Denis Suarez

BBZ8800

Who you consider box to box in the current squad? I would say only Paulinho is box to box without argument, but if you think Rakitic & Gomes are b2b too then many from the past qualify for that too

Yes, I have no idea whom he considers as box to box midfielders.

Probably: Paulinho, Roberto, Gomes and Rakitic.
Even though Roberto doesn't play at all as a midfielder, he is our RB.

But, ok, even with that logic, we can find lots of Barca's roosters with a similar level of physically tall, box to box midfielders, according to MessiCam's criterias.
More or less, any Barca's team EXCEPT in Xavi-Iniesta (once in a lifetime) had lots of physical midfielders.

Here we go:
2005/06:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005–06_FC_Barcelona_season

We won our 2nd CL in a history in that season.

Mark Van Bommel, 187cm, box to box.
Edmilson, Cdm, 186 cm. He could probably fit this criteria to some extent.
Thiago Motta, used as both Cdm and Cm, 187 cm. Box to box, NOT Barca's style midfielder.
Gabri Garcia, 175 cm, but not as physically weak as Iniesta, Denis and similar players. A fighter, all rounder, runner, tackler, used on all positions in defense, midfield and on all wings positions. Used like Sergi Roberto on all positions. He played as a box to box midfielder, according to these criterias.
Is Rafael Marquez also fit for this criteria? Used as a CB-Cdm.

2003/04, first Rijkaard's year:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003–04_FC_Barcelona_season

Edgar Davids, the most classic example of a TRUE box to box fighter-midfield.
Thiago Motta again.
Rafael Marquez again.
Gabri Garcia again.
Philip Cocu, a true box to box hardworker, used on every single defensive, midfield and wing position in our team.
Luis Enrique, he ran and fight more than Rakitic or Gomes. So, if those two are box to box, Lucho could fit that criteria also, I guess.
This is 6 fighter-combative midfielders in 2003/2004 when we fought back from midtable position to a 10-games winning streak in spring and we almost won a title in the end (finished 2nd behind Valencia).

None of these 6 has absolutely NOTHING with Barca's type of short, fast, technical Xavi-Iniesta-Denis midfielders.
Plus, Gerard Lopez is probably a box to box under these criterias.

2000-01:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000–01_FC_Barcelona_season

Cocu, a classic box to box.
Petit, the most classic box to box midfielder.
Gabri Garcia.
Luis Enrique.
Not to mention, if Rakitic is box to box, then Gerard Lopez (Cm) and Pep Guardiola (Cdm) has some similarities also (at least Gerard Lopez).

4-5 box to box players again.

2002/03:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002–03_FC_Barcelona_season

Cocu.
Fabio Rochemback, a very dumb box to box hardworking runner, tackler, worker.
Gabri.
Gerard Lopez.
Lucho.
Thiago Motta.

On the other hand, I know when we didn't have any box to box, stronger players.
In Pep's, Xavi-Iniesta's era.

But for guys who watched Barca and grew up under Xavi-Iniesta, they grew up under the impression that it is THE ONLY way to play football and that it is how we played football always.
That's far from the truth.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

Who you consider box to box in the current squad? I would say only Paulinho is box to box without argument, but if you think Rakitic & Gomes are b2b too then many from the past qualify for that too

Rakitic and Gomes are box to box midfielders without a shadow of doubt. Look it up, research it if you don't believe me. Roberto has morphed into a box to box midfielder too.

You're going to have to be a lot more specific about the many from the past for us to discuss this further. Amor, Gabri, Keita, Van Bommel... Who else?

These type of box to box players have been few and far between at Barcelona and for good reason too. There is nothing wrong with them it's just they stand out like a fart in a perfume factory due to their usual lack of technical ability but they're good at tracking back and darting forward, with or without the ball, and making runs into the box.

khaled_a_d

Rakitic and Gomes are box to box midfielders without a shadow of doubt. Look it up, research it if you don't believe me. Roberto has morphed into a box to box midfielder too.

You're going to have to be a lot more specific about the many from the past for us to discuss this further. Amor, Gabri, Keita, Van Bommel... Who else?

These type of box to box players have been few and far between at Barcelona and for good reason too. There is nothing wrong with them it's just they stand out like a fart in a perfume factory due to their usual lack of technical ability but they're good at tracking back and darting forward, with or without the ball, and making runs into the box.

Only one of those was signed by EV, so why you are angry of him?
BBZ has replied about your argument btw, there is plenty of players who were here that were b2b by this qualification. Hell if you consider Rakitic as b2b I think even Deco can be considered one.
Also, we have 8 players that can play the CM/AM role: Gomes/Paulinho/Rakitic/Roberto/Arda/Denis/Iniesta. I doubt we ever had such amount of number for those two positions anyway. if 3 of them are b2b and one is semi b2b then it is 50%. I think during Rijkaard there was plenty of such % in the squad

M

MessiCam

I don’t want to laugh but maybe I should explain what a box to box midfielder is first so that you guys don’t confuse them with defensive midfielders.

A box to box midfielder is central midfielder who can defend his box, carry the ball forward and be an attacking threat in the opponents box. A player comfortable in defence and attack... Does that ring a bell? Not hardworking defensive midfielders

Naming every single defensive midfielder that has played for Barça doesn’t prove your point... Out of that long list I’ll give you Davids because he was very proficient at getting up and down the field and being a scoring threat.

Cocu (DM), Petit (DM that played CB for us, lol), Lucho (could play basically anywhere but he was an attacking midfielder or wing) were not box to box midfielders. And stop mentioning Márquez. He was a CB who at times played as DM.

Over the last 30 years you can count the amount of box to box midfielders with your digits. This year we have 4.

khaled_a_d

And how is Gomes and Rakitic are box to box?
I mear regardless their current level, both of their playing style are far from your own definition atm, both of them are guys who prefers slow build up plays and do a lot of sideway passes rather than carrying the ball forward. b2b usually tend to be involved more into direct play rather than slow build up, if anything as a midfielder Denis does that more than the other duo.

BBZ8800

I don’t want to laugh but maybe I should explain what a box to box midfielder is first so that you guys don’t confuse them with defensive midfielders.

A box to box midfielder is central midfielder who can defend his box, carry the ball forward and be an attacking threat in the opponents box. A player comfortable in defence and attack... Does that ring a bell? Not hardworking defensive midfielders

Naming every single defensive midfielder that has played for Barça doesn’t prove your point... Out of that long list I’ll give you Davids because he was very proficient at getting up and down the field and being a scoring threat.

Cocu (DM), Petit (DM that played CB for us, lol), Lucho (could play basically anywhere but he was an attacking midfielder or wing) were not box to box midfielders. And stop mentioning Márquez. He was a CB who at times played as DM.

Over the last 30 years you can count the amount of box to box midfielders with your digits. This year we have 4.

Wait, what, lol, wtf?
Cocu is NOT a box to box midfielder, even though a guy played as a CB, LB, RB, wingback, defensive midfielder, central midfielder, attacking midfielder, winger for Barcelona and Netherlands plus as a striker (for Netherland's NT at world cup France 1998 in a group stage).
A guy could have played every single position, and if he played both as a fullback, CB and a Cdm, and as a striker, I guess that he was comfortable to play both in attack and defense under your criteria, lol?
Gomes is a crap in defense and horrible in shooting.
And yet you call him a box to box, and Cocu isn't?

Let's refresh your memories, Philip Cocu in Barcelona:

Also, why on Earth is Gomes a box to box, and Petit isn't?
Or why is a silent CAM Paulinho more box to box than Petit?

M

MessiCam

And how is Gomes and Rakitic are box to box?
I mear regardless their current level, both of their playing style are far from your own definition atm, both of them are guys who prefers slow build up plays and do a lot of sideway passes rather than carrying the ball forward. b2b usually tend to be involved more into direct play rather than slow build up, if anything as a midfielder Denis does that more than the other duo.
But that’s my point. They’re box to box midfielders who are out of their depth at Barcelona. They don’t prefer slow build ups they’re forced to play that way by us. Watch them at their previous clubs.

JamDav1982

You guys seem to be of the opinion that every player with height and physicality is a box to box player...

If your argument is that you want physical presence in midfield then fine but don't argue that every player with height and strength is a box to box player.

Now, I ask again. When in the last 30 years has Barcelona had as many box to box midfielders as they do in this current squad?

Where has anyone claimed that all tall physical players are 'box to box'? Seems to me you are the one trying to do that more than anyone else.

Raki was not a 'box to box' player at Sevilla when Barca bought him and has never been that at Barca.

The point about mentioning likes of Marquez in not about 'box to box' players but Barca midfields that have given up more technical ability in the past than this one does.

Tell us your ideal starting line up of the players fit just now.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

But that’s my point. They’re box to box midfielders who are out of their depth at Barcelona. They don’t prefer slow build ups they’re forced to play that way by us. Watch them at their previous clubs.

I've watched Rakitic since 07/08 season with Schalke (was one of my favorite clubs back then) and again in Seville, never really considered him a b2b ever, he was always an attacking midfielder and even when he joined us he wasn't a b2b, he was an AM who was asked to use his defensive skills and workrate and with time those became more important in his game due to: 1-him not being naturally as talented of past Barca midfielders like Xavi & Iniesta Barca 2-has dropped form 3-Barca had to protect MSN & Iniesta lack of defense

Gomes? tbf you can have a case here,but I see him more of a natural -not b2b- CM but for a less sophisticated team than Barca, I've never wanted him here but never wanted him in RM either as I believed he was gonna blossom there.

M

MessiCam

http://www.just-football.com/2015/06/ivan-rakitic-barcelona-unsung-midfield-hero-cesc-fabregas/

https://m.sportskeeda.com/football/why-ivan-rakitic-not-replacement-xavi-hernandez

You people are arguing for argument sake. If you don’t want to believe me maybe you will believe the sports writers and if not go and argue with them. Rakitic and Gomes are the very definition of box to box midfielders.

https://m.sportskeeda.com/football/andre-gomes-where-does-he-fit-barcelona

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2014/10...es-the-driving-force-behind-the-new-valencia/

You people made me get and google a thing that should be common knowledge for anybody that’s followed or played this game for amount of time.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Nope.

Rakitic is not box to box. Hasnt been at Sevilla or Barca.

Are you really claiming that some articles that mention them as 'box to box' proves anythig?

Took me 5 seconds to google 'Busquets box to box' to get similar results....

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

Nope.

Hahahaha. Have a good night man. It’s useless arguing with you. Take your issues up with the authors of those pieces because I’m done. You’re likely to make a fool of yourself though. Better yet, why don’t you put up a twitter poll and ask people what kind of players they are and post the results here.

JamDav1982

Hahahaha. Have a good night man. It’s useless arguing with you. Take your issues up with the authors of those pieces because I’m done. You’re likely to make a fool of yourself though. Better yet, why don’t you put up a twitter poll and ask people what kind of players they are and post the results here.

Yeah shoudlnt argue if going to google a players name along with 'box to box' as if it proves anything as someone somewhere has called them that.

Your rules say Busi and Iniesta are box to box.

Awful stuff.

Making a fool of yourself.

M

MessiCam

Nope.

Are you really claiming that some articles that mention them as 'box to box' proves anythig?

Took me 5 seconds to google 'Busquets box to box' to get similar results....
Lol. Post one link here that says Busquets is a box to box midfielder. Come on now.

Home of Barca Fans