Aymeric Laporte

Andresito

Staff member
He has never played for France, why wouldn't he be allowed to play for Spain?

Hmm, it's a weird new rule. Apparently a player is locked to a nation if he plays an official game past the age of 21, even if it's U21 or U23. In many U21 tournaments there are usually 22 year olds playing, which has been the case of Borna Sosa.
Laporte played for U21 but never as a 22 year old. He played his last U21 game at age of 21 on 24 March. He turns 22 in May so the rule doesn't apply to him. Seems a bit unfair to those born early in the year.

Yannik

Hmm, it's a weird new rule. Apparently a player is locked to a nation if he plays an official game past the age of 21, even if it's U21 or U23. In many U21 tournaments there are usually 22 year olds playing, which has been the case of Borna Sosa.
Laporte played for U21 but never as a 22 year old. He played his last U21 game at age of 21 on 24 March. He turns 22 in May so it's a close call there.

21 is excluded, not included though. Basically your 21st birthday is the deadline, therefor Laporte was above it which is why I am confused as to how this is possible..

Andresito

Staff member
21 is excluded, not included though. Basically your 21st birthday is the deadline, therefor Laporte was above it which is why I am confused as to how this is possible..

That's more logical.

So that means Laporte shouldn't be able to switch. All I've read is that he's going to switch, not that it's been confirmed.

Yannik

That's more logical.

So that means Laporte shouldn't be able to switch. All I've read is that he's going to switch, not that it's been confirmed.

Yeah, from the way I understand it Laporte would not be allowed to switch. So I would assume it wont happen.
But then again their updated laws are a 1k page PDF, and I'm not totally excluding the possibility that I'm missing some detail or loophole here that for whatever reason deems it legal. So if anyone can fill in here and explain how or why Laporte would get a permission here then I'd appreciate that.

Last edited:

Messi983

Didn't know about this rule and it's stupid imo. Criteria should be appearances for NT not age. If you play for one senior NT team you shouldn't switch to another if you're 18 or 25. But if you've never played for a senior NT in official game (I'd exclude friendlies here) then you should be allowed to play for whoever you want.

Andresito

Staff member
Didn't know about this rule and it's stupid imo. Criteria should be appearances for NT not age. If you play for one senior NT team you shouldn't switch to another if you're 18 or 25. But if you've never played for a senior NT in official game (I'd exclude friendlies here) then you should be allowed to play for whoever you want.

I think something inbetween would be fair.
Munir is a good example.

He was 19 at the time and it's hard to say no or to predict that you won't be picked again so can't really blame him for choosing Spain.

IMO only competitive senior games should count and after a certain age like 21, or a number of games like 3 which usually means the player is called up on two separate occasions.
Ansu with his 4 Nations League games would then be locked to Spain. Munir wouldn't, and neither would Laporte.

Vilarrubi

Didn’t know about new rule either.

Diego Costa had played 2 senior games for Brazil before he switched to Spain, must have been before new rule.

Andresito

Staff member
Didn’t know about new rule either.

Diego Costa had played 2 senior games for Brazil before he switched to Spain, must have been before new rule.

Costa's Brazil games were friendlies, I think he could've switched to Spain with today's rules as well as the old ones.

Porque

Nah, let national teams be able to transfer players. Give the national team shirt sponsors with a cut going to FIFA and a cut to Neymars dad.

Let's fully commercialize this shit.

Birdy

Rumours we are interested in this man!

God make it happen!
He is class on and off the ball.
Like a million times upgrade on limited and full or errors Lenglet..

Send Roberto and some other fodder the other way..

Araujo-Laporte to be our starting pair next season is a million times upgrade from the CL comedy duo Pique-Lenglet

vuji_31

He was linked before with us , but his contract is until 2025.

He will not be cheap.

Our best chance is he wants to leave, since Dias and Stones are now starting.

No way city will accept roberto and some small fee.

I belive there is 20% chance for this transfer.

Birdy

He was linked before with us , but his contract is until 2025.

He will not be cheap.

Our best chance is he wants to leave, since Dias and Stones are now starting.

No way city will accept roberto and some small fee.

I belive there is 20% chance for this transfer.

He wants to go.
He has been disappointed to fall behind Stones in the pecking order

Birdy

We are cash-ridden, so only players and a minimal fee.

Roberto is one, can't think of any other Pep would welcome as a rotational option.

Home of Barca Fans