Champions League: PSG - FC Barcelona 3-2

BarçAjax8

Not suited to our needs when we had prime Xavi playing. Suited now.

Cesc was never suited to our style of play... he looks great now (as many of us said he would) because he 1. Plays in the BPL 2. Plays in a different system that works to his strengths. 2 completely different teams with different styles, same Cesc.

Barcilliant

Cesc was never suited to our style of play... he looks great now (as many of us said he would) because he 1. Plays in the BPL 2. Plays in a different system that works to his strengths. 2 completely different teams with different styles, same Cesc.

+1

Its astonishing that people don't get it. Cesc fits in a system where he is allowed to play behind a target man and be direct in his passing. He is pretty one dimensional in that aspect.

Barcilliant

Verratti is not just "not tall". He is a proper midget. More of a midget than our own midgets. :)

LOL and people think defending set pieces is all about height!

Its about organisation and discipline too. Height IS a factor but yesterdays goal showed how poor our positioning was. Everyone crowded at the near post and no one marking a free Verratti. Also Ter Stegen should have done better.

Bucky

Penya Member
Just train your set-pieces and it should be okay, really.

Can't believe Verratti scored a header while he never scores any goal and is only 165 cm.

By the time they meet again, I hope to not see mistakes like this again.

Haha exactly, when Verratti scored my jaw hit the floor and I shouted "REEEEEAAAALLLLYYYY!!?!?!?!?!?".

Luis and Verratti, arguably two players we should have had in our squad by now, maybe not for some I get it but meh.

I agree the attack looked good. It's obvious though, Barca ain't winning anything if they concede 3 goals in a game. Like someone posted earlier, the key in CL matches is minimising errors and the best way to do that is approach matches looking to control the possession.

Getting hit with counters all over the shop and with both full-backs flying forward is a recipe for disaster, and that was shown last night.

Both of you spot on, the Sky Sports commentators were doing my head in, I really wish they'd shut up with their bias but also curse like commentary that f'n jinxed us all over the place. They said along the lines of right at the beginning of the game, "the team that makes the most mistakes will lose here"; wish in the first few minutes we saw Barça completely stuff up constantly. Mistake after mistake. It was not the Barça we knew, they were sloppy and I use that word so much because that's what it was. Amateurish mistakes and school boy errors that they seriously need to cut out.

We control the possession a lot, press and play high up the pitch with the defense playing far too dangerously high whilst they lack the speed to get back. They made a lot of predictable passes that got either intercepted, the pass was too weak to make it or completely scuffed it up.

Verratti is not just "not tall". He is a proper midget. More of a midget than our own midgets. :)

Ah that gave me a good giggle! XD

Yeah they really should have picked him up, they probably thought nothing of him because of how small he is? But the fact is the ball went high and only Rakitic was tracking back to cover the back post and he was left to mark 3 people. Shoddy, very shoddy. No one on the back post either to give Ter Stegan some breathing space to cover other gaps.

Last edited:

Cule4life

The Culest
5aeS0uw.gif

post-45122-This-is-the-End-Jonah-Hill-Sic-CTB6.gif

i_bleed_blaugrana

I think if Iniesta-Busi-Xavi starts this game, this game goes a little different. This game needed control and as good as Rakitic has been so far, its games like these where he will get exposed a bit. We need him when we are playing more physical midfielders where we need someone with beef to hold up the ball and break up plays, Atletico for example. PSG fielded a more technical midfield than we did, with Veratti and Motta maintaining the tempo and Matuidi playing free but coming back to help when they were off the ball. Rakitic is good in possession but he isn't the kind of midfielder that can control a game. Its incredibly hard to do what Xavi does and that's why he is so invaluable to this squad, still.

The key to us right now is that people know how we play, its so funny that Flavia earlier posted that average position chart because it is almost identical to my Barca formation on FIFA (except the AMs are narrower, as someone rightfully called out). So man management and knowing when to play who for certain teams is going to be the key to any coach for Barca and in someways is more important than tactics since the blueprint is so ingrained already. When everybody is on the same page, its incredibly hard to neutralize Barca's game but one or two players out of sync and the system falls apart. Pedro looks a shadow of the player he was with Pep, I've supported him before and he had a great opportunity to claim a stake in the starting 11 with Suarez out and he has been nothing short of abysmal this season, with him being ineffective upfront our entire attack is cut in half which is why we only had joy on left with Neymar and Iniesta's link-up and Messi overloading.

In the past, one of the few criticisms that has been thrown at Iniesta is his inability to play well with and AM partner besides Xavi and considering his recent form and Rakitic starting more over Xavi, I think its worth mentioning again. Which sums up this post, it all comes down to man management. Lucho can learn a lot from this loss. The thing that makes me optimistic is that there is a lot more variety in this squad than in the past and once Lucho learns what players are best suited for certain game situations, we will start showing more consistency. Key things he needs to consider:

-Strongest CB pairing (imo right now, Pique-Mathieu)

-Defining Xavi's role in this squad going forward (you might call me crazy, but if well managed, Xavi could play and still be an asset to this club for another 4 years)

-Integrating Suarez, which he seems to have a good shape to suit Suarez

I think we will be ready for Madrid in time though.

barca7788

Nepali Cule
as far as i know cesc was influence in that possession based Arsenal team too so i just think that it was our formation and all that false nine bullshit(for cesc) thing that hindered him.

F

Flavia

as far as i know cesc was influence in that possession based Arsenal team too so i just think that it was our formation and all that false nine bullshit(for cesc) thing that hindered him.

No, it wasn't that. If he was here now, he'd probably be playing his worst games for Barça. His lack of speed and energy were a huge problem.

barca7788

Nepali Cule
No, it wasn't that. If he was here now, he'd probably be playing his worst games for Barça. His lack of speed and energy were a huge problem.
i seriously think that we handled him poorly. our mids dont need (and dont have it)that speed and while xavi in himself was a workhorse when playing beside DECO, its just a history now.
we barely used him how he should have been used and he was pretty much made scapegoat in all these years where all of the players lacked motivation. we already lack that creativity in our mid with iniesta playing underpar n rakitic lacking in that department.I think we will soon be hunting for one in the market soon.
i know lots of forum members disagrees but its just my thought that we misused him. with his talent we could and should have done much better.

F

Flavia

i seriously think that we handled him poorly. our mids dont need (and dont have it)that speed and while xavi in himself was a workhorse when playing beside DECO, its just a history now.
we barely used him how he should have been used and he was pretty much made scapegoat in all these years where all of the players lacked motivation. we already lack that creativity in our mid with iniesta playing underpar n rakitic lacking in that department.I think we will soon be hunting for one in the market soon.
i know lots of forum members disagrees but its just my thought that we misused him. with his talent we could and should have done much better.

If he was that good, he surely would had found his place here. Barça's way of playing don't suit Cesc's. He started at la masia, but his time at arsenal changed his style of play. He needs a target man. And it's not running speed only. He was a snail when passing, or deciding what to do. Barça is not lacking creativity, the problem is the midfielders are playing too wide, and covering for the fullbacks, instead of creating.

barca7788

Nepali Cule
If he was that good, he surely would had found his place here. Barça's way of playing don't suit Cesc's. He started at la masia, but his time at arsenal changed his style of play. He needs a target man. And it's not running speed only. He was a snail when passing, or deciding what to do. Barça is not lacking creativity, the problem is the midfielders are playing too wide, and covering for the fullbacks, instead of creating.
i wonder how many times have we played him in the standard 4-3-3 position be it iniesta or xavi`s position giving him the free role to roam. u r exaggerating it when u say he is a snail in passing or decision making.

F

Flavia

i wonder how many times have we played him in the standard 4-3-3 position be it iniesta or xavi`s position giving him the free role to roam. u r exaggerating it when u say he is a snail in passing or decision making.

I'm not. He was a snail for us. He always needed an extra time to decide what to do.

BarçAjax8

This is simple...
Cesc plays best as a #10 but Barcelona don't play with a 10.
Arsenal played Cesc behind v.Persie with a winger on either side and 2 mids behind (rightfully so) to take advantage of Cesc's great passing/vision/shooting but also to have cover for his lack of speed & defensive ability.

At Barcelona it's as important to maintain possession and control your area of the pitch as an individual as it is to play as a unit. When Cesc was isolated to control a side of the pitch his weaknesses were exposed such as his lack of spacial awareness and he would give up the ball on a lot of occasions because he's used to playing centrally with team-mates all around him.

Don't get me wrong, I like Cesc and chose him for my BPL fantasy team before the season started because I knew how he'd fit into Mourinho's system. He got to come back to his boyhood team and win La Liga so good for him, but he wasn't ever suited to play our current system.

+10
Notice how we're not getting hit on counters (before PSG match) or conceding any goals? It's because in our current system we are substituting Iniesta-Rakitic going forward for BOTH our fullbacks getting forward. I'm still of the opinion that the LB needs to be one that brings more defense to the backline allowing Iniesta/Neymar & Dani to get forward.

Bravo
Dani - Bartra - Pique - Mathieu
Busquets
Rakitic - Iniesta
Suarez - Messi - Neymar

is the lineup I'm waiting to see.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans