Cr150

Leo_Messi

Using the logic of some users here, Gerd Müller must be one of the GOAT contenders.

68 goals for West Germany in 62 games. 1 World Cup and 1 European Championship.

14 World Cup goals in 13 World Cup games. Only behind Ronaldo (15 goals in 19 games) and Klose (16 goals in 24 games). 1970 World Cup top scorer. EURO 1972 top scorer. All at the age of 28.

524 goals in 573 appearances for Bayern. 653 goals in 707 club appearances.

3 European Cup wins in a row. Being the top scorer in 2 of those European Cup seasons. Ballon d'Or winner.

C. Ronaldo being among the top 10 most influential footballers is a legitimate claim but to put him in the top 3 is outrageous with all due respect. There is much more to football than just scoring goals.

Individually he is not close to some of the all-time greats.

Trophy wise he is not in the top 5-10 either of most successful footballers (trophies alone) as well.

So I have a hard time understanding how anyone can have him in their top 3 of all-time greats.

Is it because he has scored over 2/3 of all his goals against pathetic national teams (cannon fodder) as I already demonstrated? Many of those goals being scored in friendlies.

As I wrote earlier, if Messi was facing such pathetic national teams regularly for 16 years, he would easily have scored 25 goals more. Even for dysfunctional Argentina teams with attackers much better than what Portugal has had. Meaning that almost all of the goals scored by Portugal have been scored by C. Ronaldo unlike Argentina where there were tons of great goal scorers in Messi's time for the national team.

Only Barca fans think this way. CR is comfortably top-3 of all time.

:lol:

C. Ronaldo is basically a slightly better (statistically not but individually) version of Gerd Müller, with a better club career but a worse international career, who happens to have played for the 3 most successful teams in the 3 biggest leagues (Man Utd, RM, Juventus). RM's CL wins (which is what he is known for, 2 league titles in 9 seasons speak another story from a supposed top 3 player of all-time) occurred not only due to C. Ronaldo but an incredibly well-oiled machine with some insane individual talent on all areas of the pitch that topped at the same time coupled with incredible luck as well.

Last edited:
@ te amo . I know lots of non-Barca fans and most don't have him in the top 3. To be top 3 you would have to put him above Messi, Maradona or R9. Which of the 3 would you omit to put him there? ( Can't even believe I am having to ask this on a non Real Madrid / Man Utd forum).

El Gato

Villarato!
Using the logic of some users here, Gerd Müller must be one of the GOAT contenders.

Good to know there can only ever be 3 contenders for a given title.

Never fails to make me smile how easily people find going to this GOAT conversation having witnessed maybe 30 years at most of a continuously evolving sport that existed for at least half a century. Comparisons across decades are so fun to read.

Leo_Messi

Never fails to make me smile how easily people find going to this GOAT conversation having witnessed maybe 30 years at most of a continuously evolving sport that existed for at least half a century. Comparisons across decades are so fun to read.

If you had bothered to quote the entire post and took a look at what I was replying to, I was replying to not only the "GOAT discussion" but likewise the claim of C. Ronaldo being a top 3 player of all-time.

This might be shocking for you, but people have their own GOATS in each generation. Prior to Pelé there were the likes of Di Stéfano (to this day you have people who swear that he is the greatest they have ever watched - at least the old RM generation in Spain) while before Di Stéfano you had the likes of Giuseppe Meazza, Arthur Friedenreich and tons of others.

@ te amo . I know lots of non-Barca fans and most don't have him in the top 3. To be top 3 you would have to put him above Messi, Maradona or R9. Which of the 3 would you omit to put him there? ( Can't even believe I am having to ask this on a non Real Madrid / Man Utd forum).

I think that the vast majority of all football fans who have followed football in the last 30-40 years (less as well) would never put him in their top 3. If I recall there was a poll on RedCafe (main Man Utd forum and one of the biggest English speaking football forums that I know of) about this topic and C. Ronaldo did not even make the top 5. That too on a Man Utd forum where he is worshipped like some kind of saint. Tells a lot.

Last edited:

Why can't you compare over decades? Surely the GOATS list should start with those who dominated their era's and were head and shoulders above their peers at the time. That's why in my GOAT list the top 5 are Messi, Maradona, R9, Pele, Di Stefano. In that order. All dominated their era's, conclusively.

El Gato

Villarato!
This might be shocking for you, but people have their own GOATS in each generation. Prior to Pelé there were the likes of Di Stéfano (to this day you have people who swear that he is the greatest they have ever watched - at least the old RM generation in Spain) while before Di Stéfano you had the likes of Giuseppe Meazza, Arthur Friedenreich and tons of others.

Not shocking to me at all. Greatest of ALL TIME in each generation? Clue is in the name my dude...

You would be right in saying it depends who you ask. Not what you said though is it?

serghei

Everyone is guilty of this to a point.

Leo_Messi

Not shocking to me at all. Greatest of ALL TIME in each generation? Clue is in the name my dude...

You would be right in saying it depends who you ask. Not what you said though is it?

Hence why I wrote that there should be different GOAT categories depending on individual talent, impact, success (number of titles won and personal records) as well as position on the pitch.

For instance how are you going to compare the legacy of players like Maldini, Baresi etc. with the likes of C. Ronaldo and Gerd Müller?

Or what about the likes of Xavi and Lothar Matthäus?

Or players who had an insanely high peak but a short one like Ronaldinho and pre-injury Ronaldo.

Or players who won tons of trophies, say Gento, Giggs, D. Alves to mention a few.

Lot's to take into account.

The point being is that most of the lot who rate C. Ronaldo as the GOAT here (not sure if they are trolling or serious) or list him in their top 3, do it due to the goals he has scored. The most famous feature of his. If goals is the most important criteria to determine who is a GOAT or in the contention of it, Gerd Müller and numerous other players should be in the discussion as well as they have even more impressive resumes. As does Messi for that matter despite being 2 years younger and having played significantly fewer games in his football career for club and country.

As for players that I have watched in my lifetime, C. Ronaldo is obviously in the top 3 for me when it comes to offensive players but I find it unbelievable hard to believe that he is superior to some of the widely regarded all-time greats.

All-time greats are mostly judged by individual talent and brilliance. Hence why Di Stéfano is regarded as the all-time great in his generation (1950's) despite Gento winning many more trophies for RM as well as having won the European Championship for Spain while Di Stéfano famously never even played in a World Cup.

Similar with Cruyff vs Gerd Müller.

If that is the barometer, C. Ronaldo does not belong in the top 3 by any stretch of the imagination with all due respect.

Anyway it is a silly discussion as legacies change over time and none of C. Ronaldo or Messi for that matter have ended their careers so the last chapter in their books have not been written yet.

Last edited:

Tackle

Most coaches, players, former players, pundits, football institutions and respected football publications would place Cristiano comfortably in the top 5. Most fans have also recognized this.

Guess everybody except you "chosen" lot have fallen for the hype and PR machine.

Only a small sect of insecure, petty Barca fans continue to laughably argue CR barely belongs in the top 10 and he is nothing more than another Muller or Inzaghi.

These are the same daft twats that kept arguing Ronaldo was not the most important player on Madrid's CL winning teams because all he did was score tap-ins that any other finisher could do. Modric, Marcelo, Kroos and Carvajal deserved most of the credit for the titles as they created all chances. I cannot tell you how many times I heard even with CR off the team Madrid would have still won most of their CLs. Well, we saw the truth last season.

Now these same blokes expect us to take their word that Ronaldo is only scores because his teammates give him easy tap-ins and how lucky he's been his entire career. Right.

Take the tin-foil hats off and concede you are not privy to any sort of knowledge that the rest of the football world isn't.

Few reason why you lot refuse to judge CR objectively:

1. Messi
2. Former Madrid player
3. His personality/ego
4. Cruyffista that appreciates everything that comes before the goal more
5. Plastic fan circa. 2008 or not knowledgeable enough to understand everything that goes into creating a "tap-in"
6. Appreciates style and jaw-dropping flashy moments over simplicity and monotony

Chances are you fall under one of the boxes above if you're still parroting "CR is barely in the top 10."

After Messi I cannot think of maybe more than one or two other players I would take to build a team around over Cristiano. Many of the more talented players didn't have the longevity, consistency, heath or the same level of impact on the outcome of the match.

Leo_Messi

Most coaches, players, former players, pundits, football institutions and respected football publications would place Cristiano comfortably in the top 5. Most fans have also recognized this.

Guess everybody except you "chosen" lot have fallen for the hype and PR machine.

Only a small sect of insecure, petty Barca fans continue to laughably argue CR barely belongs in the top 10 and he is nothing more than another Muller or Inzaghi.

These are the same daft twats that kept arguing Ronaldo was not the most important player on Madrid's CL winning teams because all he did was score tap-ins that any other finisher could do. Modric, Marcelo, Kroos and Carvajal deserved most of the credit for the titles as they created all chances. I cannot tell you how many times I heard even with CR off the team Madrid would have still won most of their CLs. Well, we saw the truth last season.

Now these same blokes expect us to take their word that Ronaldo is only scores because his teammates give him easy tap-ins and how lucky he's been his entire career. Right.

Take the tin-foil hats off and concede you are not privy to any sort of knowledge that the rest of the football world isn't.

Few reason why you lot refuse to judge CR objectively:

1. Messi
2. Former Madrid player
3. His personality/ego
4. Cruyffista that appreciates everything that comes before the goal more
5. Plastic fan circa. 2008 or not knowledgeable enough to understand everything that goes into creating a "tap-in"
6. Appreciates style and jaw-dropping flashy moments over simplicity and monotony

Chances are you fall under one of the boxes above if you're still parroting "CR is barely in the top 10."

After Messi I cannot think of maybe more than one or two other players I would take to build a team around over Cristiano. Many of the more talented players didn't have the longevity, consistency, heath or the same level of impact on the outcome of the match.

One can only laugh at such a cringeworthy post.

You put forward a lot of nonsense claims that nobody uttered in this thread later to "pick those claims that you invented apart" by bombastic claims boiled down to RM's teams between 2014-2018 being scrubs (lol) and C. Ronaldo doing all the work. That and since RM did not win a fourth CL in a row, it must mean that this occurred only due to C. Ronaldo leaving while it was literally a combination of an entire generation no longer being what they were and tons of other causes. No word about how lucky RM were in some of those CL campaigns either.

Where was that genius/success in his first 4 seasons at RM where he was better individually? Obviously the answer is that RM was half the team that they later developed into but let us omit that. Or the 2 leagues titles in 9 seasons for the GOAT.

You are by no means one of those fanboys of his who are proclaiming that Juve won the scudetto due to C. Ronaldo, are you?:lol:

Reminds me of the same lot who claim that it was all Messi during the Pep era when nothing could be more wrong.

If C. Ronaldo is comfortably in the top 5 of all-time without any discussion whatsoever, how come he did not end up in the top 3 on RedCafe (main Man Utd forum on the internet and arguably the largest football forum as well), a forum, where he is worshipped like another saint?

Clearly you did not read my latest post either before writing that sorry excuse of a post.

BTW are you not the troll that constantly keeps defending Malmierda and our useless board? The guy that half of the forum calls a paid troll?

Now with another "brilliant" post.

Hence why I wrote that there should be different GOAT categories depending on individual talent, impact, success (number of titles won and personal records) as well as position on the pitch.

For instance how are you going to compare the legacy of players like Maldini, Baresi etc. with the likes of C. Ronaldo and Gerd Müller?

Or what about the likes of Xavi and Lothar Matthäus?

Or players who had an insanely high peak but a short one like Ronaldinho and pre-injury Ronaldo.

Or players who won tons of trophies, say Gento, Giggs, D. Alves to mention a few.

Lot's to take into account.

The point being is that most of the lot who rate C. Ronaldo as the GOAT here (not sure if they are trolling or serious) or list him in their top 3, do it due to the goals he has scored. The most famous feature of his. If goals is the most important criteria to determine who is a GOAT or in the contention of it, Gerd Müller and numerous other players should be in the discussion as well as they have even more impressive resumes. As does Messi for that matter despite being 2 years younger and having played significantly fewer games in his football career for club and country.

As for players that I have watched in my lifetime, C. Ronaldo is obviously in the top 3 for me when it comes to offensive players but I find it unbelievable hard to believe that he is superior to some of the widely regarded all-time greats.

All-time greats are mostly judged by individual talent and brilliance. Hence why Di Stéfano is regarded as the all-time great in his generation (1950's) despite Gento winning many more trophies for RM as well as having won the European Championship for Spain while Di Stéfano famously never even played in a World Cup.

Similar with Cruyff vs Gerd Müller.

If that is the barometer, C. Ronaldo does not belong in the top 3 by any stretch of the imagination with all due respect.

Anyway it is a silly discussion as legacies change over time and none of C. Ronaldo or Messi for that matter have ended their careers so the last chapter in their books have not been written yet.

Anyway ending it here. Waste of time.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans