Copa | Semi-final 2nd leg: FC Barcelona - Atlético de Madrid 1-1 (3-2 agg.)

LeeRomeno

I think the turning point was Roberto's red card. With Vidal sub him 1 minute earlier and I think we could score
2nd goal. We were in full control of the game between 35 minute to Roberto's red card!

Yup, felt like it as well, last 10 mins of first half and right up until Robertos card we were doing fine. Then Atletico got hope again and we panicked.

Messi983

but the actual goal was offside. Both Red Cards (SR and Suarez) were undeserved.

Where did you see offside in their goal?

About RCs: we could argue about Suarez's but Roberto's was totally deserved. He could've (and perhaps should've) seen red even before that.

TrueCule

This might sound harsh, and it is said in the heat of the moment, but it needs to be said...pathetic from us, truly pathetic. Excluding the last 10 minutes of the 1st half here, while at the same time emphasizing the last 10 minutes of the whole match. This team doesn't deserve Messi to extend his contract. I can't believe i was kinda hoping for a 2nd Atletico goal and their advancement, because now this game will quickly be forgotten...and it shouldn't be. It really shouldn't be. This was embarassing, in the last 5 minutes we looked like Osasuna or Leganes defending a point against the mighty Atletico...that's how far we've come.

This is truly one of the lowest points i've seen this club to be in terms of game style in the last 17 years that i've been a Cule for. And they said anyone could coach Barca...yeah sure. We've come from dominating every team in the world and winning Bayern 4-0 and Atletico 5-0 to practically parking the bus against a team, who's more known for its defensive qualities than attacking, all this in less than 5 years.
Don't be so hard on them, we will improve, you'll see. ;) It's true that we're playing bad football atm, but things won't be the same like this forever. Hopefuly Lucho will learn from his mistakes and make the necessary adjustment needed to improve our game. Have faith in the team! Even if is the our lowest point, the team needs our absolute support.

Last edited:

gregorrin10

Don't be so hard on them, we will improve, you'll see. ;) It's true that we're playing bad football atm, but things won't be the same like this forever. Hopefuly Lucho will learn from his mistakes and make the necessary adjustment needed to improve our game. Have faith in the team!

I know, but tonight they really pissed me off, especially in the last 5 minutes, with parking the bus. With all of this said, of course i will never give up on this club, but i truly hope things get better quickly. A lot better. Cause Messi deserves more. We the fans deserve more. That said, i say congrats to the team for (undeservingly) making it to the final, and I think we're very close to at least 1 trophy this season. :barcascarf:

Last edited:

Mitchell1978

If you look back on both games, we played very well in the first half of the first leg but after that Atletico were the better team.

Altomonte

If you look back on both games, we played very well in the first half of the first leg but after that Atletico were the better team.

We played well the last 15 minutes of the first half and until Sergio Roberto got his Red Card. Maybe Lucho is trying to test our defense by inviting opposition to attack?
As to the referee, I think Spain really needs to train them better. Spain has the best teams, but not good enough referees.
A few positives from this game:
1. We have a very good backup goalkeeper
2. Umtiti is turning into a strong asset
3. Gomes is finally showing signs of offensive creativity

I am not giving up on the Champions League, let's see how we are doing against PSG.

iniesta_8

Both red cards against SR and Suarez were mainly given because of acting of athletico-players by a stupid ref.. but shouldnt be an excuse for a weak performence..

vlad

I know, but tonight they really pissed me off, especially in the last 5 minutes, with parking the bus. With all of this said, of course i will never give up on this club, but i truly hope things get better quickly. A lot better. Cause Messi deserves more. We the fans deserve more. That said, i say congrats to the team for (undeservingly) making it to the final, and I think we're very close to at least 1 trophy this season. :barcascarf:

why undeservingly? barca scored more goals and they go through, atletico scored they first gol in madrid which should not be alowed, now their goal was disallowed incorrectly, thats it.

Ronaldinh0

The lack of quality depth is hurting this teams so much. Luis Enrique's rotation policy needs to be looked at more closely. His over reliance on MSN is detrimental to squad confidence, he needs to have the balls to substitute when necessary all over the pitch, nobody should be guaranteed a spot.

Ter Stegen/Cilessen - Both great keepers but Cilessen has impressed with his distribution.

Vidal needs to start over Roberto (right back is just not his natural position)
Pique
Umtiti
Alba

Rakitic
Busquets
Iniesta

Messi
Suarez
Neymar

That should be the starting eleven when everybody is fit. But Enrique should not fear backlash if he drops/subs somebody due to form/stature. Today's game went the way it did because of a completely make shift midfield and Arda who does not get a consistent run-out to build confidence with team-mates. We were dominated because their full-backs were not confined in their own third due to the nature of the formation and personnel on the pitch. At the end of the season, unless we re-invest majorly in midfield again, we will struggle even more the following season. Enrique just does not seem like he has any ideas that he can instill in this squad to freshen thing up. That treble season can be classed as the year the team switched style to a more direct counter attacking style, which worked wonders, the rotation policy was helpful too in order to keep the squad fit for the second half of the season. In that second half he settled on a eleven and stuck with it. Since then I can not point at anything tactically that has been brought forth by the manager that made me go "Ok, I see where he is coming from with this signing or formation change or substitution". And this lack of ideas will end up hurting the team's chances because unless MSN can pull out of the flame, a team will come along that completely overwhelm us take their chances. Atletico did overwhelm us today, they just didn't take their chances.

Altomonte

I just watched the game again.
It is clear that a big part of Simeone's tactics against Barça is to get the referee award more fouls and YC's to Barça thant to Atletico.
How can that be done?
Given that Barça almost NEVER commits more fouls than the opposition, the only way is to
- have a biased referee
- instruct players to 'playact' whenever there is an opportunity

Felipe Luis, known to frequently behave badly, was executing this strategy to perfection.
When Sergio Roberto kicked the ball with his (admittedly) elevated foot, he did not even touch Felipe Luis. However, FL fell down and acted like his knee had been kicked. He probably expressed his 'pain' verbally as well.
The referee promptly handed out the red card.
Similarly, Suarez barely touched his defender, but playacting convinced the referee.
We can only be grateful that Messi was able to avoid any such situation.
It's a disgrace.

Home of Barca Fans