Barca Transfers and Rumors

Messi983

"The will of the management board is to NOT make a move for Memphis Depay before the elections. They want to leave everything ready for the new president"

Thank you

https://twitter.com/HagridFCB/status/1326228525372887041

Why are you against signing him? I like Braithwaite but Memphis would be a clear upgrade over him. And he's the one who would need to leave if we'd sign Depay. With Fati out until February/March and who knows how long he'll need to get back in form we could use another attacking option imo.

Memphis/Fati--Coutinho/Pedri - Dembele/Trincao; Messi/Griezmann would be a pretty good rotation for forward 4 positions with all players being flexible and able to play more than one position.

As for the next season, Messi could still be set on leaving regardless of what happens. Griezmann, Coutinho and/or Dembele could leave (one or more of them). Trincao could be loaned or sold if he won't make a breakthrough this season. So the only attacking players who are 100% guaranteed to stay right now would be Pedri and Fati imo. And Pedri's future is surely in midfield if/when we'll go back to 4-3-3 which could already happen next season.

But getting Memphis now would in no way prevent us from signing a true striker like Haaland (highly unlikely) or another one if we'll have money. If we won't then we could do a lot worse than having Memphis as a squad player for a season or two until we find someone better.

Rory

I'd sign him purely because Koeman wants him. If you don't back your manager what hope has he got? It's not a signing that'll ruin us financially (anymore than we already are).

Messi983

MD says Barca believes we could get him for 5-6m. So a total cost for the club for the rest of this season would be less than 1m and whatever (half) of his wages would be.

Messi983

Looking at the list of interesting U23 players with expiring contracts over the next two seasons.

- Gigi Donnarumma - won't happen
- Eric Garcia - I'm sure we'll sign him either in January or on a free next summer
- Giovanni Reyna - wouldn't mind him on a free but BVB probably won't let that happen
- Marcos Paulo - could be a Barca B signing with a possible first team future
- Brandon Soppy - not needed anymore now that we've signed Dest but I've liked what I've seen from him
- Brian Brobbey - quite highly rated Ajax striker, probably won't be available for free as Ajax will keep him

- Kylian Mbappe - won't happen
- Eduardo Camavinga - will surely be sold next summer and almost guaranteed not to us
- Franck Kessie - he's doing well for Milan and they're building a solid young team so I doubt they'll let him go
- Boubacar Kamara - I'd try to sign him next summer
- Dominik Szoboszlai - really like him but he'll most likely leave Salzburg already this winter and we won't be in for him
- Luiz Felipe - he was linked to us as a potential CB target a few times already. I prefer other players but I wouldn't mind him either for a solid price
- Boubakary Soumare - could be an option for the midfield but will probably be too expensive (for what we'll be able/willing to spend on a midfielder with other needs)
- Kang In-Lee - inconsistent but the talent is there and if a fire-sale at Valencia will continue why not try to get him?
- Mohamed Ihattaren - with Pedri (and Puig) already here I doubt we'll look for another young attacking midfielder but wouldn't mind him. Raiola is his agent though.
- Faitout Maouassa - I've liked him a few times I've watched him, could be worth monitoring as a potential longterm Alba replacement although I have quite high hopes for Balde
- Adam Hlozek - could be well worth a risk as a future striker (would probably need to be loaned to get experience at a higher level he's currently playing at first though) if we could get him for cheap but a lot of teams will be after him so that's unlikely. And moving to a smaller developing and selling club will be smarter for him than a straight jump to a big club.
- Lassina Traore - he has established himself in Ajax's first team in recent weeks, surely worth following

Andresito

Staff member
Looking at the list of interesting U23 players with expiring contracts over the next two seasons.

- Gigi Donnarumma - won't happen
- Eric Garcia - I'm sure we'll sign him either in January or on a free next summer
- Giovanni Reyna - wouldn't mind him on a free but BVB probably won't let that happen
- Marcos Paulo - could be a Barca B signing with a possible first team future
- Brandon Soppy - not needed anymore now that we've signed Dest but I've liked what I've seen from him
- Brian Brobbey - quite highly rated Ajax striker, probably won't be available for free as Ajax will keep him

- Kylian Mbappe - won't happen
- Eduardo Camavinga - will surely be sold next summer and almost guaranteed not to us
- Franck Kessie - he's doing well for Milan and they're building a solid young team so I doubt they'll let him go
- Boubacar Kamara - I'd try to sign him next summer
- Dominik Szoboszlai - really like him but he'll most likely leave Salzburg already this winter and we won't be in for him
- Luiz Felipe - he was linked to us as a potential CB target a few times already. I prefer other players but I wouldn't mind him either for a solid price
- Boubakary Soumare - could be an option for the midfield but will probably be too expensive (for what we'll be able/willing to spend on a midfielder with other needs)
- Kang In-Lee - inconsistent but the talent is there and if a fire-sale at Valencia will continue why not try to get him?
- Mohamed Ihattaren - with Pedri (and Puig) already here I doubt we'll look for another young attacking midfielder but wouldn't mind him. Raiola is his agent though.
- Faitout Maouassa - I've liked him a few times I've watched him, could be worth monitoring as a potential longterm Alba replacement although I have quite high hopes for Balde
- Adam Hlozek - could be well worth a risk as a future striker (would probably need to be loaned to get experience at a higher level he's currently playing at first though) if we could get him for cheap but a lot of teams will be after him so that's unlikely. And moving to a smaller developing and selling club will be smarter for him than a straight jump to a big club.
- Lassina Traore - he has established himself in Ajax's first team in recent weeks, surely worth following

Could maybe add Upamecano to that list even if he technically has a contract until 2023.
His 42M clause is basically on a discount that a club would have to pay if he'd have 1 year left on his contract.

soul24rage

Why are you against signing him? I like Braithwaite but Memphis would be a clear upgrade over him. And he's the one who would need to leave if we'd sign Depay. With Fati out until February/March and who knows how long he'll need to get back in form we could use another attacking option imo.

Memphis/Fati--Coutinho/Pedri - Dembele/Trincao; Messi/Griezmann would be a pretty good rotation for forward 4 positions with all players being flexible and able to play more than one position.

As for the next season, Messi could still be set on leaving regardless of what happens. Griezmann, Coutinho and/or Dembele could leave (one or more of them). Trincao could be loaned or sold if he won't make a breakthrough this season. So the only attacking players who are 100% guaranteed to stay right now would be Pedri and Fati imo. And Pedri's future is surely in midfield if/when we'll go back to 4-3-3 which could already happen next season.

But getting Memphis now would in no way prevent us from signing a true striker like Haaland (highly unlikely) or another one if we'll have money. If we won't then we could do a lot worse than having Memphis as a squad player for a season or two until we find someone better.

I mentioned in the Fati's thread on Depay to hopefully clarify my position better. Post #2148

http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/15648-22-Anssumane-Fati?p=2237302#post2237302

I really don't think we need Depay for this season because we still have enough options even with Fati's injury.

If Braithwaite leaves for some amount this winter and we use that $ for the transfer fee for Depay, then I'm fine with that.

But for me, we could use that money to improve our financial situation (it looks really bad from what I can tell) and we can still get Depay for free this summer.

Andresito

Staff member
It's not like Depay will be the difference maker during the second half of the season. Better save the money and get him for free if we're so desperate to get him.

I'm already set that this is a transisitional year with the elections. Koeman will have to do with what we have. When the new board comes and a concrete plan is set we can start buying proper players.

Messi983

Again, I'm not saying we should pay a big fee for him but for 5m I would get him in January as I think he could help us immediately (and what's more important adapt to the team before next season). His transfer cost for this half season would be less than 1m. He has apparently also agreed a contract with the club with initial lower wages in first 1,5 years.

I think we'll sell MB to EPL, maybe also Firpo to Italy and probably loan Umtiti somewhere to offload his wages so we could easily afford to add Memphis and possibly Garcia.

JohnN

We should sell Firpo no matter if we use that money or not. It's sad to see a player of that level in a Barca shirt, even if the team is not what it used to be.

Andresito

Staff member
Again, I'm not saying we should pay a big fee for him but for 5m I would get him in January as I think he could help us immediately (and what's more important adapt to the team before next season). His transfer cost for this half season would be less than 1m. He has apparently also agreed a contract with the club with initial lower wages in first 1,5 years.

I think we'll sell MB to EPL, maybe also Firpo to Italy and probably loan Umtiti somewhere to offload his wages so we could easily afford to add Memphis and possibly Garcia.

Money is the lesser issue. But considering money is tight, every penny counts.

The big problem with signing Depay is, is he a player we want in our squad long term or is he a fetisch of Koeman whom we won't be able to get rid of when he's going to be considered a dead weight in the squad?

That's why I don't want any transfers now. Hold on 6 months and wait for the new president to arrive with a plan and strategy. Instead of adding players which we might have to clear out soon.

mc_lovin

I dont think Depay will be dead weight with or without Koeman. Perfect age, versatile, cheap. Hes not worldclass, but the next best thing. Can easily rotate with Fati (who badly needs a backup) and hopefully a new CF.

I genuinely hope we get rid of Braithwaite, Griezmann and Coutinho this winter/summer. That leaves us with Trincao, Fati, Dembele and Messi - with the latter two being big questionmarks as well. Depay just makes a lot of sense.

Messigician

📰 ? Shkodran Mustafi, Germ?n Pezzella and Federico Fazio are all centre-back options on the table for Bar?a as they look for an experienced defender in January for a low price. [sport]

Messigician

🚨 Emili Rousaud has presented his candidacy for the presidential elections. Says that he promises the signing of Neymar.

My president...

Home of Barca Fans