CL Quarter Finals: Roma - Barca (4-4 agg.)

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Don’t want to go to their sold out stadium in a country where we have struggled a lot in the past with a bad result. Need a big win at home. Messi will be responsible in making that happen. Which isn’t anything shocking or new, but what is shocking is Suarez not scoring for well over a year in the CL.

eaman

Easy peasy win... 3:0 as a house. In case some thug does not hurt some key player or some idiot gets a red card.

I'm guessing you're not a guy who believes in jinxing or all the superstition kind of things. Unless you're on the field you shouldn't be so confident

JerseyAddict

I'm guessing you're not a guy who believes in jinxing or all the superstition kind of things. Unless you're on the field you shouldn't be so confident

No jinx... It is either fuck up or not. I don't believe some evil power made Terry slip on prnalty or Gerrard on that last march.
Higuain wasn't jinxed every final to miss a sitter

I am cobfident in Barça on the pure statistics. Look how Barça is standing and how is Roma. Plus Barça has Messi. If someone doesn't fu big time (ie Džeko left all alone on a header at 6m) Barça could get nice advantage in first match

Last edited:

serghei

Not sure what you mean. I'm just saying were not the attacking force we used to be. The same kind of attacking force that put 6 past Roma a few years ago.

I agree, but it's not really about the score, but about the chances being created. You see, against Chelsea we had games in the past were we created 4 times more chances than this time around, but this time around we scored 4 goals. Some of the goals we scored weren't even good chances, and some were basically us speculating their errors.

At the end of the day, Valverde's plan is to defend tight, and make the most of the clearly fewer chances we create than in the past, with our extraordinary attacking players, especially Messi. This side is the most dependent on him that's for sure, more than any other before. This is a double edged sword imo. Very hard to win the CL playing like this. You have to be defensively good, and take your chances with extreme ruthlessness. If Messi is shut down and the defense gives goals away, we're in deep trouble.

We will create 4 or 5 very good chances vs Roma at home. If we score most of those and we defend well, we can trash Roma without dominating them like one of the Barcas of the past would have done. This is what has been changed, we attack with fewer men, defend more, but have managed to keep a high scoring frequency by being more ruthless and converting chances into goals easier.

Last edited:

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
I agree, but it's not really about the score, but about the chances being created. You see, against Chelsea we had games in the past were we created 4 times more chances than this time around, but this time around we scored 4 goals. Some of the goals we scored weren't even good chances, and some were basically us speculating their errors.

At the end of the day, Valverde's plan is to defend tight, and make the most of the clearly fewer chances we create than in the past, with our extraordinary attacking players, especially Messi. This side is the most dependent on him that's for sure, more than any other before. This is a double edged sword imo. Very hard to win the CL playing like this. You have to be defensively good, and take your chances with extreme ruthlessness. If Messi is shut down and the defense gives goals away, we're in deep trouble.

We will create 4 or 5 very good chances vs Roma at home. If we score most of those and we defend well, we can trash Roma without dominating them like one of the Barcas of the past would have done. This is what has been changed, we attack with fewer men, defend more, but have managed to keep a high scoring frequency by being more ruthless and converting chances into goals easier.

I think this is exactly how we can win CL, with good defence and running all attacks through Messi. And for our opponents it is way harder to shut Messi down this season for 2 reasons. Firstly, because of Neymar's departure now Messi is having even more time on the ball and taking even more shots. Secondly, because defenders still need to worry about Suarez and Dembele. And remember how our passing map looked under Lucho in the last 2 seasons - it was all concentrated in one area on the left and through the center and right side was empty so defenders knew exactly where to wait for attacks, but know it's more balanced, you have Suarez moving all over the place from the left and Dembele from the right.

Last edited:

vlad

Don’t want to go to their sold out stadium in a country where we have struggled a lot in the past with a bad result. Need a big win at home. Messi will be responsible in making that happen. Which isn’t anything shocking or new, but what is shocking is Suarez not scoring for well over a year in the CL.

Roma is not typical italian team, they cant play strong defensive football as other italian teams, and im not saying barca will win easily, because barca right now doesnt look convincing, but roma was easiest draw at this stage, and CL semis are looking easier to reach

serghei

Roma is not typical italian team, they cant play strong defensive football as other italian teams, and im not saying barca will win easily, because barca right now doesnt look convincing, but roma was easiest draw at this stage, and CL semis are looking easier to reach

i think Sevilla was the only easier team than Roma. Bayern had the easiest draw possible, then us. Madrid and City got the bad draws, although they are surely favorites to go through.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Players were exhausted but at least we're not playing on Tuesday.

Think Valverde will be extra careful not to concede so don't expect s blowout. 2-0 would be very satisfactory.

FCBfan22

I'm not so worried about lackluster attacking performance against Sevilla (Suarez-Messi-Dembele will sort the things out, I believe), than I'm about our shocking defending. We need to raise that level and not conciede on Wednsday.

Joan

I just hope we go back to our solid 442. Been playing it whole season and now it is supposed to change.
If Dembele is to play, he musn't be that lazy again.

Home of Barca Fans