Claudio Bravo

zanela

At the same time a Keeper can't attain consistency without regular game time.

I don't think it's as straight-forward or definitive in our keeper's case to be saying X > Y, as both had to work under diff variables/situations. The only way to find out who comes on top is by reversing their roles next season. That would offer an extended and a level playing sample.

serghei

Bravo is on the back of an amazing season, best keeper in the league as of current. You can't really bench him and preach that you are fair with the players afterwards. Benching Bravo will only make Lucho a grade A hypocrite. Bench him for what? To penalize someone he must do something wrong first. Ter Stegen must be there when Bravo screws up/gets injured and take his place by performing at a high level. That is the only way for a top club.

zanela

Just saying it's wrong to be claiming one keeper is currently better than the other, when one keeper has the bigger piece of the pie. It's an unfair comparison. I don't think ppl really acknowledge how difficult it is for a young guy to be playing in the biggest of games without match rhythm, and still expected to perform at a top level. And then when he makes errors, which he will, given his inexperience and the situation he's put under, there will be some posters who will be quick to denounce him without looking at the bigger picture. And I bet this aggravates even further in to the second season if the keeper situation remains status quo. For a 23y.o keeper to not be playing regularly second season in succession is stalling his development and inviting more errors in to his game.
I'm sure Bravo at his age would like to be playing CL. And I don't think there is any hypocrisy involved for both keepers to be given equal opportunities. If Bravo is really the better keeper as some claim, he should 've no probs delivering in a more challenging and restricted set-up. Not sure what the big deal is.
And no, the keeper rotation is not the only way for a top club. Infact it's an anomaly. Just because it worked once, doesn't means it's gonna work always. Most top clubs choose to focus and develop the younger and talented keeper over a vet. Case in point Chelsea. Čech still a gr8 keeper, a chelsea legend who was golden gloves the prev. season was benched for a younger keeper in Courtois. Top clubs must make tough choices in the long-term interests of the club.

serghei

The comparison is not valid. Cech has been Chelsea's goalkeeper for a long, long time, more than a decade actually. We on the other hand just bough Bravo and when we bought him I bet we didn't tell him he's gonna be Ter Stegen's back up no matter what, we told him whoever is better at the time will play most games. Last season it was Bravo, so he got to play most games. Stegen also got more than 20 games, it's not like he played 4-5 games and that was it. He got to win two titles with the team -- and one of them the shinny CL. I don't see what the big deal is, other that we have several die hard Stegen fans here probably that want poor Bravo benched at all costs, which is not only unfair, but very disrespectful to a very nice person and a leader like Claudio Bravo. What does Ter Stegen wants? To be a definite starter because he's younger? No mate. Earn it.

anguy

I don't think either keeper is better than other. They are both roughly equal IMO. Bravo makes less mistakes, but TS has better distribution. Anyway if TS wasn't injured at the end of last summer, he'd have been no 1 now.

Zangash

Banned
No keeper is definitively better, but Bravo is a solid 9 years older. Do we want a keeper who is a 7/10 who will be an 8/10 at max until he declines, or do we want a keeper who is a 7/10 who can grow to be a 9/10 or even a 10/10 by the time he declines?

Seems fairly obvious to me. It might not be "fair" to Bravo, but it's better for the club long term. It's not like the club gives a flying fuck about being fair to the players, anyways. Abidal, Alves, Deulofeu, Pedro, etc. have all received far worse treatment than that in just the past few seasons alone.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Bravo played almost twice the amount of minutes and he did so week in and week out where as ter Stegen had his minutes spread out until the final stage of the season. It's not a fair comparison because any keeper need consistency and Bravo got it last season.

You talk about earning it and needing consistency, but there is no way he can earn it or gain any consistency if he is challenging someone who plays much more than him and regularly. And keep in mind that we won the Cup and CL last season so Marc played much less despite of playing the max amount of games he could play.

Not a fair comparison.

Last edited:

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
No keeper is definitively better, but Bravo is a solid 9 years older. Do we want a keeper who is a 7/10 who will be an 8/10 at max until he declines, or do we want a keeper who is a 7/10 who can grow to be a 9/10 or even a 10/10 by the time he declines?

Seems fairly obvious to me. It might not be "fair" to Bravo, but it's better for the club long term...

I think that is the best option. Bravo played a huge part in our La Liga campaign and I am glad we bought him but next season I would play him only in Copa. MAtS has a really high ceiling and is the future of this club. Bravo was more of a short term solution imo and to have an insurance if ter Stegen has problems to settle down in Spain.

Home of Barca Fans