David Luiz: Yay or Nay?

Yay or nay?

• Total voters

poltergeist

I don't think he's as error prone as it's mostly said. Last season, Ivanovic made a catalogue of errors for Chelsea but he is still seen as a reliable defender. In football, once you have a terrible reputation, it's difficult to shake it off

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I don't think he's as error prone as it's mostly said. Last season, Ivanovic made a catalogue of errors for Chelsea but he is still seen as a reliable defender. In football, once you have a terrible reputation, it's difficult to shake it off

Ivanovic isn't reliable either, but Luiz is definitely not a secure defender (yet). On the ball abilities don't mean much if you can't defend well as a CB (Pique) and while yes he can bomb forward well or score from set pieces, we shouldn't pay 40m for a defender who's positioning is off and lacks discipline.

Galning

Nay.

Terrible, overpriced, last minute panic signing. Can't believe we've spent two years looking for a CB with the end result being: pursuing an unreachable Thiago Silva only to realise 11 days before the start of La Liga that he won't come.

Tomchin

Ivanovic isn't reliable either, but Luiz is definitely not a secure defender (yet). On the ball abilities don't mean much if you can't defend well as a CB (Pique) and while yes he can bomb forward well or score from set pieces, we shouldn't pay 40m for a defender who's positioning is off and lacks discipline.
That's something we lack though (scoring from set pieces).

If Tata can bring the pressing back, maybe the fact that Luiz is relatively error-prone won't be such an issue anymore?

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Nay. If he were guaranteed he'd perform and play at his best level, than sure, but he seems to me exactly like Pique. The only difference is he has a good long shot as opposed to good dribbling. When someone finally manages to make Pique perform well, I'll gladly support signing Luiz.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
That's something we lack though (scoring from set pieces).

If Tata can bring the pressing back, maybe the fact that Luiz is relatively error-prone won't be such an issue anymore?

You don't pay 40m for a player just because his issues won't be that big of a problem and he can score from set pieces. You want a signing to bring a lot of positive addition, not just be protected enough to not subtract from the team.

Tomchin

You don't pay 40m for a player just because his issues won't be that big of a problem and he can score from set pieces. You want a signing to bring a lot of positive addition, not just be protected enough to not subtract from the team.
Yeah, but who do you suggest? Signing no-one this summer, and wait until next summer? Then we'll face the same problem like we're experiencing now, 'cause T. Silva won't be sold next season either.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I don't think we should get him just as a panic buy, but out of the big names he is the most suited to us.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Nay.

Overpriced. Unreliable. He is like a slightly better version of Pique.

Not worth it IMO, but if we do buy him then I hope he matures and plays at his top level since we desperately need that defensive reliability.

Doobs

The Messiah
Yay. Simply because we have no other option. If you think about it, winning the CL or not could depend on signing a CB.

Also, how is it a panic buy when he was always second behind TS? Never mind the fact that he shouldn't be.

Hellsangel

I don't know.

Unguided missile. Apathic and overly ambitious at the same time. Walking liability.
However, if Tata can somehow slap some reliability and consistancy in him, then we should sign him. But that's easier said than done.

His positives are as clear as his negatives. The good news is that he won't get any worse playing for us.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Yeah, but who do you suggest? Signing no-one this summer, and wait until next summer? Then we'll face the same problem like we're experiencing now, 'cause T. Silva won't be sold next season either.

Definitely have to buy someone, but why does it have to be that they are 40m+ price tags to be considered "world class" or "barca worthy" defenders? Scout some people, find a consistent and reliable player that would fit. Just because someone plays at a lower table club doesn't mean they are shit or unworthy. If we end up having to splash the cash, Inigo Martinez or Jan Vertonghen are better options than Luiz (cheaper and more reliable).

Home of Barca Fans