CL Quarter Finals: Roma - Barca (4-4 agg.)

vlad

distance covered by 8 teams in QF

Juventus 120 km
Liverpool 115 km
Bayern 113 km
Sevillia 113 km
Real 111 km
City 110 km
Rome 108 km

Barca 102 km

There has to be some radical changes in the team from next season, every season is the same when they go out in CL QF, no matter who is the coach, they are lazy, barca are starting to look like arsenal in CL.

Cule4life

The Culest
People used to say Ronaldo is hard working and we used to rubbish it saying that everybody works hard including Messi. Oh how the chickens are coming home to roost....

vlad

thats fucking shocking.. were at a point now where Messi can no longer be in walking mode if we want to win anything next season. really starting to piss me off how limp wristed our players are.

Messi should never be in walking mode, argument how he is resting in that way is bullshit i say, but thats just my opinion

When he started to walk he started underperforming in CL, then 2015 season, he was all over the pitch, barca won triplete

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Distance covered is the most overrated statistics ever in football... it shows nothing, nothing!

It's fairly accurate because other teams that try to play a possession based style of play and often face teams defending deep against them in Bayern and Man City cover more distance. Why? Because they move a lot more to find options, receive the ball, open up space for others.

Barca play a possession based football where almost every player stand still and wait for something to happen.

In that sense it's not overrated at all. Just shows you the truth, and that is that this team got huge issues, and not only this year, but ever since it won the treble.

Viscanou

I really miss the old days... Since Ronaldinho it was great to see barça play every week. After Guardiola it’s not the same. Since LE the rollercoaster of performance beetween good team play and bad became much common. With Valverde i only saw great football against Real.
I really would like to see Bielsa coming to Barça. I really miss great football without a coach being afraid to loose.

JackaL

It's fairly accurate because other teams that try to play a possession based style of play and often face teams defending deep against them in Bayern and Man City cover more distance. Why? Because they move a lot more to find options, receive the ball, open up space for others.

Barca play a possession based football where almost every player stand still and wait for something to happen.

In that sense it's not overrated at all. Just shows you the truth, and that is that this team got huge issues, and not only this year, but ever since it won the treble.

Again, running statistics show nothing... You can list them all day, before you run some more sophisticated analysis with it, there is no conclusion to be made because of running statistics. People get crazy about it because it's there only proxy to see whether a team puts "effort" or not, but it's a bad measure of effort anyway. Even if you might have some right conclusions, the running statistics won't prove anything with rigorous analysis.

If you follow data analysts in football, you will see they have consensus on this. See here: https://statsbomb.com/2016/10/xcommentary/

"Instead we get “distance run” stats, which to my knowledge have never been proven as relevant to anything in football other than telling us who happened to run further in a match. Which must be interesting for reasons that are completely unknown to me, because I have always been the type of person who wanted to figure out how to get the best results from the least amount of work, not the other way around."

This is just one source. In my own research I see this very often, running statistics show nothing.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It is day 3 after the day of infamy. I am still deeply depressed, unconsciously sighing all the time, had not slept well and eaten well (been indulging in some junks) and literally got more grey hair than before. Zero interest in football, deleted all my football related apps, lack of interest in other things too. At work I had been better since work distracted me from the pain pretty well but when I was off work it was quite bad. Only playing with my son and my dog relieved me a bit but just temporarily. Every time I thought of that game on Tuesday I literally wanted to throw up. How much do I want to get my time back to before Tuesday. I am still waiting for time and something else to heal me.

How are you guys holding up? Any advice?

JerseyAddict

I am also depressed. But my son had a Bday and I got him small Barça kit so that helped a lot.

I can't see what to expect from rest of the season but I keep thinking Barça can pull unbeaten season. That keeps me motivated.

Hell, after Supercopa most of fans expected nothin. We can have a Double still.

eaman

It is day 3 after the day of infamy. I am still deeply depressed, unconsciously sighing all the time, had not slept well and eaten well (been indulging in some junks) and literally got more grey hair than before. Zero interest in football, deleted all my football related apps, lack of interest in other things too. At work I had been better since work distracted me from the pain pretty well but when I was off work it was quite bad. Only playing with my son and my dog relieved me a bit but just temporarily. Every time I thought of that game on Tuesday I literally wanted to throw up. How much do I want to get my time back to before Tuesday. I am still waiting for time and something else to heal me.

How are you guys holding up? Any advice?

No just give it time. Maybe a good win over real will completely clear it. I personally find this loss the hardest to get over seen as we had such a big lead and it was an average Roma team

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I am also depressed. But my son had a Bday and I got him small Barça kit so that helped a lot.

I can't see what to expect from rest of the season but I keep thinking Barça can pull unbeaten season. That keeps me motivated.

Hell, after Supercopa most of fans expected nothin. We can have a Double still.

I don't really care about the unbeaten record in the league, of course I still want us to win the domestic double but I am so troubled by the fashion in which we lost the Tuesday game, I am so upset with Valverde and the players in general, it will take a long time for me to get my energy back into the game. Not planning on watching any football games for a while. It just hurts to watch.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
No just give it time. Maybe a good win over real will completely clear it. I personally find this loss the hardest to get over seen as we had such a big lead and it was an average Roma team

I confess that I have the small club mentality: at this point perhaps the only thing will cheer me up a bit is to see Real Madrid getting eliminated from the CL.

Devils

I'm holding up fine.

I'm not sad or down, I have more anger and rage than anything else because this club has become a resting ground for sentimental divas and it pisses me off to see something I love accept values I absolutely despise.

Home of Barca Fans