Best Manager of All Time?

Best Manager?

• Bill Shankly (Liverpool)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ernst Happel (Hamburg, Feyenoord, Holland)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sir Matt Busby (Manchester Utd)

• Miguel Munoz (Real Madrid)

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Johan Cruyff (Ajax, Barcelona)

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • Arrigo Sacchi (AC Milan

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Sir Alex Ferguson (Aberdeen, Manchester Utd

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • Marcelo Lippi (Juventus, Italy)

• Brian Clough (Derby County, Nottingham Forrest)

• JocK Stein (Celtic, Scotland

• Helenio Herrera (Atletico,Barca, Inter)

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters

Pajo

Interista Paja Patak
Herrera by far.. I havent even been born back than, but the success, articles, oppinions i read over the internet says it...

Atm, the best is SAF, love him or hate him, you have to respect him.

CuleWern

Voted SAF, until i'm no fan of man united - but the sir is definetly the greatest coach of my lifetime so far. Hoping to vote for Pep next time possible.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Overall good point but Herrera was as good of a man manager as he was a tactician, he brought sports psychology to football. He completely changed the way a manager could get the most out of their players.

yeah but you're pre-conditioned to be madly in love with Herrera, regardless of what he does. :p

and regarding Herrera having a more direct impact on the Western European game... you do realise Sebes invented the #10, right? :lol:

but really you can't objectively state a case for one individual to be THE best ever. beyond a list of the greatest, which I reckon I covered in my previous post, it then becomes about opinion as to who your favourite is.

Paulo Di Canio if i remember correctly..

Shocking to see no votes for Miguel Munoz...

16 years in Charge of Real , 9 league trophies and 2 CL
first manager to win the CL as a player and as a Manager (twice ) , he took Real Madrid during a time of transition when the Di Stefano generation was too old and built another great generation that managed to win the CL 6 years later in 1966 beating the likes of Herrera on the way (revenge from the previous encounter in the final vs Herrera when Inter won the trophy) as well as Runner up spot in charge of Spain in 1984
introduced so many great players and managed to keep Real competitive

If you look to his success rate in Europe and Spain .. u can strike off 90% of the names on the list

Yé-Yé were fantastic, but Munoz for me is a better version of Paisley. a winner, yes, but he was given such a magnificent platform for success that it somewhat depreciates what he achieved when compared to other all-time greats (Paisley achieved more but at an easier time, plus he had less building to do).

definitely an "honourable mention" kinda guy.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Well Sebes might have taken the concept of the #10 to the next level, before him there was the River Plate team of the early 40's (Di Stefano being an alumni of la Máquina) and more importantly the Austrian wunderteam built on Jimmy Hogan's innovations; hell, Sebes even gave credit to Hogan. Sebes, like Michels, was still a revolutionary, but often given more credit than deserved because his product was so damn sexy.

Tactically it's virtually imposable to choose between Herrera, Sebes, Michels, Hogan, Meisl and Maslov.

Regardinly Muñoz, undoubtably a great coach but that team owes as much to Di Stefano as it does to him. Yes the yé-yé was one of the greatest teams of all time and Muñoz is a part of that but the foundations were set by Di Stefano.

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Well Sebes might have taken the concept of the #10 to the next level, before him there was the River Plate team of the early 40's (Di Stefano being an alumni of la Máquina) and more importantly the Austrian wunderteam built on Jimmy Hogan's innovations; hell, Sebes even gave credit to Hogan. Sebes, like Michels, was still a revolutionary, but often given more credit than deserved because his product was so damn sexy.

I'll say this, you're fucking consistent.

:lol:

Hogan, River, whatever... the things Sebes had Hidegkuti do were revolutionary and the basis for pretty much 90% of the greatest players in the world since then. Maradona, Zico, Baggio, Laudrup and Messi, to name but five examples.

Beast

The Observer

Regardinly Muñoz, undoubtably a great coach but that team owes as much to Di Stefano as it does to him. Yes the yé-yé was one of the greatest teams of all time and Muñoz is a part of that but the foundations were set by Di Stefano.

Di Stefano was 34 when Munoz took over and 38 when he left two years before Munoz managed to get the 6th .
his influence on the pitch was fading fast and the transition between Di Stefano, replacing the yé-yé and keeping the team competitive especially in Europe is no easy task especially with the consistency he showed and the block of foreign players imposed by General Franco on the Spanish teams .. yet in his 16 years he maintained the old team with proper reinforcement and formed two .. only managed to skip playing the CL for something like 3 years (only one team allowed to play in the CL ) yet managed to come back again in the early 70's with a new team and reach the later stages as he always did .
the consistency especially in Europe is unrivaled with any manager , most of the time when Real played in the CL they reached the Semi's if not the final

Yé-Yé were fantastic, but Munoz for me is a better version of Paisley. a winner, yes, but he was given such a magnificent platform for success that it somewhat depreciates what he achieved when compared to other all-time greats (Paisley achieved more but at an easier time, plus he had less building to do).

definitely an "honourable mention" kinda guy.

As i said to Nolan , you have to consider the age of Di Stefano and co when Munoz took over , they were not in their primes but towards the end of their career with Di Stefano in his 34 year , Puskas 33.. barely young chickens and on decline than on the rise

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
As i said to Nolan , you have to consider the age of Di Stefano and co when Munoz took over , they were not in their primes but towards the end of their career with Di Stefano in his 34 year , Puskas 33.. barely young chickens and on decline than on the rise

yeah and I appreciate all that, but a monkey could have won that first CL with those guys. well, maybe not a monkey, but certainly a very stupid human.

now yes, Munoz did very well to slowly bring the Yé-Yé kids in as the original superstars faded away, before eventually letting the kids take over, but he was helped greatly in this by Gento playing through and leading the youngsters to the final in '66. but yeah, he did very well but his platform was pretty much the greatest team in the world. and knowing Bernabeu, the youth development was no doubt invested in heavily as the superstars were being pulled in.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
What I mean is Di Stefano can be credited to the culture, both in the locker room and on the pitch, that would define Madrid for decades..much like Cruyff did for Barcelona years later. Munoz was a big reason that culture survived and the kids Madrid produced would continue to swear by it but few coaches come into a job with as much going for them as Munoz. Herrera inherited talent in both Barca and Inter but not nearly the same level of success.

N

Neji1o

Where is Pep ? My vote : Johan Cruyff (Ajax, Barcelona). He created the first dream team of Barca. :party00231: :party00231:

E

Essie

I don't think there's an absolute best in this one. but SAF is, along with some others, the best coach ever.

R

romario

Then you must agree that Rinus Michels for having taught Cruyff the style he implemented at Barca, the greatest of all.

Home of Barca Fans