Daniel Alves

footyfan

Calma, calma
I watched it and it wasnt played as a friendly.

Much like the Supercup in Spain is not played as one.

And I saw it too. My comment about the other goals barca conceded was sarcastic, I was hoping I could point out the idiocy involved in drawing conclusions or statistics from games played in July. Note that Bayern had their first competitive match A MONTH after the Supercup, and in between they played a whole host of friendly tournaments.

Edit: It's not a month, it's 2.5 weeks later.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

No their next competitive game was barely a week later then they had a league game a week after that.

Not sure where you got the month gap from.

DavidVillano1

There's nothing to reply to, that's all it is, no offense. If you have something worth discussing then yeah, perhaps. Your argument seems to revolve around misquoting people who said "decent" as them saying "great" to fit your agenda. There's millions like you all over the internet, I'll pass thanks. That will be all.

They haven't faced any team with the attacking threat of Valencia, Sevilla, Atletico Madrid and Ajax. Let's see where they are when they face teams of that caliber shall we?

You claimed they were some great attacking team, that's why I mentioned the point. Or will you try and deny you made the comment in bold?

JamDav1982

That's poor, even by your standards.....

Think you will find I stated a FACT that Leverkusen beat Sociedad, never once did I comment on how the game went as I only seen highlights. Try harder next time Jam.

Try harder?

You try and keep to one argument rather from rambling from one to the next. Changing the rules for whether your argument suits Barca or Bayern.

As I said earlier it is easy to be a 'supprter' that predicts failure.

DavidVillano1

Try harder?

You try and keep to one argument rather from rambling from one to the next. Changing the rules for whether your argument suits Barca or Bayern.

As I said earlier it is easy to be a 'supprter' that predicts failure.
My argument has been consistent throughout, I'm not the one with a complex against Bayern....

Maybe you should look in the mirror before accuses people of things, will no doubt see you at the end of the season bringing up that Bayern could have conceded more against City. :lol:

Anyway I'm out, no point wasting more time on people with a clear agenda....

big_man

They haven't faced any team with the attacking threat of Valencia, Sevilla, Atletico Madrid and Ajax. Let's see where they are when they face teams of that caliber shall we?

You claimed they were some great attacking team, that's why I mentioned the point. Or will you try and deny you made the comment in bold?

How on earth does that qualify as "great"? Where in that sentence did I say anything about great? and more importantly, why did you purposely ignore the sentence that immediately preceded the statement you quoted, you know the one where I specifically stated "decent teams"? This is why I avoid arguments with people like you.

You will do anything to "win" an argument on the internet, even if it involves manipulating quotes to fit your own agenda. Well, here's good news for you, You have officially "won" this argument because I won't continue to derail this thread with pointless arguments. Mods please delete any of my posts you deem as irrelevant as you see fit, apologies for derailing the thread.

JamDav1982

My argument has been consistent throughout, I'm not the one with a complex against Bayern....

Maybe you should look in the mirror before accuses people of things, will no doubt see you at the end of the season bringing up that Bayern could have conceded more against City. :lol:

Complex against Bayern? What on earth does that mean?

I have not said once anything against Bayern other than pointing out that the rules they are judged against are not the same as Barca from people like you.

You take the easy option to predict Bayern are the best and Barca are not good enough.

Its the easy option.

oz187

Bayern conceded 4 against Dortmund and 2 against Chelsea. They conceded against Man City who also hit the bar shortly after scoring(Bayern not being Superhuman do also concede some chances in addition to the goals they concede). They've drawn against Leverkusen and Freiburg because they conceded goals when it mattered. How is this better than Barca?

The 2 goals Barca conceded against Valencia and then against Sevilla were because of complacency and since then Tata instigated tactical changes. The result being 2 goals conceded in the last 6 games, 1 of which was a consolation goal from Sociedad who were 3-0 and being completely outplayed. Bayern are a great team, but so are Barca.

big_man

Bayern conceded 4 against Dortmund and 2 against Chelsea. They conceded against Man City who also hit the bar shortly after scoring(Bayern not being Superhuman do also concede some chances in addition to the goals they concede). They've drawn against Leverkusen and Freiburg because they conceded goals when it mattered. How is this better than Barca?

The 2 goals Barca conceded against Valencia and then against Sevilla were because of complacency and since then Tata instigated tactical changes. The result being 2 goals conceded in the last 6 games, 1 of which was a consolation goal from Sociedad who were 3-0 and being completely outplayed. Bayern are a great team, but so are Barca.

I agree complacency is part of it like I stated earlier, but I wouldn't even say its 100% complacency, because actually what is wrong with conceding excellent goals that the keeper or defence can do nothing about? What is the point of football as a competition if any goal you concede has to be down to your own incompetence as a defensive unit as opposed to the attacking quality of the opposition?

Valencia's first goal that gave them impetus when the game was dead and buried was a fantastic volley that no one could have done anything about.Pique had him covered for all but one possible route to goal out of a 100, and he scored with that one route. Sevilla and Atletico's 1st was also a well worked attack. That's pretty much half of the goals scored this season, the rest are from set pieces which we all agree needs improvement.

People expect multi-million pound professional teams to not be able to create (two or three half) chances against us, where the heck does that happen? well other than FIFA :lol:

I know it's easy to look at the past with rose tinted glasses but have people really forgot how, even during Pep's era, we could have left stamford bridge with a 4-1 loss considering how we were destroyed by counter attacking and (thankfully) Drogba missed all his sitters, or how Villareal, Inter, Bilbao, Atletico, Shaktar, created plenty of chances against us and we deservedly lost some, and were lucky to come out of those games with a draw ?

Last edited:

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Mentioning Valdes as an argument why our defense sucks is begging the question or circular logic. Saying our defense would have failed if we had had a worse goalkeeper than Valdes is not a valid argument, as you can't know whether the result would be the same in this case. For all we know, our defense could have played differently with a different keeper. Maybe the knowledge of having an absolute ace goalkeeper influences their play? Maybe Valdes not trusting our defense this season gives him extra motivation to enter beast mode? Not saying this is the case - just wanting to show how this is flawed logic and jumping to conclusions based on nothing.

Second, I don't get the point from excluding Valdes from our defense. What's the use of considering our defensive line seperately, what findings does this bring? You might collect some great statistics, come to whatever conclusion and express the quality of a defense in numbers (like those statistics that were posted), but what does this have to do with football? What does this say when obviously, the results speak a different language? Fact is, we have won all of our games with seven clean sheets. Bayern have six clean sheets. We have conceded 6 goals, Bayern 7, and I'm not even counting the two Supercup games, which would make it 7 and 11. Now you might still point out and be of the opinion that our defense sucks, but I don't see the point in that. And I don't think that this is how football works.

As for the comparison of our game against Gdansk and Bayern's game against Dortmund, we didn't have any of our usual startes except for Messi. Bayern were missing four players - Neuer, Ribery, Schweini and Martinez. So how those two games can be compared simply because they were both in July is beyond me. Also, why acting as if Bayern wouldn't have defensive problems if they played Dortmund now? Bayern are playing with a high line and Dortmund is probably the deadliest team on counters. Dortmund's system is ideal to counter theirs. They will clash soon, so we will see.

Regarding the argument that Bayern have faced stronger teams, I don't really think any of their oponents were stronger than Atletico. At least if we take Atletico's winning record (especially considering they defeated RM) as an indicator. So we conceded one goal in two games against them, while Bayern have conceded one to two goals in one game against several weaker oponents (M'Gladbach, Freiburg, Chelsea, Hannover, City, Leverkusen). Of course we conceded goals against weaker oponents as well, but Bayern's stronger oponents can not be an excuse for them, let alone an argument for why they are better, as it's simply not true.

And I don't see how those arguing that Bayern is not the best team defensively have a Bayern complex? How stupid. Then we might as well say that a lot of users on here have a pessimism/inferiority complex regarding Barca. Or say that it's the other way round as everything that Bayern does seems to get glorified. Before the Chelsea game, people on here were predicting "easy wins" of "3-0" or "4-0"; what happened was Chelsea leading 2-1 until the last minute. Still - no problem at all. Bayern of this season is not Bayern of last season. As much as Pep is a Barca idol, his system is not the most defensive one and has never been. If we talked about last season's Bayern, I'd agree their defense is better. But this is not the case.

And for the record, I don't know whether we have the best defense in Europe. Maybe not. It remains to be seen. But how many of you ridiculed Semi's opinion is what is really off the mark.

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma
Mentioning Valdes as an argument why our defense sucks is begging the question or circular logic. Saying our defense would have failed if we had had a worse goalkeeper than Valdes is not a valid argument, as you can't know whether the result would be the same in this case. For all we know, our defense could have played differently with a different keeper.Maybe the knowledge of having an absolute ace goalkeeper influences their play? Maybe Valdes not trusting our defense this season gives him extra motivation to enter beast mode? Not saying this is the case - just wanting to show how this is flawed logic and jumping to conclusions based on nothing.

Last season, Valdes was pretty poor by his standards, yet we had our poorest season defensively in years. Last year, our defence was poor, yet Valdes still had a poor season. It's not flawed logic, if anything your's is flawed logic.

There's goalkeeping, and then there's defending. Dani Alves cannot be excused for his nonchalance, or Adriano cannot be excused from his inability to play the offside trap, or Pique for his poor marking or balance, or for Barca as a team to be god awful at set pieces because Valdes is in the form of his life. And neither is Valdes playing really well because our defence sucked. 2-3 years ago, we had an awesome defence yet Valdes was excellent, perhaps the best goalkeeper in the world. And then there have been years where Valdes has been poor but our defence has been great. My point is they are not very correlated like you may think.

Second, I don't get the point from excluding Valdes from our defense. What's the use of considering our defensive line seperately, what findings does this bring? You might collect some great statistics, come to whatever conclusion and express the quality of a defense in numbers (like those statistics that were posted), but what does this have to do with football? What does this say when obviously, the results speak a different language? Fact is, we have won all of our games with seven clean sheets. Bayern have six clean sheets. We have conceded 6 goals, Bayern 7, and I'm not even counting the two Supercup games, which would make it 7 and 11. Now you might still point out and be of the opinion that our defense sucks, but I don't see the point in that. And I don't think that this is how football works.

Why don't you answer the very simple question that I posed and everyone ignored - would you say that Chelsea were amazing defensively in the CL ties vs Barca a couple of years ago? Or Sevilla vs us in Nov 2011 when Javi Varas played the game of his life?

Bayern have conceded 7 in 12 games while Barca have conceded 6 in 10, if you exclude the supercups (which I usually wouldn't, if the German Supercup were played after the first league match like in Spain this season, then of course I would've counted that too - it's not an excuse for Bayern, it's looking at things in context).

As for the comparison of our game against Gdansk and Bayern's game against Dortmund, we didn't have any of our usual startes except for Messi. Bayern were missing four players - Neuer, Ribery, Schweini and Martinez. So how those two games can be compared simply because they were both in July is beyond me. Also, why acting as if Bayern wouldn't have defensive problems if they played Dortmund now? Bayern are playing with a high line and Dortmund is probably the deadliest team on counters. Dortmund's system is ideal to counter theirs. They will clash soon, so we will see.

That was an ironic comparison and I said so as much. In July, all the teams are still in preseason mode, it doesn't matter if the fixture was "competitive friendly" or a friendly or whatever. FFS Bayern played more preseason tournaments right after the Supercup where Pep was still experimenting with his team.

I don't think anyone has said that Bayern wouldn't have problems against Dortmund if they played now, let alone me who as a huge Dortmund fan knows exactly what's going on in the team and what it's strength and weaknesses are. And maybe DavidVillano1 thinks Bayern are the best defensively atm (even then he seemed unsure and said 'probably'), but nobody here has said that Bayern are amazing defensively. Best atm =/= good.

Regarding the argument that Bayern have faced stronger teams, I don't really think any of their oponents were stronger than Atletico. At least if we take Atletico's winning record (especially considering they defeated RM) as an indicator. So we conceded one goal in two games against them, while Bayern have conceded one to two goals in one game against several weaker oponents (M'Gladbach, Freiburg, Chelsea, Hannover, City, Leverkusen). Of course we conceded goals against weaker oponents as well, but Bayern's stronger oponents can not be an excuse for them, let alone an argument for why they are better, as it's simply not true.

Nobody said Bayern have faced more difficult teams, they're comparable to whom Barca have faced. On the other hand, Bayern do not concede nearly as many basic and easy chances to the opposition as Barca do and you would know this and not argue pointlessly if you watched both teams play.

I don't see anything ridiculous about the reaction to Semi-Neutral's statement. Fact is he tried to show that Barca are best defensively using statistics and was proved wrong. It was an honest mistake and there's nothing wrong with that. But you can't really expect a Barca fan who watched all the games this season to really believe they've been the best in Europe defensively.

More ridiculous is people popping up calling others Bayern fanboys while failing to logic their way through their argument.

Home of Barca Fans