Aymeric Laporte

JamDav1982

I didn't say Gimenez is faster because I know Laporte is faster ,but he is fast enough for our defense .I think he much stronger though .
Laporte has bigger potential ,but right now I don't thin he is better ,he has a lot of areas to improve . he has the perfect physical tools and skillset but the later isn't developed enough IMHO .and there is always a question if it is gonna develop enough until it happens
If he was gonna cost cost 35-40M I would have said he is worth taking the risk.but for that insane buyout? he has put himself out of anyone reach imo when he renewed .again 50M + taxes will make him the most expensive defender in the history by some margin

How much do you think Gimenez would go for?

The price is not really the debate anyway it is purely about who is the player more suited to Barca.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Gimenez' buyout is 40m with Atletico looking to beef it up. Most likely won't cost any less than Laporte come summer.

JamDav1982

Why the fuck he even renewed. Fecking mendes destroyed his career, money hungry guy

Destroyed his career?

He is still very young, playing every week and learning his trade.

If he was a 'money hungry guy' he would have been better served NOT renewing and going to any number of EPL clubs that would pay him insane money.

Jombi

Never denied they were costly ,but Laporte was simply out of our price range

I do agree with you that Laporte is massively overpriced and I dont want him for anywhere near that sum. I do however think that the fact that we have given two aging CBs long term contracts with a high wage shows that our staff must have considered that we had alot of money to splash on a CB. The wage we have given them is just as high as the transfer fee. It could have been better to buy only one CB instead of paying the wages for 2 CBs.

Last edited:

Jombi

I think Samuel Umtiti from Lyon would be better option for us. He could be our new Eric Abidal. He can also play LB, is a leftie which our coaches always love (and we want to get someone for the LCB position after all) and is great at bringing the ball out from the back. The problem is that Lucho and our staff probably have never heard of him as we prefer PSG and Arsenal players.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

I think Samuel Umtiti from Lyon would be better option for us. He could be our new Eric Abidal. He can also play LB, is a leftie which our coaches always love (and we want to get someone for the LCB position after all) and is great at bringing the ball out from the back. The problem is that Lucho and our staff probably have never heard of him as we prefer PSG and Arsenal players.

Our negotiations with players agents has been epic fail ,if we have signed Laporte or anyone else we would have given him big wage too most likely

Jombi

Our negotiations with players agents has been epic fail ,if we have signed Laporte or anyone else we would have given him big wage too most likely

Would we have given him the same wage as Pique though? Verma and Mathieu combined are on the same wage as Pique. I think part of our problem is that many of the players we go for cant believe it when they hear that Barca is after them. Like, Mathieu, he thought it was some sick joke. And Valencia laugh and sign Mustafi for 8m as the replacement a week later. We need to improve our transfer dealings.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I'll soon assume the control of this thread.

First thing on the agenda is to ban [MENTION=11668]khaled_a_d[/MENTION] from this thread indefinitely until/unless he plead allegiance to Aymeric Laporte.

J

Jamie Cal

No,Laporte accepted renewal b4 June and his buyout turned to 42M,add taxes and that was around 50M or more .
even if not it was 36M b4 renewal and with tax that is more than 42
Vermaelen so far costed only 10M.unless we win another 2 CL that he plays into ,and plays a certain amount of games he won't cost more .
Mathieu on paper costed 20M ,but what people forgot that we didn't accept to pay more than 17 and that was deal breaker ,Mathieu decided to take pay cut from his wages so the 3M will be paid from it .so basically the deal for the club was just 17M
so that is more like 27M vs 42 .in a season we had to pay for the likes of Suarez ,Rakitic,Bravo,MATS .I would have loved that the 10M of Vermaelen and 4M of Douglas was spent for better player but Laporte was just out of our financial ability
Now,if we are gonna say that those 27M was paid for someone who was actually good enough to be starter immediately and cost same 27M like Benatia?

We would have had no money for Neymar ,and Javi was gonna be a bench player .he isn't better than Busquets and he is literally an awful fit for a CB with Pique

50M buyout + taxes
Does anyone like him enough to make him the most expensive defender BY FAR ?

Sure the extra fees would be very small if the buyout is paid? I think that was the case with Atleti paying Vietto's, or else they paid a little extra to negate all that.

J

Jamie Cal

As for price, I don't think it's out of our price range to spend big coin on 2 players, because that's all we need, 2 starting players. And especially after the transfer embargo.

DrPepper

Since I don't watch Athletic that often; what type of defender is he actually? The one a la Ramos or Mascherano who likes to step out of his back line and tackle the hell out of his opposition (but in the end relies on his physique to get his job done) or someone like Varane or Thiago Silva who completely annihilates his opposition simply by being intelligent and in the right place at the right time?

Home of Barca Fans