Aymeric Laporte

ScoobySquats

I remember watching the game vs Athletic, i believe last seasons first match or the season before. He kept Messi quiet most of the match. He isn't a stupid defender, he know's where to position himself and makes good use of his physique, which at 6'2 is the ideal CB mold. To answer your question, he is neither. I don't want enough of him to say what he is exactly, but the times i have seen him he has looked a mix of both, more so on the intelligent defender aspect.

Qqqq

Varane isn't that intelligent a player, but his impressive speed tends to save his ass when he gets caught out of position. Laporte is undoubtably superior in that aspect of the game.

EDIT: Varane's reliance on his (insane) speed is actually quite easy to document:

[youtube]3ydgDX879yQ[/youtube]

Last edited:

DrPepper

Varane indeed has his tremendous physique, mobility and speed to bail him out when needed. But moments as this are rare and most of the time he gets his job done by being in the right place. He's no Thiago Silva (who is, though?) but for me he's already way ahead of Ramos in that aspect and probably better than Pepe as well. Keep in mind he's only 22.

khaled_a_d

Snubbed by Deschamps again.

Can see Spain try to snatch him soon.

Doubt it ,he will get his chance after the Euro .but right now with France being host of the tournament I think Deschamps is right tbh .there are many more proven players there .Laporte better suited for the U-21 team now and will get his chance in a year
And if he is willing to be loyal to Bilbao and giving them those insane buyouts ,I highly doubt he will be disloyal to France and play for another country

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Doubt it ,he will get his chance after the Euro .but right now with France being host of the tournament I think Deschamps is right tbh .there are many more proven players there .Laporte better suited for the U-21 team now and will get his chance in a year
And if he is willing to be loyal to Bilbao and giving them those insane buyouts ,I highly doubt he will be disloyal to France and play for another country

You're probably right about the last bit.

I do however think he's more deserving of a place than Mangala atleast. He's their best U21 CB and the Captain of that team, yet can't seem to buy a call-up in a friendly even when others are injured. 30 year old uncapped CB Loïc Perrin was selected as Sakho's replacement. He might be good and be having a very good season though, don't really know much about him.

Deschamps is apparently(not sure, but from what I've read) being criticized for it in France too.

Laporte is injured now anyway.

khaled_a_d

You're probably right about the last bit.

I do however think he's more deserving of a place than Mangala atleast. He's their best U21 CB and the Captain of that team, yet can't seem to buy a call-up in a friendly even when others are injured. 30 year old uncapped CB Loïc Perrin was selected as Sakho's replacement. He might be good and be having a very good season though, don't really know much about him.

Deschamps is apparently(not sure, but from what I've read) being criticized for it in France too.

Laporte is injured now anyway.

I think unless rebuilding there is maximum amount of youth players in the NT ,experience factor is huge for National Teams
.France already has 2 young players in Zouma and Varane in his position who are same age with more playing experience in terms of playing with big teams ,had those guys weren't there he should have been called .but 3 U-23 CBs is just too young for a NT IMHO
edit :just noticed Zouma isn't called

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I think unless rebuilding there is maximum amount of youth players in the NT ,experience factor is huge for National Teams
.France already has 2 young players in Zouma and Varane in his position who are same age with more playing experience in terms of playing with big teams ,had those guys weren't there he should have been called .but 3 U-23 CBs is just too young for a NT IMHO
edit :just noticed Zouma isn't called

Fair point.

dostoevskij

he could play LB too as an alternative if Alba is injured or needs to rest some games, because i hope their will be no Adriano any more, and Mathieu if he stays only as a CB

Xavinho

Was not at all impressed by his performance away to Granada. Started the match with an own goal, and then in the second half gave the ball away very cheaply which led to Granada's second goal.

[youtube]_24A139NWnw[/youtube]

Home of Barca Fans