Champions League 2022/2023

Who will win the CL?

• Total voters

fergus90

Beating Porto, Benfica, and Milan in a row isnt easy, even if they are all tier 2 teams.

Yes, an easy draw, but I have questions on if we would win out against all those teams in a 2 legged tie in a row considering our record in Europe recently.

I also think Inter proved their quality in the final with City where they definitely deserved to win against a team people are hailing as one of the best of all time.
I think this Inter team is okay but not really filled with great quality on the ball. Would've finished 4th in their league without Juve's point deduction

and across their 13 CL games their record is W 7 D 3 L 3 which facing those sides you'd think this Barca side with their players available should definitely match.

Barca of course has a mental roadblock in European competitions but with their squad they aren't actually miles off getting to these latter stages. Sides whom on paper are not much different are doing it.

ajnotkeith

I think this Inter team is okay but not really filled with great quality on the ball. Would've finished 4th in their league without Juve's point deduction

and across their 13 CL games their record is W 7 D 3 L 3 which facing those sides you'd think this Barca side with their players available should definitely match.

Barca of course has a mental roadblock in European competitions but with their squad they aren't actually miles off getting to these latter stages. Sides whom on paper are not much different are doing it.
I do agree on paper we absolutely have a squad to be getting to the final.

The issue is like you said, that roadblock, and that inferiority complex perpetrated by fans and even the managers.

Need a club culture change.

KingLeo10

We don't have a squad capable of getting to the final.

Because, while we do have quality players, there is a severe lack of mental fortitude from the players themselves. Xavi's naive tactics in Europe don't help but I don't think the lack of mental fortitude is coming from him - man was after all an absolute winner on the big stage (like never lost a big cup final).

Temptation

We don't have a squad capable of getting to the final.

Because, while we do have quality players, there is a severe lack of mental fortitude from the players themselves. Xavi's naive tactics in Europe don't help but I don't think the lack of mental fortitude is coming from him - man was after all an absolute winner on the big stage (like never lost a big cup final).
Doesn't matter if Xavi was a winner as a player. His issue is his lack of tactical and management knowledge. That's what's costing him in Europe. He can't cope or outwit managers tactically.

Management is very different from playing. Maradona the GOAT was a shite manager.

jamrock

The effects of losing 2 CL final & losing to bayern in such and embarrassing fashion, is still with that club even with completely need players, they all want to go out and put it right and that "pressure" for lack of a better word affects the play on the field.

When you have a vocal minority of the fans saying things like fuck the league I want to qualify for the last 16 of the CL, it gets filtered down to the players.

But relax we'll get there again soon, Madrid went through a period where they constantly failed in the CL, they won it again once and the pressure valve was released.

Bayern huffs & puffs but pretty much always gets knocked out, bar 1 covid CL, they have been shit in the comp, but fans don't see it that way because they always do all in the group stages.

Last season was the first full season under the new board & Coach, we won the league, next season we will make progress on the CL, 2 years from now with the right draw, SF is within reach.

It takes time after failing so many times when we were within reach of winning two and a complete collapse against one of the games big names, basically it will take time to recover from bartomeau, we are well on our way.

No one with a once if intelligence can say xavi has a issue mentally when it comes big games & moments, that's just plain stupid, but it's his job to pass that on to the players

KingLeo10

Doesn't matter if Xavi was a winner as a player. His issue is his lack of tactical and management knowledge. That's what's costing him in Europe. He can't cope or outwit managers tactically.

Management is very different from playing. Maradona the GOAT was a shite manager.
The issue is tactical ability from Xavi's side.

The issue from the players side is suspect fortitude - Kounde, Dembele, Lewa, Pedri. And then the usual well established suspects in Alba and Busquets.

BBZ8800

Beating Porto, Benfica, and Milan in a row isnt easy, even if they are all tier 2 teams.

Yes, an easy draw, but I have questions on if we would win out against all those teams in a 2 legged tie in a row considering our record in Europe recently.

I also think Inter proved their quality in the final with City where they definitely deserved to win against a team people are hailing as one of the best of all time.

Yeah

Inter had an easy draw but Barca hadn't win against any semidecent European team in the last 2 years.

So, it is highly unlikely that we would win 3 ties in a row, no matter how average they are.

Temptation

The issue is tactical ability from Xavi's side.

The issue from the players side is suspect fortitude - Kounde, Dembele, Lewa, Pedri. And then the usual well established suspects in Alba and Busquets.

If RL9 comes up clutch next season, will your stance change? Then you'll complain about his pressing probably. :lol:

KingLeo10

If RL9 comes up clutch next season, will your stance change? Then you'll complain about his pressing probably. :lol:
Nah, I was all onboard the Lewa train this season till that Allianz game.

If he scores his chances there after Barca and him dominated 1st half, the whole season in Europe is different. Barca badly need a CL away game win against a top tier opponent (that is not RM).

If he comes up clutch next season in Europe, then all the praises for him. I'm actually not as sold on forum favorites Pedri and Gavi in big moments either. So, it's not Lewa hate.

fergus90

The effects of losing 2 CL final & losing to bayern in such and embarrassing fashion, is still with that club even with completely need players, they all want to go out and put it right and that "pressure" for lack of a better word affects the play on the field.

When you have a vocal minority of the fans saying things like fuck the league I want to qualify for the last 16 of the CL, it gets filtered down to the players.

But relax we'll get there again soon, Madrid went through a period where they constantly failed in the CL, they won it again once and the pressure valve was released.

Bayern huffs & puffs but pretty much always gets knocked out, bar 1 covid CL, they have been shit in the comp, but fans don't see it that way because they always do all in the group stages.

Last season was the first full season under the new board & Coach, we won the league, next season we will make progress on the CL, 2 years from now with the right draw, SF is within reach.

It takes time after failing so many times when we were within reach of winning two and a complete collapse against one of the games big names, basically it will take time to recover from bartomeau, we are well on our way.

No one with a once if intelligence can say xavi has a issue mentally when it comes big games & moments, that's just plain stupid, but it's his job to pass that on to the players
Barca's main problem is the manner of the defeats i definitely agree. Of course only one team can win it so each year you're going to have big sides falling short.

But what's happened to Barca in Europe has had an effect that lasts beyond that particular season. Since 16/17 we've been routinely spanked at least once every season and not really won a knockout against a top team since we last won the CL bar that miracle comeback after a horror show in Paris.

4-0 PSG
3-0 Juve
3-0 Roma
4-0 Liverpool
2-8 Bayern
1-4 PSG
Group Stage embarrassment

Whilst most clubs could have a particularly bad year, strengthen and have another fist of it, this Barca side was still processing the aftermath of their previous exit. It may just take one knockout win to reset the mentality of the players though.

KingLeo10

Barca's main problem is the manner of the defeats i definitely agree. Of course only one team can win it so each year you're going to have big sides falling short.

But what's happened to Barca in Europe has had an effect that lasts beyond that particular season. Since 16/17 we've been routinely spanked at least once every season and not really won a knockout against a top team since we last won the CL.

4-0 PSG
3-0 Juve
3-0 Roma
4-0 Liverpool
2-8 Bayern
1-4 PSG

Whilst most clubs could have a particularly bad year, strengthen and have another fist of it, this Barca side was still processing the aftermath of their previous exit. It may just take one knockout win to reset the mentality of the players though.

Agree, but I think it went off the rails after the Pool defeat. We still had the ability to deliver a big score before that: 6-1 PSG, 4-1 Roma, 3-0 Liverpool.
But since Anfield, this team is absolutely finished and have been thoroughly dismantled since. There is absolutely 0 respect from opponents because Anfield exposed the culmination of everything wrong with the club (from Busquets to Alba's tears to a yes-man like EV to Barto bankrupting us etc.).

RM might face this issue soon too. City exposed them the last 3 years. RM were just lucky to scrape by in 1 of those 3 :lol:But RM will also steer the ship better than us...because it's RM in Europe

Temptation

Real Madrid's next generation can turn out to be complete Bottlers for all we know.......

It's gonna be a new 11 almost except 2 or 3.

jamrock

I agree with both of you guys.
I think the pool & Roma results really did us in, Because while yes were losing especially in away games in Europe during those years.

We would have been maintaining an average of winning the CL every 4 seasons if we won any of those two games, which would have gone some way in making the away loses in that period be looked at as just apart of the process of eventually winning the CL.

But to lose 2 SF fucked up.

fergus90

Agree, but I think it went off the rails after the Pool defeat. We still had the ability to deliver a big score before that: 6-1 PSG, 4-1 Roma, 3-0 Liverpool.
But since Anfield, this team is absolutely finished and have been thoroughly dismantled since. There is absolutely 0 respect from opponents because Anfield exposed the culmination of everything wrong with the club (from Busquets to Alba's tears to a yes-man like EV to Barto bankrupting us etc.).

RM might face this issue soon too. City exposed them the last 3 years. RM were just lucky to scrape by in 1 of those 3 :lol:But RM will also steer the ship better than us...because it's RM in Europe
The Liverpool defeat was my worst night as a Barca fan without doubt.

The 8-2 seemed somewhat inevitable against someone so was kinda numb to it by then. Could've been Bayern, City, Liverpool or whoever the club was done at that point.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar

With Torres, Ansu, Raphinha and post World Cup Lewa? Lol no... Xavi needs to get his head out of his fu**ing a** and buy at least 1-2 forwards that can dribble AND score AND have some pace AND technique.

Home of Barca Fans