping in Football

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
It makes a huge difference for the pressing game.

Yeah but Barcelona has never really been pressing as incessantly as teams like Real Madrid, Bayern and Dortmund have been doing recently. For Barca it was more about applying it at the right time and place whereas the other clubs basically press everywhere on the pitch.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I have lifted this from another forum but it somewhat sums up my opinion regarding doping in football and why I don't think it's ublikely that it has been widespread in Spain or Europe over the last decade.

1. In cycling hwere its all about endurance, increasing a heamatocrit level from x to y will give a person an edge over his equally fit and hard training rival. It is the difference between winning and losing.

Not so in football. A bit of extra endurance is perhaps a benefit - but it wont turn "donkey's into thoroughbreds" as it does (famously) with cyclists. It wont improve your touch, your footballing brain, your ability.

2. The suggestion of a widespread culture of systematic doping at a club like Barcelona is attractive to people who watch them and want to find a reason why they're better than everyone else, but the reality is undertaking something like this free from the eyes of the authorities or press is mind boggling in terms of logistics.

Yeah, it's a really stupid thing to do if you're a footballer/club as it's more difficult to cover up the more people are involved.

Irish_Cules

I have lifted this from another forum but it somewhat sums up my opinion regarding doping in football and why I don't think it's ublikely that it has been widespread in Spain or Europe over the last decade.

1. In cycling hwere its all about endurance, increasing a heamatocrit level from x to y will give a person an edge over his equally fit and hard training rival. It is the difference between winning and losing.

Not so in football. A bit of extra endurance is perhaps a benefit - but it wont turn "donkey's into thoroughbreds" as it does (famously) with cyclists. It wont improve your touch, your footballing brain, your ability.

2. The suggestion of a widespread culture of systematic doping at a club like Barcelona is attractive to people who watch them and want to find a reason why they're better than everyone else, but the reality is undertaking something like this free from the eyes of the authorities or press is mind boggling in terms of logistics.

I agree that endurance is only a part of football but when it comes to the highest level it can make all the difference. We always talk about how the tiny details decide games at the highest level in football. Someone who is doping would not tire as easy and therefore would maintain a higher level of concentration throughout the match. This would perhaps prevent them from making a mistake or losing a yard on their opponent which would result in them conceding a goal and losing a match, qualification for a tournament, a final etc. Doping in football does not turn donkeys into thoroughbreds like cycling but it still could be the difference between a team winning and losing.

DennyCrane

Agree with Irish_Cules.
That bit of extra endurance is pivotal in professional football, where a game can be decided by half a second or half a metre.
Also, doping isn't solely about endurance: It can also be used for heightening concentration, developing muscle mass, match recovery or recovery from injuries. It's multi purpose, and while it isn't the be all and end all, it gives a decisive edge; to quote Paul Breitner:

The footballer who believes that with doping he can keep his starting place, who can contribute more to victory, and can earn more money – why would he not use doping? The motivation to dope is the same for a footballer as it is for a cyclist.

And Breitner is correct. Even if a team/club isn't involved into systematic doping, what would keep a single player from doing it on his own out of personal reasons ? For example, Neururer accused many of his former players at Schalke of abusing Captagon while he was coach. Jens Lehmann confirmed it, while the club denied any knowledge.

Other than that, there's no need for a cover-up, simply because the detection methods used in professional football are borderline laughable, especially compared to cycling. And there's a reason for that.

Last edited:

Yugi

I can´t imagine the hell Spain would go through if it was found out that they used doping and what not in WC, EC...but they would probably find something in Germans and other teams as well
it´s sad that we don´t see true human potential but just some guys on drugs sporting like mentals

Irish_Cules

I posted this in the Deco thread but I think it belongs here also. He tested positive for a banned substance that is known to be used to cover up performance enhancing drugs.

Here are some tweets by Giggs_Bosson on the matter......

Giggs-Boson ‏@Giggs_Boson 10m
Substance Deco tested positive for, is used to hide performance enhancing substances. How likely is it that Deco, 35, a first time user?

Giggs-Boson ‏@Giggs_Boson 9m
Deco, a player in the twilight of his career desperately trying to prolong it, or a long time user finally caught by slack testing?

Giggs-Boson ‏@Giggs_Boson 5m
At 35, would Deco risk putting his entire top-level career in question by a sudden fondness for drug use? Unknown. Seems unlikely.

Giggs-Boson ‏@Giggs_Boson 3m
Deco's club incidentally, Fluminense, are current champions of Brazil.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
I thought it was obvious that a large number of footballers dope. It just gets ignored because doping won't make you a better at football, though the large stamina boost would help a hell of a lot. Honestly it does need to be gotten rid off for good.

Home of Barca Fans