David Luiz: Yay or Nay?

Yay or nay?

• Total voters

Tomchin

Definitely have to buy someone, but why does it have to be that they are 40m+ price tags to be considered "world class" or "barca worthy" defenders? Scout some people, find a consistent and reliable player that would fit. Just because someone plays at a lower table club doesn't mean they are shit or unworthy. If we end up having to splash the cash, Inigo Martinez or Jan Vertonghen are better options than Luiz (cheaper and more reliable).
Martinez would cost 38m (30m buyout clause + tax), which would be about the same price as luiz (his selling price is 40m i think). And he doesnt have any experience on top level, so quite a risk.

Don't know about vertonghen, levy is such a pain in the ass, so he certainly wouldnt be cheap either. Also, why do you think vertonghen would be a better fit than luiz, which qualities does he have that luiz hasnt?

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Martinez would cost 38m (30m buyout clause + tax), which would be about the same price as luiz (his selling price is 40m i think). And he doesnt have any experience on top level, so quite a risk.

Don't know about vertonghen, levy is such a pain in the ass, so he certainly wouldnt be cheap either. Also, why do you think vertonghen would be a better fit than luiz, which qualities does he have that luiz hasnt?

Vertonghen can score from set pieces as well, he's a great and reliable defender, his passing is also great, and he's versatile if necessary. He has all the technical qualities to play for Barca along with great positioning and aerial ability. Luiz has the technical qualities, but defensively he hasn't performed on the same level as Vertonghen. Levy is a pain in the ass, but Vertonghen would cost around 30m maybe and that's a great price to output ratio compared to Luiz. Why we didn't get him last year when Ajax offered him to us is beyond me. Once again, I reiterate that going for Vertonghen will not be some shrewd and clever scouting deal for a cheap price, he is an option if we are looking to spend big money as shown by our interest in guys like Silva/Luiz/Agger.

Martinez lacks the experience to be a world class superstar defender at his stage, but as a reliable and consistent defensive option for the league and some CL matches, he's good enough for that right now. He was among the best defenders in la liga last season, and also has the qualities to play for Barca. Anyone who negates him by pointing out the u21 euro or Olympics is doing themselves no good, because he's definitely got the ability and potential. He doesn't have to be our star leader defender the moment he walks in, but he will provide great depth and solidity to our defensive options and will be great for the future.

kollegah

david luiz (i dont guarantee the truth of the statements) but,

-afaibt there was no bid for luiz
-barca officials just made contact with chelsea, but they rejected in the same way psg did with thiago Silva (seems logical because dl ist imo a top 10 cb in the world)
-> so no negotiations , just contact about possible negotiations

Alik

It really depends on the price and what our other options are.

If we could get him for around 25 mil euros, then I'd say yes. Still I think there are cheaper better options.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
No.

1) Far too expensive, all the indications of a panic signing which make us pay through the roof for a defender that likely won't have that good of an output
2) Very error prone and wanders way too much, not to mention recklessness and obsession with being an attacking player. He's best as a DM, the Confeds cup proves nothing in his case as Brazil was heavily protected by having Silva and a double pivot.

He has potential and is a fan-favorite type player, but efficiency is what we need in a defender and that's not his forte. I don't care if he can pull off the spectacular every now and then, he'll still most likely be a liability from what he's shown in the past.

Same for me really...He's easy to fall for but even a former coach pointed out how he's too impulsive a defender...An elite CB with pace who can snuff out counters, not get caught out, strong in the tackle & able to move the ball forward...There are not many out there that fit that bill and certainly not at the prices Rosell/Zubi are looking/hoping for...They laid the groundwork very early on Neymar's capture but failed to do that for an elite CB - 3 years running

flamenco

7440_509546629113389_1913506279_n.jpg
:puyol:

jairzinho

Yay but under certain circumstances. He's a good defender. Obviously not on the same level as Thiago Silva but he can still be good for us. The thing is, we shouldn't overspend for him. Definitely not more than 35 mil.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I voted Yay just because at this point I'd take anyone to play CB for us... Seriously, I'd even welcome Chygrinsky back with open arms, even for another 30 million...

This situation is absurd and Zubi needs to be sacked immediately...

nathael

I voted yay, because I want a cb that has improved througout the course of last season resulting in his appointment as a Brazil regular. Scolari knew what he was doing and got repaid through the strong defensiv performance of Luiz during the Confederations Cup. A tournament that might not be as significant regarding prestige as it is showcasing talent, Neymar is one of those Talents. And it is by his improvements througout last season paired with the performance during the confed cup that I drew my picture of his current abilities, which are not perfect yet, but improving interstingly rapid. With that said I don't find it sensible to spend a fortune on him, while cheaper, but still adequate options like Koscielny, Agger, N'Koulou, Papadopolous or even Mathieu are negotiable. But if the price was right or if we had an abundance of cash I would invest in this prospect.

Home of Barca Fans