David Alaba

Messi983

Hard to compare him with likes of Ramos or Pique when he was never as good CB as them in first place.

Also, he'd probably earn around the same or more than Umtiti (who we'll probably still have to pay part of his wages if he'll go on loan) and Lenglet together (don't forget he has accepted to lower his wages when he has renewed his contract). Firpo is also not earning too much.

But if we forget his age and financial demands for a minute another thing is what position would we sign him for and where he wants to play. Would he accept being a versatile CB/LB/midfielder so he'd get enough playing time but wouldn't be undisputable starter at any of those positions? I'm not so sure. He'd probably want to have his role in the team clear before he'd sign. Also, players usually struggle to adapt in their first season here so his adaptation process could be even tougher if we'd play him all over the pitch.

Last edited:

Porque

That is true. Good post.

His best position for us would be as starting left centreback in a back three. In those circumstances I feel he would be an excellent addition. But will 352 be a long term solution or just something timely? The rest of the season will tell us.

Rory

Alaba is a player that offers a high probability of giving an acceptable level of quality to us that Lenglet, Umtiti, Firpo all don't have. I'd only sign Alaba if it meant getting rid of one of them though. Getting rid of one of them would practically cover the cost for him. We don't have the finances to buy a high quality defender anyway so this seems like a good solution.

He offers tactical flexibility too.

Joan

Never thought Alaba was as poor as portrayed here. He'd be a serious improvement on Umtiti and Fripo, even though I haven't seen him play as a fullback lately. Probably Lenglet too.

He'd be coming from a world-class side to play the same, well-defined roles in the team. Don't think adapting would be tough like in Coutinho's or Griezmann's case.

He's capable of being Barca's backup DM too and offers versatility (CB in 3-5-2 or a pivot alongside Frenkie in 4-2-3-1). And is still relatively young. Makes sense for Barca if they manage to offload a few.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Alaba is a player that offers a high probability of giving an acceptable level of quality to us that Lenglet, Umtiti, Firpo all don't have. I'd only sign Alaba if it meant getting rid of one of them though. Getting rid of one of them would practically cover the cost for him. We don't have the finances to buy a high quality defender anyway so this seems like a good solution.

He offers tactical flexibility too.

I highly doubt it. Alaba reportedly is asking for 23m a year, that is a lot of money, probably how much all three players make combined, at least two of the three.

As someone who watches Bayern frequently, he is OK as a CB but not great (good feet but positioning is questionable), but as a LB, he is far from his hey days in terms of being effective.

Last edited:

Birdy

LOL
People are questioning Alaba's quality and preferring Lenglet instead.
3 years of Valverdeism does indeed damage perception and destroys football values...

Alaba is WC and plays the CB position as a modern CB should play it, with his pace making sure you can play a high line without worrying every time a ball is being played behind the back.
Remember Umtiti's losing a run against Negredo? You will never see that with Alaba.
He is ideal either as a LB or as the LCB in a 3 at the back.
Laughable to compare him to Lenglet.

The only problem is his wages and whether he will stay injury-free

Bobo32

LOL
People are questioning Alaba's quality and preferring Lenglet instead.
3 years of Valverdeism does indeed damage perception and destroys football values...

Alaba is WC and plays the CB position as a modern CB should play it, with his pace making sure you can play a high line without worrying every time a ball is being played behind the back.
Remember Umtiti's losing a run against Negredo? You will never see that with Alaba.
He is ideal either as a LB or as the LCB in a 3 at the back.
Laughable to compare him to Lenglet.

The only problem is his wages and whether he will stay injury-free

He could be a decent option, I agree. Not totally unlike Abidal as a LCB...
But I am not so sure Barcelona need a lot of new players. I think they should look for their own players instead. Is there a Dani Alves available, pay up and get him, but the club doesn't need too many "decent fits".

Rory

I highly doubt it. Alaba reportedly is asking for 23m a year, that is a lot of money, probably how much all three players make combined, at least two of the three.

As someone who watches Bayern frequently, he is OK as a CB but not great (good feet but positioning is questionable), but as a LB, he is far from his hey days in terms of being effective.

I'm factoring in a transfer fee being paid for 1/2 of them. Even at 23m a year for Alaba it probably breaks even. If we signed him for 3 years on that wage then total price = ~ 70m. If we could sell Firpo for 15m-20m which is doable if Semedo went for 40m. Lenglet for 25m? Plus wages, that's the money back more or less.

To be honest I don't think the goal here should be to break even I'm just trying to show people how it's not some stupid transfer. A player of his quality is worth a 40m loss over a few years for the potential to have a quality player.

Rory

He could be a decent option, I agree. Not totally unlike Abidal as a LCB...
But I am not so sure Barcelona need a lot of new players. I think they should look for their own players instead. Is there a Dani Alves available, pay up and get him, but the club doesn't need too many "decent fits".

I get what you mean here but successful squads need decent fits, players who can adapt and offer flexibility. Imagine if Yaya Toure was poor at CB? If Puyol was poor at RB. Do we win the UCL 08/09? Imagine if Mascherano wasn't a good CB, do we win 10/11, 14/15? A league is won on the depth of your squad 9 times out of 10. Look at Man city this year compared to Liverpool. Real Madrid have managed to win league's due to being able to field a second xi better than most ucl teams.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I'm factoring in a transfer fee being paid for 1/2 of them. Even at 23m a year for Alaba it probably breaks even. If we signed him for 3 years on that wage then total price = ~ 70m. If we could sell Firpo for 15m-20m which is doable if Semedo went for 40m. Lenglet for 25m? Plus wages, that's the money back more or less.

To be honest I don't think the goal here should be to break even I'm just trying to show people how it's not some stupid transfer. A player of his quality is worth a 40m loss over a few years for the potential to have a quality player.

That means we will have to sell all three to get even, based on your numbers. We are not going to able to sell those three I am afraid.

I'd pass on Alaba and anybody like him who demands higher salary than what his ability justifies. Will be a hard renewal down the line too.

Home of Barca Fans