Busquets replacement

jamrock

I think the top 5 (minus City are all linked to him). Ironically City are the ones with a buyback clause.

So yeah, might be the real deal but very far from Barca. And as Madrid have shown with ComeToBed and Tchou, not a sure bet they instantly adapt to the highest level. So I get Xavi dilemma in a Busi replacement right now, even if we should have gone for a high potential option this summer or the winter before while Busi was here and money was available.

If they're after him he must be at least decent and shows potential.

I agree with your point re finding a potential busquets replacement while he was still at the club, should have been done for years now really.

But money won't be an issue in replacing him, we wouldn't have spent more than 50-60ish for his replacement last summer, which would have meant not signing someone else and that's about what we will spend this summer to replace him, so the money issue is fine, but having him here to help the transition would have been ideal.

soul24rage

Watching him, I would say he should never be considered for first team atm.
At most he could be a Barca B player competing for Casado
If you are referring to watching the U-20 match today, I wasn't able to see it but Mascherano fielded both Tanlongo and Redondo together which seems contradictory. It's like playing both Mascherano and Busi together in a double pivot for a Barca team. Doesn't work like that for me.

khaled_a_d

If you are referring to watching the U-20 match today, I wasn't able to see it but Mascherano fielded both Tanlongo and Redondo together which seems contradictory. It's like playing both Mascherano and Busi together in a double pivot for a Barca team. Doesn't work like that for me.

In a double pivot, Mascherano and Busquets makes a lot of sense, no?
Mascherano is a bad coach, but Redondo looked like old Busquets playing against Bayern tbh.
Even with bad coaching, you have to show some talent there IMO.
I am not writing him off entirely, but being associated with Barca/RM needs special type of talent that is ready to cope right away.
I think if Redondo succeeds, he will be the kind of guy that needs to take baby steps in his development. Think of someone like Guimeras who only left Brazil at 22, to play in Lyon, took him another couple of years to be able to go to EPL.
Him going for Barca or another big club will be bad for both in my humble, and ignorant, opinion.

soul24rage

Mascherano is a bad coach, but Redondo looked like old Busquets playing against Bayern tbh.
I am not writing him off entirely, but being associated with Barca/RM needs special type of talent that is ready to cope right away.
I think if Redondo succeeds, he will be the kind of guy that needs to take baby steps in his development. Think of someone like Guimeras who only left Brazil at 22, to play in Lyon, took him another couple of years to be able to go to EPL.
Him going for Barca or another big club will be bad for both in my humble, and ignorant, opinion.
Masche and Busquets double pivot together never made sense to me. Either play one of them and have another midfield go forward. I'll watch the game later if I have time and let you know my thoughts on the game.

Messi983

Redondo would do ok in a double pivot alongside FDJ imo, not so sure he could handle it as a single DM though. But ofc I'm talking about Redondo in a year or two (potentially more) from now, he's not ready to come straight into the first team as a starter, I think that much is obvious. We need a more proven player to replace Busi not a kid who has never played in Europe.

As for the potential fit it really depends on a system. Question is if Xavi will continue to use 4 midfielders setup more often even with Busi leaving. I think if Messi (Leo and Busi are obviously totally different players but at this stage of their careers they need another pair of younger, fresher legs alongside them. And while I'm not totally decided if I want Leo to return - my heart says yes, my head says no - I would very much prefer rest of the team to run for a player who can still make a difference offensively rather than a DM whose main job is defending but can't do that anymore) returns then he will if not I have no idea. He still might because this system also brings the best out of FDJ.

But Xavi won't be here forever and future coach(es) will go back to a single DM system and we'll need someone who can do that job. Just a small sample size ofc but as @khaled_a_d said I also have some question marks if Redondo can become that guy in time. Now ofc he'd be a relatively cheap gamble and if our scouts like him enough I'm not opposed to sign him but at the same time we could also use resources (money and time) buying and developing the wrong player. Wouldn't happen the first nor the last time though.

soul24rage

Just watched the Argentina vs Nigeria, honestly thought that Redondo was fine. 7/10 performance for me. Could have had a better performance if Redondo was paired with either Perrone or Miramon and not a pure defensive midfielder like Tanlongo imo. Happy to agree to disagree.

Think he would just need one more year playing regular football in Argentina before moving to Europe, but I agree he's not ready to be a starter for Barca's first team yet. Maybe in like 2-3 years time he could be, but by then Xavi might be gone.

khaled_a_d

Just watched the Argentina vs Nigeria, honestly thought that Redondo was fine. 7/10 performance for me. Could have had a better performance if Redondo was paired with either Perrone or Miramon and not a pure defensive midfielder like Tanlongo imo. Happy to agree to disagree.

Think he would just need one more year playing regular football in Argentina before moving to Europe, but I agree he's not ready to be a starter for Barca's first team yet. Maybe in like 2-3 years time he could be, but by then Xavi might be gone.

Where do you watch replies?
FIFA + ain't working here unfortunately

khaled_a_d

Watching Amrabat yesterday, I think he is the best option we have in the market.
He is one of the best DM around this season, play with great intensity, and he is the one who always shows for his teammates when his team has the ball, very underrated aspect of his game that is crucial for Barca.
I think he can be a Rakitic type of signing, a guy who serves the role very well but fans won't be satisfied because the bar was set by a legend. Can give us 3 or 4 good years until we find someone who is elite to replace him (hopefully).
I fully believe he is superior player to Zubimendi, both for this team and in general

Andresito

Staff member
Probably trash rumour:

Barcelona are interested in FLORENTINO LUÍS (23) of Benfica to replace Busquets with. He could be available for €40m. @sport

Porque

Watching Amrabat yesterday, I think he is the best option we have in the market.
He is one of the best DM around this season, play with great intensity, and he is the one who always shows for his teammates when his team has the ball, very underrated aspect of his game that is crucial for Barca.
I think he can be a Rakitic type of signing, a guy who serves the role very well but fans won't be satisfied because the bar was set by a legend. Can give us 3 or 4 good years until we find someone who is elite to replace him (hopefully).
I fully believe he is superior player to Zubimendi, both for this team and in general

But is he better than Graveson?

Temptation

His passing is only underrated by people who basically don't watch him play much. Basically Barca fans who know him for the WC campaign.

Amrabat is a better passer than a tackler or marker. That's his best attribute alongside the composure and workrate.

He needs to bring more nastiness and improve his ball-winning skills if he wants to be a World Class DM.

Home of Barca Fans