Arsenal

JamDav1982

How come Benzema played 85 minutes in Spain vs France last year and failed? Giroud came on with 5 minutes left and equalised!
oh, we will make the CL, for sure. We will have a lot more results like Aston Villa and some bad runs but I'm confident we'll make top 4.
We should wait for there to be more world class strikers on the market.

That is one of the worst examples I have ever seen put forward for arguing who is a better player.

It is highly unlikely that any world class strikers that come available will end up at Arsenal.

There is world class strikers, then there is a huge list of stikers before you come to Giroud.

Irish_Cules

Who? Higuain and Soldado are not the world class strikers we're looki ng for.
It speaks volumes that we were after Suarez for so long. Probably the only world class striker on the market. He has a very bad reputation, he's received loads of bans, including being suspended for the first 6 matches of the season, and yet Liverpool wanted £60m from us to purchase him.

Arsenal can't attract the very best strikers out there but the likes of Soladado or Higuain would have been a great boost to your squad. Capoue, Paulinho or Gustavo would have been perfect signings for your midfield. It's debatable whether these are truly top quality players but they were the best available this summer and would have undoubtedly strengthened the Arsenal team.

Ketoth

Giroud first season with Arsenal: 17 goals, 10 assists
Benzema first season with Real Madrid: 9 goals, 4 assists
Higuain first season with Real Madrid: 2 goals, 3 assists
Soldado first season with Valencia: 25 goals, 3 assists

Is that a fair example?

Ketoth

Gustavo recently got sent off in a 2-0 loss for Wolfsburg. I didn't watch it but I immediately thought 'glad we missed that boat'.

JamDav1982

Giroud first season with Arsenal: 17 goals, 10 assists
Benzema first season with Real Madrid: 9 goals, 4 assists
Higuain first season with Real Madrid: 2 goals, 3 assists
Soldado first season with Valencia: 25 goals, 3 assists

Is that a fair example?

Haha no its not fair at all.

Look at the ages of the players in those first seasons and if they were considered the number one striker for their team.

Look at their career goals and what intl records will give you a better idea.

Giroud is 4th best on that list in quality by a long way.

Irish_Cules

Gustavo recently got sent off in a 2-0 loss for Wolfsburg. I didn't watch it but I immediately thought 'glad we missed that boat'.

Too bad Arsenal are missing all of the boats and aren't going anywhere. I have a soft spot for Arsenal but this summer has been an embarrassment for him.

Ketoth

Fact is, the market is bare. We need top quality and that's not around. Mata would be lovely but Chelsea would NEVER sell him to us. Not unless we offer something crazy like £50m.

Ketoth

Haha no its not fair at all.

Look at the ages of the players in those first seasons and if they were considered the number one striker for their team.

Look at their career goals and what intl records will give you a better idea.

Giroud is 4th best on that list in quality by a long way.

Giroud was 24, Benzema was 21/22, Higuain was 17/18. Solado was 25/26
You've got to factor in the fact that the EPL is much stronger than la liga. It is much harder to score. We play a 3 striker system so he's not really the main man. Something that works Higuain and Benzema's way is that they have world class service. Also, Giroud doesn't take penalties.
So...

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Giroud was 24, Benzema was 21/22, Higuain was 17/18. Solado was 25/26
You've got to factor in the fact that the EPL is much stronger than la liga. It is much harder to score. We play a 3 striker system so he's not really the main man. Something that works Higuain and Benzema's way is that they have world class service. So...

La Liga much easier?

Just look at Aguero, Torres, Cazorla, Mata, Michu, De Guzmann etc all of whoms stats have gone up in the EPL rather than in La Liga.

Ages wise Giroud was 26 for the majority of the season not 24.

He will be 27 soon and once in his career scored more than 12 league goals in a season in a top league.

Ketoth

Giroud had a good season, and he will be much better this season. We don't need Higuain/Benzema/Soldado. Like I said, we should save the money for a year, maybe there will be a few more world class strikers on the market?

JamDav1982

Giroud had a good season, and he will be much better this season. We don't need Higuain/Benzema/Soldado. Like I said, we should save the money for a year, maybe there will be a few more world class strikers on the market?

He had a decent season. 11 goals in 34 league games is not that great.

Jenks

We have money but there are no players. Not the players we need, not top quality players, and at a reasonable price. The market is bare.

You need depth as well as quality. There are loads of players out there that would strengthen Arsenal and well within your means too, you just have a piss poor transfer policy.

Robbie

Not even trying and seeing all our rivals leave us behind is sickening. Don't bother listening to Ketoth, he'd find a positive way to spin relegation if it happened to us.

Home of Barca Fans