Chris Smalling

IamGundogan

Aren't Boateng, Pique, Ramos, and Hummels UCL, World Cup, or Euro winning footballers? I'd wager the beast came out of them at some point over the last few seasons. On the other hand, what's Smalling's trophy cabinet looking like?

Yes, but you referenced one match.

Look, here's some goalposts............................ let's move them over here......................

That's your argument.

BenRobbins

I would like to see him partnered next to hummels or somebody if we could try and convince him to join. Would be a nice partnership. He has been really good this season but he is very well protected. Schweinstieger and Schneiderlin do sit quite deep infront off him so that also plays a part in him looking very good but nonetheless it is good to see him getting some recognition as he was written off.

Jair Ventura

Yes, but you referenced one match.

The crux of my argument was contingent upon Smalling playing like an "absolute beast" against Arsenal.

Look, here's some goalposts............................ let's move them over here......................

That's your argument.

The goalposts remain here:

"Chris Smalling can hardly play a pass, and when he can't outmuscle or bully an attacking player, noticeably struggles...
He's a solid physical CB with limited technical abilities, skills that are necessary to succeed at the top clubs in the world and are present in footballs best CB's: Boateng, Silva, Pique, Ramos, Hummels, etc."

But good effort.

Jair Ventura

Dont know really.

Shaw was having a very good season before his injury and never really got going last season for one reason or another. Both are very good players.

For some reason I doubt United has the two best defenders in the EPL in Shaw and Smalling but I could just be being overly critical.

Last edited:

Martindn

For some reason I doubt United has the two best defenders in the EPL in Shaw and Smalling but I could just be being overly critical.

Conceded 5 goals in 8 games until Shaw got injured, that was with Romero in goal and his 2 howlers against Swansea, that defence had some potential especially putting De gea there. It still hurts what happened to Shaw after seeing him improve so much at just 20 year old, Arsenal game wouldn't have been so bad for sure that right wing was bent over with its pants hanging down and exposed, what can you expect having to play a winger there. It is you being overly critical of the EPL and especially English players, that is the reason you doubt there quality. In fact, who do you think is better in the league? I personally dont know if he is the best but he isn't far off been consistently very good and from where he was after his second season to where he is now is a massive improvement and obviously put the work in.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

What on earth are you speaking about?

Where did I say 'Shaw and Smalling are the best two defenders in the EPL' this season?

You are not being 'overly critical' just making things up.

Who has been best CB in EPL this season then?

Jair Ventura

What on earth are you speaking about?

Where did I say 'Shaw and Smalling are the best two defenders in the EPL' this season?

You are not being 'overly critical' just making things up.

Who has been best CB in EPL this season then?

Because in my opinion, and from what I've gathered in the Shaw thread and other discussions with United supporters, up until his injury he was United's best defensive player. But in this thread, Smalling has elevated himself to the best CB in the EPL, putting him in contention for the leagues best defender, hence the question.

Conceded 5 goals in 8 games until Shaw got injured, that was with Romero in goal and his 2 howlers against Swansea, that defence had some potential especially putting De gea there. It still hurts what happened to Shaw after seeing him improve so much at just 20 year old, Arsenal game wouldn't have been so bad for sure that right wing was bent over with its pants hanging down and exposed, what can you expect having to play a winger there. It is you being overly critical of the EPL and especially English players, that is the reason you doubt there quality. In fact, who do you think is better in the league? I personally dont know if he is the best but he isn't far off been consistently very good and from where he was after his second season to where he is now is a massive improvement and obviously put the work in.

Sure, but all you'd play to that point was Tottenham, Villa, Newcastle, Swansea, and Liverpool. Hardly anyone who'd pose too much of a challenge for United given your resources, but the first time you matched up with a club of comparable stature your defense was shambolic. Albeit, Shaw was absent, but I don't know that he alone would have kept Arsenal from appearing as dominant as they were.

Off the top of my head, I think Otamendi, Stones, Kompany, Van Dijk, Koscielny, & Kouyate are better CB's than Smalling.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Because in my opinion, and from what I've gathered in the Shaw thread and other discussions with United supporters, up until his injury he was United's best defensive player. But in this thread, Smalling has elevated himself to the best CB in the EPL, putting him in contention for the leagues best defender, hence the question.

Yet nowhere did I say Shaw and Smalling have been the best two defenders in the EPL.

Again....who has been the best CB in the EPL in your eyes?

You do realise that Shaw being Man Utds best defender before injury AND Smalling being best CB in league this season don't contradict one another anyway?

Jair Ventura

Yet nowhere did I say Shaw and Smalling have been the best two defenders in the EPL.

You entered into the discussion because I contradicted the notion put forth that Smalling was the best CB in the EPL, suggesting that you disagree with my stance. I therefore asked whether you believed Smalling was a better player than Shaw, to which you answered, "I don't know". Which would suggest you believe they're both in contention for the leagues best defender.

Again....who has been the best CB in the EPL in your eyes?

Off the top of my head, I think Otamendi, Stones, Kompany, Van Dijk, Koscielny, & Kouyate are better CB's than Smalling.

You do realise that Shaw being Man Utds best defender before injury AND Smalling being best CB in league this season don't contradict one another anyway?

Yes, I understand that. What I don't understand is what you'd close your post with this statement after opening it with "Yet nowhere did I say Shaw and Smalling have been the best two defenders in the EPL."

JamDav1982

You entered into the discussion because I contradicted the notion put forth that Smalling was the best CB in the EPL, suggesting that you disagree with my stance. I therefore asked whether you believed Smalling was a better player than Shaw, to which you answered, "I don't know". Which would suggest you believe they're both in contention for the leagues best defender.

Yes, I understand that. What I don't understand is what you'd close your post with this statement after opening it with "Yet nowhere did I say Shaw and Smalling have been the best two defenders in the EPL."

No. You are making assumptions.

Saying Smalling has been the best CB. Remember that CENTRE BACK does not mean he has been best defender in league so you assumptions do not add up in the slightest by bringing in Shaw.

Smalling has been far better this season than any of the CBs you mention bar maybe a fit Kompany whos lack of games probably gives Smalling the edge on who has been the best.

Otamendi been poor, Van Dijk been decent but nothing great. Kouyate is not even a CB.

That list is terrible.

IamGundogan

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You do realise that Kouyate is being played predominantly as a centre midfielder for West Ham, right?

Adversus

No. You are making assumptions.

Saying Smalling has been the best CB. Remember that CENTRE BACK does not mean he has been best defender in league so you assumptions do not add up in the slightest by bringing in Shaw.

Smalling has been far better this season than any of the CBs you mention bar maybe a fit Kompany whos lack of games probably gives Smalling the edge on who has been the best.

Otamendi been poor, Van Dijk been decent but nothing great. Kouyate is not even a CB.

That list is terrible.

I'm a big fan of Stones and an Everton fan and while he's got certain qualities that Smalling doesn't have and probably a higher potential I think right now Smalling is better.

I agree Smalling is the best CB in the league and has been for well over a season now.

IamGundogan

I'm a big fan of Stones and an Everton fan and while he's got certain qualities that Smalling doesn't have and probably a higher potential I think right now Smalling is better.

I agree Smalling is the best CB in the league and has been for well over a season now.

It's ok man, Jair Ventura knows better sitting hundreds of miles away, not watching all the games and sees Kouyate as a better CB in the PL then Smalling.

Home of Barca Fans