CL semis: Bayern - Barca 3-2 (3-5 agg.)

JackaL

Back then I once stated that under Tito we never looked tactically superior. Rather it was the individual effort and quality of our players that made the difference for almost every game. In fact, the clasicos in Tito's era showed that very clearly, Real Madrid knew how to stop us (after years of trial & error), yet we had not found a new way to surprise our opponents. Bayern trashed us there, a team on form could have made a difference, but they outplayed and outsmarted us tactically. In addition, Tito kinda never rotated players and naturally they were super tired at the end of that long season.

I hope it will be different today, we do not only have Messi, but Neymar and Suarez. Our team is on form, there is much more hunger (Suarez, Neymar, Rakitic, Bravo, Stegen) as we have fresh players that want to play in a CL final.

Can't really study at the moment as I am always distracted by the game. Hope we'll win!

Last edited:

DrPepper

I found extended highlights from the first match in Munchen (when we thought that the tie is 50:50):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hacVRzMUk1c
(Take a look for a few minutes, guys)

Biggest difference between the Barcelona of now and the Barca of Tito is the lack of counterpressing back then. Just look at everytime we lose the ball, there's only one player attacking the ball carrier (mostly the one closest to the ball) while the others are just standing there or trying to run back. Compare it to now where our pressing is much more collectively organised and everyone's willing to fight for the ball. Huge difference and is - aside from our much improved defensive set piece organisation - a big reason why we're very stable defensively this season.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Squad (vs Bayern): Rakitic, Xavi, Iniesta, Rafinha, Pedro, Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Ter Stegen, Bravo, Alves, Pique, Bartra, Mascherano, Vermaelen, Adriano, Alba, Busquets.

Guess who is in the squad for the first time this season:rockon:

BBZ8800

All true up till the part where people thought Barca could still go trough after the 4-0, there was no Milan comeback possible back then for anyone thinking realistically.

Ok.
But I don't like the fact that lots of fans are now changing the past, and saying how we knew that we will lose back then...

For example, an interesting read in a build up for the match:
Iniesta's topic from 23rd April 2013, after the 1st leg:
http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/34-8-Andrés-Iniesta/page475

Xavi's thread after the match:
http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/33-6-Xavi-Hernández/page374

Busi's topic:
http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/13-5-Sergio-Busquets/page380

Alexis topic:
http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/10075-Alexis-Sanchez/page147

Alves topic:
http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/10-22-Daniel-Alves/page266

Alik

Sorry BBZ8800, but the situations are not at all the same. Your pessimism for this game based on 2013 makes no sense.

Perhaps people were confident in that game, but they were wrongly so. But it's natural. We were still having trouble believing that we were no longer the best team in the world (Pep had only left the previous season and even his last season wasn't really successful) and we thought we could just continue off past success.

But the truth is that we struggled to go through Milan and PSG. And even though we were destroying teams in La Liga, was because we relied almost 100% on Messi, who was on his best ever form. Problem is - he got injured, got rushed back, and never fully recovered for months.

Now we're playing well as a team, have never lost an important match against a big opponent, and more importantly we're fully fit, on good form.

For the situation to be more comparable to 2013:

1. MSN (instead of just Messi) would have had to be recently injured and be doubts for the game.
2. Lucho would have had to be missing for the majority of the season.
3. Our team's mentality would have been different.
4. Bayern would have to be significantly stronger and fully fit.

This will be a completely different match. With different managers, different players, and different tactics.

PS: Doesn't mean we'll win though.

Kohe321

I just don't see how this is relevant at all, we're playing very differently now compared to how we played in 2013, and the situation between the two teams is also completely different.

Come on, there are better ways to spend your time in the last hours before the game than nail-biting over our result from 2013. I don't get this pessimism at all.

killerqueen

Today we have all chances to beat Bayern. Ribery, Robben, Alaba, Badstuber are out of the squad, masked Lewandowski can not do all job on a pitch. Pep has to let Lewandowski play, because he does not have any other solution for this game

BBZ8800

Sorry BBZ8800, but the situations are not at all the same. Your pessimism for this game based on 2013 makes no sense.

Perhaps people were confident in that game, but they were wrongly so. But it's natural. We were still having trouble believing that we were no longer the best team in the world (Pep had only left the previous season and even his last season wasn't really successful) and we thought we could just continue off past success.

But the truth is that we struggled to go through Milan and PSG. And even though we were destroying teams in La Liga, was because we relied almost 100% on Messi, who was on his best ever form. Problem is - he got injured, got rushed back, and never fully recovered for months.

Now we're playing well as a team, have never lost an important match against a big opponent, and more importantly we're fully fit, on good form.

For the situation to be more comparable to 2013:

1. MSN (instead of just Messi) would have had to be recently injured and be doubts for the game.
2. Lucho would have had to be missing for the majority of the season.
3. Our team's mentality would have been different.
4. Bayern would have to be significantly stronger and fully fit.

This will be a completely different match. With different managers, different players, and different tactics.

PS: Doesn't mean we'll win though.

I am more confident in the last few days and I think we can go through.
But always, that is just my opinion, no matter is it 1900, 2000 or 2100', the only team I don't want to face is Bayern.
I just think that they are the team who suits us the least out of all teams in the world.
And yes, I know, teams change, players change, coaches change, but some basics (like Barca's DNA, as we like to say), well, Bayern has it's DNA, and their DNA is just the DNA who fits us worst out of all teams in the world.

I would pick to play against Real any day of the week instead against Bayern.

But luckily, they have injuries now, and we are in insane run of wins.
But still, even if we will win, when we will be in the semifinals in 2016, 2017 or 2018, my opinion will just always be: give us any opponent except Bayern.

That doesn't mean that I think that Bayern is better Barca in general, don't get me wrong.
I think that if we face top 10 teams like Bayern, Real, Chelsea, Man. City etc:
= we will usually win 8 matches, and struggle against Bayern and some random opponent

While Bayern will have 6 wins and struggle/lose against 4 random teams out of top10.

In other words:
1. Barca can win against Real
2. Barca can win against Chelsea
3. but Barca will struggle/lose against Bayern more often than win
And then, even though Bayern will usually knock us out, they will on the other hand struggle against Real, Chelsea, xx random teams

(Again, this written above are NOT stats/facts. This is just how I am looking at Barca:Bayern matches and why I hate when we have to play against them).

About my other post, I am saying that people were much more optimistic in 2013, and after the matches they were suddenly: wtf happened?
Now, 2 years later, the story sounds as if we knew that we are crap and that we will lose.
This is not true. We were very, very optimistic before the first kick-off in 2013 as you can see by a surprise of our fans in comments in player's threads after the first match in 2013. (We are now "changing" the history again, a few years later. Revisionism mentioned a lot of times lately on this forum)

Last edited:
G

Gasgas

Squad (vs Bayern): Rakitic, Xavi, Iniesta, Rafinha, Pedro, Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Ter Stegen, Bravo, Alves, Pique, Bartra, Mascherano, Vermaelen, Adriano, Alba, Busquets.

Guess who is in the squad for the first time this season:rockon:

Vermaelen :w000t:

NotInHere

Bayern is a whole different animal compared to the previous teams we have faced, as a whole I would say they work better as a team and that frightens me because no matter what you say we have been dependent on MSN for almost all of our success.

50/50 series, I just want Barca to play good and not be outmatched like in 2013(but like many of you say its a different scenario now) but damn the old series brings painful memories

BBZ8800

This doesn't matter at all, you are purposefully assuming that our team is the same, which is absolutely not the case.

Optimism is the same, and that's normal, we are BARCA fans bbz, but if even you, with your stats expertise can't see that we are MUCH better on so many aspects of the game than 2013 barça .. I think you are again, on purpose going on a quest to infect us with pessimism just to go against the natural flow of the forum and create controversy.

So ok, you win, I'm sold, Neymar is gonna be horrible, hopefully Bayern doesn't score more than 5 on us at the Camp Nou :(

I never post pessimistic posts when we play against Psg, Man city, Real, Atletico, anyone.
Because they are crap, and imo, they are our bitches, we are always favorites against them.

I just don't like when we have to play against Bayern.
Luckily, we are in an awesome form, plus they have a lot of injuries, so even I (who hate when we need to face Bayern, ever) would say that it is around 60:40 for us currently.

About Ney, lol, when was the last time I mentioned it?
In fact, tonight I believe more in Neymar and Sukki than in Messi.
I have a feeling that if someone will score, that will be Ney and Sukki.

Messi has some issue with Germans and they somehow know how to neutralize him.
Plus, he never scored against Neuer.
Ok, history doesn't matter too much for many fans, but I can't totally forget about hose facts.

So, I am not trashing Ney tonight, lol.
My money is actually on him and Sukki.
And some random scorer, like Rakitic.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans