Arthur

serghei

Dowwpl-XsAALAHe.jpg

https://twitter.com/CruyffThoughts/status/1048266355147988992

It's kinda funny looking at this picture now considering when people post images like this it's usually Busi going deep like that to get the ball most of the time or Iniesta when he was here for the past couple of seasons.

Arthur should start even for this reason alone. That shape is great. Midfield 3 are narrow and width is ensured by fullbacks. This is the main reason why we were able to have much better ball circulation than in other games.

Gnidrologist

Arthur should start even for this reason alone. That shape is great. Midfield 3 are narrow and width is ensured by fullbacks. This is the main reason why we were able to have much better ball circulation than in other games.
That's the thing. We were always slow circulating into opponent's final third by help of busi/inesta/xavi. When we're already there, options open up. Arthur seems to understand that philosophy very well and even without triangle pushing coach, he himself always puts him in a triengle position instinctively. As previous posters had said, that's something you cannot train. It's there or it's not. Honing the passing accuracy and audacity is just a matter of time as he already is very sharp passer anyway, just too intimidated by the Barca crew, which is a great leap from Gremio. Still, cannot loose the ball, which is an asset in itself.

xXKonan

People talk about some of the things like creativity going forward but I wouldn't be all that surprised if Valverde uses the Midfield with him in it as pure controlling role while Coutinho, Messi, Dembele, Alba, Roberto/Semedo handling the creative stuff.

Arthur is in the Xavi role without a lot of creative duties, Busi being Busi and Rakitic/Vidal being in the old Ketia role. the way I'm talking about it seems like a weird morph of Pep's Barca and Lucho's Barca. you will try and have the control the way we use to but rely a a lot on the Fullbacks and front three with create stuff.

How it works we do not know though.

Gnidrologist

I think that even if Arthur stays as pure midcontroller, he's still an asset. He allows Messi and Coutinho to stay put in their starting positions in the final third, because they know that somehow ball will come to them sooner or later. Busi and Arthur will guaranty that. Previously the whole burden of this was on Busi, because no Raki nor any other of our makeshift CMs could do that. I think people who underrate Arthur's contributions don't understand Xavi's influence on our past football either. They only remember piercing passes, but what made Spain invincible in past decade was his presence in the CM mastermind role, the chameleon eyes octopus (tm)Roy Hudson. If Artur can bring even only this aspect to out game, it's already great. I have no doubt that he will become more assertive with his passing as he grows into the starting line up and plays regularly. Even against buses his ability to wiggle around and open up passing lanes willbe great relief for our attacking daggers. Raki, with all due respect, can't do that and our other mids are mostly attackers, who also need someone like Arthur or Busi to deliver ball to them in final third. When they need to come back deep to have a lick of the ball, we lose all positive dynamic of our offense.
I only hope that he doesn't go the usual brazilian route of complacency. but he seems to be a very serious guy like Dunga was as a player.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He's also 22 years old. There's a lot of time for him to develop a skillset of making those through passes or more creative forward passes. There are already people that condemned him after one game and now there are people wishing he fails so they can prove a point.

Some of the peeps here need to calm down. It's like they expect a player at this age to be the complete package like Messi was. Same guys who were claiming Bravo would play for Barca until he was 40 and that ter Stegen was a dud. Now one is irrelevant while the other is a top 3 GK in the World and still only in his mid-20s.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

Yeah, i think making a dependency on 'certified veterans' is a no go for Barca style football. We will always be mediocre like we were even at the top of Rivaldo's peak. Everything depended on him in that time. I like Arthur, because he brings that team style of play back. We were at our best, when we destroyed notorious teams by our sheer control in the midfield. That is what Arthur may bring back. Let's hope. :pedro:

xXKonan

We couldn't just keep buying B2B/CAM Midfielders and stick them in the middle and expect Busi to do the heavy lifting when it comes to keeping our Midfield shape and possession. Iniesta didn't have the legs anymore to be effective on a daily basis as he once did and Rakitic has his own skill set but he doesn't have the skill set to be able to help shoulder some of Busi's work load like Xavi and Iniesta could do.

You need a controller like CM in the middle to go along with your Busi. Having someone like Arthur in the middle with Busi, can take a lot of pressure off Busi and Rakitic to do what they can do best without having to worry about being forced into situations they aren't comfortable with and in turn allows the rest of the team to thrive as well and not be handicapped.

You know the best thing about Arthur? his type is pretty compatible with all sorts of different Midfield styles. Box to Box, Destroyer DMs, CAMs etc you name it. He's the Glue that helps put it all together.

gasgas

So our best current lineup is

......busi
.vidal....Arthur
messi.suarez.cou

hope in the future we can play something like

....oriel
arthur..de jong
........puig
striker....coutinho

other teams will never see the ball

Home of Barca Fans