Champions League

Horatio

You're welcome
More risks for sure , I swear at the times they looked like the underdog and not Real. As I said in another thread the likes of Chelsea and City gave Real more trouble than Liverpool ever did.

But dont think you can expect a team to not have lesser moments in final like this. Real is still a top team you are not going to dominate full 90 min and they will have their moments where they will look better. Like I appended ik the previous post, if not courtois score could have been 2-1 3-1.

But i do agree that their crossing was very lackluster.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Well maybe Marc is simply so shit that any good performance by a goalkeeper seem incredible.

Guess we are just starved of consistent good goalkeeping :shrug:

serghei

Early in the season when people were losing their minds over Bayern and Pool model in CL, I made a post comparing Barca, RM, Pool, and Bayern CL KO records vs. big teams in their "golden eras"

Barca 06-15 had a W percentage of 70% (4 CLs)
Madrid 11-22 had a W percentage of 75% (probably closer to 80% now) (5 CLs)

Bayern 10-22 had a W percentage of under 50% (2 CLs)
Pool 17-22 had a W percentage of under 50% (1 CL)

So, the superstar driven model is superior for big trophies because superstars transcend tactical errors and other random factors. You just need to phase out the superstars appropriately like RM do (better than us).

I think Madrid has the best model to win many CLs and the poorest model for building legendary sides, because they are very pragmatic and direct. They don't fuss with dominating the other teams, and are happy to just look for the win at all costs.

But they are a unique team in Florentino's 2nd term. Florentino won 5 CLs in 12 years since he was back as President. Man learned from his errors and built a team full of strong characters and mentally tough, that requires a special effort to beat.

The problem is special teams are very rare. Usually, in CL you'll have some good teams every season, but not really special teams. Madrid is going to beat these teams with great consistency. I can see them winning 1-2 more until the end of the decade.

Horatio

You're welcome
Not to mention that this performance slightly reminded of that boring conservative Liverpool performance against Spurs in the CL final.

It did for 30 min for me as well. Late first half and early second half yeah.

Maybe ur right. Maybe i am putting too much weight on courtois performance. Like donak said maybe were not used to seeing consistent good keeping

malvolio

Just out of curiosity, as I see everyone found Liverpool's alibi in Courtois. What big chance/wonder save did Courtois have to do in the second half?

Temptation

We obviously didn't create a shitload of high quality chances, but we created enough; much more than Madrid did at the other end.

KingLeo10

I think Madrid has the best model to win many CLs and the poorest model for building legendary sides, because they are very pragmatic and direct. They don't fuss with dominating the other teams, and are happy to just look for the win at all costs.

But they are a unique team in Florentino's 2nd term. Florentino won 5 CLs in 12 years since he was back as President. Man learned from his errors and built a team full of strong characters and mentally tough, that requires a special effort to beat.

The problem is special teams are very rare. Usually, in CL you'll have some good teams every season, but not really special teams. Madrid is going to beat these teams with great consistency. I can see them winning 1-2 more until the end of the decade.

Legendary sides is a Barca/Ajax speciality

Barca have done the LL + CL double all 5 times

Ajax have done the league + CL double all 4 times

But such sides need a lot of luck and factors to go right, hence the output isn't as high.

Horatio

You're welcome
Just out of curiosity, as I see everyone found Liverpool's alibi in Courtois. What big chance/wonder save did Courtois have to do in the second half?

Salah curler and that cross along goal that where again courtois blocked it for salah. And then the one on one with salah.

3 important moments

Last edited:
You have to give it to them, no one maximize their golden era more then Madrid, 1955-1966, 6 out of 11 European cups, 1997-2002, 3 out of 5-6 CL and 2014-2022, 5 out of 8 CL titles, could still add more.

Individual quality always shine in these moments and Madrid know how to find the best and get them to the promise land more then anyone else.

Home of Barca Fans