Champions League

FinBarcelonafan

That's exactly how it is. It's an ease of language. You instinctively differentiate between similar people and objects based on the clearest separator. If you see two similar cars, one red and one yellow you are automatically inclined to use color as the separator.

You won't look for other differentiators. Maybe one has better rims or has some sticker in the windshield or something like that. If someone asks you which one, you say the red one.

It's hilarious what the world has come to.

I feel the same. World is truly ridiculous place. People who don't mean bad gets crucified.

Although, I think the ref said something "I don't talk negro language" and that's definitely out of line. He should be suspended for that. I am glad they walked out.

serghei

I feel the same. World is truly ridiculous place. People who don't mean bad gets crucified.

Although, I think the ref said something "I don't talk negro language" and that's definitely out of line. He should be suspended for that. I am glad they walked out.

That's different then, but I didn't find that anywhere, that he said that. Based on what I've seen online, he used the word black to identify someone from a group and it's not a problem. Unless the point is to exclude the world black altogether when referring to people, which would be unacceptable since I can use any speech I want.

Calling someone black is not offensive in itself, or racist. It depends on the context you use. The black guy has no context. It's just identifying someone from a crowd using a clear visual element.

Last edited:

Gaudi

That's different then, but I didn't find that anywhere, that he said that. Based on what I've seen online, he used the word black to identify someone from a group and it's not a problem. Unless the point is to exclude the world black altogether when referring to people, which would be unacceptable since I can use any speech I want.

Calling someone black is not offensive in itself, or racist. It depends on the context you use. The black guy has no context. It's just identifying someone from a crowd using a clear visual element.

No no, that is what Suarez said to Evra if I am not mistaken.

Birdy

Possible opponents in the R16 for Barca:
Liverpool, City, and Chelsea (EN)
Bayern, Dortmund [+Gladbach if they finish top] (GE)
and PSG (if they win tonight)

I would definitely want to stay away from the German sides, even the lesser ones.
Don't know, but from all them I prefer PSG.
They were atrocious in their group, and i guess them being labeled favorites will work in our favor

Yannik

This is one of the rare times, where I'm not on the "anti-racism" side.

Using "the black one" as a reference and not as a derogatory term is not an act of willful racism. There is a difference between racism and political incorrectness.
It is important to stress that people should just stop referring to others by their skin colour. That fauxpax happens every once in a while, and most of the time isn't ill-intended, but it's still a bad habit you should try to get rid off.

But are we really gonna demonize this ref now for accidental political incorrectness?
Cancel-culture is still a problematic thing. This ref that is being made an example off will probably loose his job now, and get publicly shamed and privately threatened over something that was essentially just an accidental language mistake. Does noone think this goes beyond far?

malvolio

poor choice of words from the ref. no racism here. the guy probably doesn't even know what racism is, as most people don't know either.

but once uefa has this strongly on the agenda and is promoting it left and right, you're going to be burned at the stake for any dumb shit that comes out of your mouth.

Last edited:

Birdy

But are we really gonna demonize this ref now for accidental political incorrectness?
Cancel-culture is still a problematic thing. This ref that is being made an example off will probably loose his job now, and get publicly shamed and privately threatened over something that was essentially just an accidental language mistake. Does noone think this goes beyond far?

It has gone too far and this is happening in every domain of professional and public life

El Gato

Villarato!
I don't agree with this.
People describes others by their characteristic features all the time. The bald guy, the short lady, the one with long hair etc. It isn't like there aren't millions of tall, bald, short people etc.
I don't think it is really an act of racism if it is said on that intention.
That said, in this age and era, people should be always extra careful with this stuff. No need to put yourself in that position.

This is a professional environment where you work with people you do not know. If one's first instinct is to highlight the guy that stands out based on their complexion, they're an incredibly primitive person.
I said even if not racist by design, the comment is seriously insensitive and it does harm because it normalises the standard, which leads to the abuse from people who do not understand why you shouldn't do it. It encourages the same people who without a hint of sarcasm call African nations shithole countries etc. Absolutely no need for it. Having a fucking dumb impulse like this doesn't mean you should act on it. You should understand why it's dumb, because it is, and point at the guy.

It is important to stress that people should just stop referring to others by their skin colour. That fauxpax happens every once in a while, and most of the time isn't ill-intended, but it's still a bad habit you should try to get rid off.

Precisely the point.

No, probably shouldn't be demonised, it's ok to make mistakes. He needs to say he's sorry, explain the reasoning exactly this way and maybe there will be mercy from the community. Doubling down on the conviction that there was nothing wrong with 'calling it like he sees it' or some other rationalisation will see him never touch the whistle again.

you're going to be burned at the stake for any dumb shit that comes out of your mouth.

No, because this wasn't meant a joke which is the usual excuse people make WRT 'misunderstandings' or a get-out-of-jail card for their BS. If you do not think recognise an accident (I do believe he meant no harm) as dumb (many people don't) and you don't express regret over it, you shouldn't be in the public sphere. If you do, just say sorry, don't do it again, and we're cool.

Last edited:

malvolio

No, because this wasn't meant a joke which is the usual excuse people make WRT 'misunderstandings' or a get-out-of-jail card for their BS. If you do not think recognise an accident (I do believe he meant no harm) as dumb (many people don't) and you don't express regret over it, you shouldn't be in the public sphere. If you do, just say sorry, don't do it again, and we're cool.

it wasn't a misunderstanding. the guy just ran his mouth without thinking. the central referee being romanian, they just used common language in the heat of the moment, disregarding the professional environment. it was like two friends talking casually about a subject and using the first words that come into their heads. 'negru' meaning black in romanian, didn't help either as it's a word of latin origin, that most people heard off.

like if there were two american referees, one of would refer to webo as 'that black guy'.

webo was swearing at the refs anyway(he was to be red carded), once he heard the word 'negru' he lost his mind and milked the whole situation in his favor. at that point any excuse in the world couldn't save that referee.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
it wasn't a misunderstanding. the guy just ran his mouth without thinking. the central referee being romanian, they just used common language in the heat of the moment, disregarding the professional environment. it was like two friends talking casually about a subject and using the first words that come into their heads.

like if there were two american referees, one of would refer to webo as 'that black guy'.

No, it's not like 2 friends having a casual chat. They're in a professional environment and they're interacting with other people.
Yep - they were acting out their simpleton impulse (ran his mouth without thinking), in other words being a moron. At work.
Not thinking doesn't absolve them of the consequences of being idiots.

You have no way of knowing how someone else would have done in this situation so no point to resort to hypotheticals. There are people who stop and think before they use certain words even in 99% white Poland and then there are idiots in vast parts Latvia *cough*.

malvolio

No, it's not like 2 friends having a casual chat. They're in a professional environment and they're interacting with other people.
Yep - they were acting out their simpleton impulse (ran his mouth without thinking), in other words being a moron. At work.
Not thinking doesn't absolve them of the consequences of being idiots.

You have no way of knowing how someone else would have done in this situation so no point to resort to hypotheticals. There are people who stop and think before they use certain words even in 99% white Poland and then there are idiots in vast parts Latvia *cough*.

again with the holier than thou attitude.

did i say otherwise? the casual chat thing was an example. of course they should have acted and talked professionally. not trying to find excuses for the ref.

my initial point was that wasn't racism or premeditated racist behavior from the ref.

El Gato

Villarato!
What do you care about the 'attitude'? Read the content instead of getting triggered by the form :lol:

You did word it exactly in a way to make the accidental nature of the incident make the whole thing OK when it isn't OK.
Swearing at the refs isn't OK and assistant got red carded. Makes the ref even less smart for giving a dumbass assistant ammo to use against him.

Here's the kicker - would you have done the same to point out the black in the crowd at work? If the answer on impulse would be yes, therein lies the issue.

malvolio

What do you care about the 'attitude'? Read the content instead of getting triggered by the form :lol:

You did word it exactly in a way to make the accidental nature of the incident make the whole thing OK when it isn't OK.
Swearing at the refs isn't OK and assistant got red carded. Makes the ref even less smart for giving a dumbass assistant ammo to use against him.

Here's the kicker - would you have done the same to point out the black in the crowd at work? If the answer on impulse would be yes, therein lies the issue.

well i didn't say it was OK. and yes, the 'racist' nature of the words were accidental. doesn't make it OK, but i can understand that the guy was just stupid.

Alik

This is a professional environment where you work with people you do not know. If one's first instinct is to highlight the guy that stands out based on their complexion, they're an incredibly primitive person.
I said even if not racist by design, the comment is seriously insensitive and it does harm because it normalises the standard, which leads to the abuse from people who do not understand why you shouldn't do it. It encourages the same people who without a hint of sarcasm call African nations shithole countries etc. Absolutely no need for it. Having a fucking dumb impulse like this doesn't mean you should act on it. You should understand why it's dumb, because it is, and point at the guy.
Agreed.

Home of Barca Fans