Bernardo Silva

BBZ8800

Who do you want Barca to sign to improve physicality?

It is not about midfielders.
It is about a few players in each line.

Long term, we will need different strikers than Msn.
We will need at least one stronger midfielder and a Cb who is not Maschetano and a Lb who can sometimes jump, unlike Alba.

Our teams since 2009 are the weakest Barca in attacking and defensive aerial strength.

When you add that our attack is one dimensional and midfield is poor, my idea is more about a longterm Barca's overhaul and not playing the same crap with different names.

You are mentioning 5 trophies in 2 years.
Remove Messi from this story and again you have a one dimensional attacking scheme, poor midfield, physically weak players, defenders who can't jump and a no plan B.

Messi alone was covering a lot of deficiencies in our team.
But again, remove Messi, Xavi and Iniesta and our current system will be a disaster in Europe.

The same how it always was, before Messi.

JamDav1982

It is not about midfielders.
It is about a few players in each line.

Long term, we will need different strikers than Msn.
We will need at least one stronger midfielder and a Cb who is not Maschetano and a Lb who can sometimes jump, unlike Alba.

Our teams since 2009 are the weakest Barca in attacking and defensive aerial strength.

When you add that our attack is one dimensional and midfield is poor, my idea is more about a longterm Barca's overhaul and not playing the same crap with different names.

You are mentioning 5 trophies in 2 years.
Remove Messi from this story and again you have a one dimensional attacking scheme, poor midfield, physically weak players, defenders who can't jump and a no plan B.

Messi alone was covering a lot of deficiencies in our team.
But again, remove Messi, Xavi and Iniesta and our current system will be a disaster in Europe.

The same how it always was, before Messi.

Assuming you agree Barca needs a change in midfield who would you want signed?

gasgas

Neymar loses the ball a lot as well. Bernardo Silva is the one who has to make things happen for Monaco. This means not only that he is allowed to take risks, but even that he has to take them because the manager knows he is the most skilled player in the team. So, I'm sure they actually have some tactical instructions that say 'when Bernardo does this, you X, and you Y, do that'.

What you need to understand is that, if we sign a ball playing midfielder with skill and speed, that player automatically is the main man for his team. Unless you sign him from a team full of stars which is almost impossible. Bernardo is like that, and Coutinho is like that. Being the main man at some other team means they have more license to do certain things. It doesn't mean that they can't adapt to a bigger team and reduce a bit the risks they take.

Would you say that Coutinho in Brazil, when he plays next to Neymar plays the same way he does at Liverpool, without Neymar, Marcelo etc.

We need players that make things happen. This is what we lack. Players who make things happen in midfield. Iniesta could do it, but his legs are gone. Basically, at Monaco, Bernardo takes the ball, gets past one player in a safe and controlled way, but he still has to do a lot more to get into scoring postions. And here is when the risks multiply, resulting in more lost balls. At Barca, at the moment, a nice first touch, a quick dribble forward and a good release is more than enough to take two players out. If we get a player who can make that first move, he doesn't have to take more risks after that. Passing options would reveal themselves. But nobody does this first move at Barca. Only Messi and Neymar, but they are NOT midfielders. Both Bernardo and Coutinho can do it. They will take on passing responsability, which Rakitic, Gomes and Denis don't do.

Of course, all this is useless if we don't get a very good manager. A very good manager for Barca means at this moment, a more fluid approach. Bring more players in both the defensive phase and the offensive phase. We need playmakers in midfield, which means we need a more collective form of defending when we lose the ball, because the playmakers won't magically transform into Gatussos and Makeleles when they don't have the ball. With a rigid approach, Coutinho and Bernardo won't be able to hold the position in defense. Players will get past them. But if we make density when the ball is lost and narrow down space for the opponent, defending will be easier, as it is no more 1 vs 1.

If that's the case then Neymar is an even better option for Iniesta replacement
He takes risks, already plays on that side
He is creative (statistically he creates more key passes a game than Messi), he has close control, can dribble
With tactical instructions he can tone it down as well and do an even better job and is even better defensively than Silva
He can do a quick first touch, quick dribble forward

How did that feel? Awkward?
That's how i feel whenever Coutinho, Silva, Dele Alli are mentioned for our midfield

If you would be fine with that then there's no need to continue this discussion. BTW I am asking the mods to permaban me

serghei

If that's the case then Neymar is an even better option for Iniesta replacement
He takes risks, already plays on that side
He is creative (statistically he creates more key passes a game than Messi), he has close control, can dribble
With tactical instructions he can tone it down as well and do an even better job and is even better defensively than Silva
He can do a quick first touch, quick dribble forward

How did that feel? Awkward?
That's how i feel whenever Coutinho, Silva, Dele Alli are mentioned for our midfield

If you would be fine with that then there's no need to continue this discussion. BTW I am asking the mods to permaban me

Neymar is closer to a winger-striker, than midfielder-winger. Closer to Bernardo/Coutinho is Isco. And Isco has played in midfield a lot of times for Madrid.

gasgas

Neymar is closer to a winger-striker, than midfielder-winger. Closer to Bernardo/Coutinho is Isco. And Isco has played in midfield a lot of times for Madrid.

I disagree, they are closer to Hazard/Neymar more than Isco

Madrid used to try to mould Isco as a Modric replacement it didn't work [MENTION=18429]Morten[/MENTION] can help us here

And whenever I have seen Isco play this season was either in the front three or as the most forward of a midfield four. (Like Messi in a diamond)

Never as a CM

Raketa10

MIDFIELD
For starters i used to have Dahoud in mind but now he's taken
Best fits: Verratti, Koke

The rest: Kimmich, Weigl, Saul, Bazoer, Keita (not so bad perhaps),Lemar, Neves,

RB: Aurier, Sidibe, Fabinho etc

So how is Lemar any different than Bernardo?! He just plays on the opposite side. If Bernardo isn't a CM than Lemar for sure also isn't, not to mention he is more run'n gun type of player.

And regarding Verratti are you avare he IS NOT FOR SALE? I can't uderstand why people keep on mentioning him? It's like saying we should buy Modric. It just won't happen.

And regarding Fabinho as RB, sorry but he is much better as DM and even there he isn't perfect.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Assuming you agree Barca needs a change in midfield who would you want signed?

There aren't many currently.

In a perfect long term scenario, I would buy Verratti plus one at least semi-muscled Cm in the future.
Plus, our next Cdm needs to be stronger than Busi, long term.

That doesn't mean that Busi wasn't awesome.
He was, but in a different era with Xavi-Busi-Iniesta and technical era which is long behind us.

Our attacking line should also have at least one taller/stronger Cf and at least one winger who can sometimes head the ball.
Assuming that those guys will be technical players, and not only muscled guys, you are getting:
1. good old technical Barca
2. way more height and muscles (Cms, Cdm, 1-2 attackers, LB NOT named Alba, 2 strong Cbs)
3. you are getting a plan B right away since you can play shortpasses, througballs, 1-2s, dribbles PLUS some longballs, crosses, you can score with headers after set pieces
4. also, with killing MSN longterm, you will get an attacking line which you can rotate, plus you will get an option to have a 4th striker with totally different skills as a plan B or even a plan C

In a current team, you don't have any of these 4 points (except a No1 to some extent).

Last edited:

Raketa10

I watched him carefully again yesterday.

In the attack and buildup he is great, has great work rate, great ball control and he always tries to find space. He is a joy to watch attack wise. But two things are worrying.

1. He was a ghost in defense, I don't know if this is a tactical decision that he plays only attack wise or not but he was really really bad in defense. He basically stopped running every time a player passed him. He didn't even try to press for majority of the game.

2. His fitness, I am not sure if this is due to the fact he is dead tired from the long season since this is his first year of playing on this level or something else but he basically lost his pace after first 45 min.

I haven't watched Monaco from the beginning of the season, I started watching them few months ago so I don't know if this is his usual way of playing or just accumulated fatigue from long season. In last couple of games he definitely wasn't so inactive in defense.

Last edited:

Raketa10

Coutinho is at least 2 level better than Bernardo Silva
i hope we prefer coutinho

Can you explain in which parts of the game is he 2 levels better? I am not saying he isn't better but it would be nice from you to explain this statement by giving some examples and facts.

Espacio

Can you explain in which parts of the game is he 2 levels better? I am not saying he isn't better but it would be nice from you to explain this statement by giving some examples and facts.

I don't say that for Juventus-Monaco match
Generally
Coutinho is better than Silva in driblings
Coutinho is better than Silva in shootings
Coutinho is better than Silva in leadership
And last one Coutinho is playing in EPL and Silva is playing in Ligue1
Premier league is more difficult than Ligue1
And also Coutinho is effecting scores in big matches more than Silva

I hope i could explain :)

Raketa10

I don't say that for Juventus-Monaco match
Generally
Coutinho is better than Silva in driblings
Coutinho is better than Silva in shootings
Coutinho is better than Silva in leadership
And last one Coutinho is playing in EPL and Silva is playing in Ligue1
Premier league is more difficult than Ligue1
And also Coutinho is effecting scores in big matches more than Silva

I hope i could explain :)

:facepalm:

Better in driblings, shootings and leadership? Effecting scores in big matches more than Silva?

And Premier league is more difficult than Ligue 1? Those are your reasons?

Sorry but how old are you? 12?

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans