Argentina

zanela

Joppe reminds me of Hamzah when the latter was the forum's baby poster. And I don't say that in a bad way.

King Leo

Banned
Having now seen all the big teams play, I think Argentina needs to step up their game ten-folds. What worries me is that Iran wont be much of a test.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Having now seen all the big teams play, I think Argentina needs to step up their game ten-folds. What worries me is that Iran wont be much of a test.

With 10 men in their own half defending I think it'll be a good test how to break the bus.

Darko

lol, what?
only Germany looked impressive so far, Brazil look too dependant on Neymar and were lucky against Croatia, Mexico gave them a real scare and yeah, praise Ochoa's heroics all you want but Mexico looked like the better side
Netherlands demolished Spain, sure, but against Australia they were outplayed until their 2nd goal totally deflated Australia
Portugal... :lol:
France looked good, but they played agaist Honduras, by far the worst looking team in this tournament so far
Chile was awesome and they got the Sex, but their "suicidal" approach is not suited to a knock out touranament, they lack height and are known for not converting their dominance into goals, conceding a few along the way
Switzerland's game was very static and slow, Spain-esque, and they easily could have lost the game in the dying moments instead of winning it
Belgium hasn't impressed me either, but they can be a true force in the next World Cup/Euros
and haven't seen the Italy game so can't really say anything about them

So while I do agree that Argentina need to up their game, "ten-folds" is an exaggeration, they looked poor in attack, their best area which will surely improve, and looked solid in defensive organisation, their weakest area. And the Maxi experiment, leaving Argentina with just one midfielder in Mascherano, surely won't happen again.

King Leo

Banned
lol, what?
only Germany looked impressive so far, Brazil look too dependant on Neymar and were lucky against Croatia, Mexico gave them a real scare and yeah, praise Ochoa's heroics all you want but Mexico looked like the better side
Netherlands demolished Spain, sure, but against Australia they were outplayed until their 2nd goal totally deflated Australia
Portugal... :lol:
France looked good, but they played agaist Honduras, by far the worst looking team in this tournament so far
Chile was awesome and they got the Sex, but their "suicidal" approach is not suited to a knock out tournament, they lack height and are known for not converting their dominance into goals, conceding a few along the way
Switzerland's game was very static and slow, Spain-esque, and they easily could have lost the game in the dying moments instead of winning it
Belgium hasn't impressed me either, but they can be a true force in the next World Cup/Euros
and haven't seen the Italy game so can't really say anything about them

So while I do agree that Argentina need to up their game, "ten-folds" is an exaggeration, they looked poor in attack, their best area which will surely improve, and looked solid in defensive organisation, their weakest area. And the Maxi experiment, leaving Argentina with just one midfielder in Mascherano, surely won't happen again.

I agree Argentina's first game was mostly a tactical mistake by Sabella playing 5-3-2. This will be rectified in Saturday's game deploying a 4-3-3 with Messi drilling through the Iranian great wall.

However I dont think it's only a tactical change needed. Teams are running fast, with more accurate passing. Goalie's are being asked serious questions which I fear Romero wont have answer for. No room for defensive errors. All in all I think this world cup has seen higher quality football from the smaller teams and the big ones too (except for Spain). Also watch out for Germany, Italy and Brazil. They have much more to say.

The expected line-up for Saturday's game against Iran will be ROMERO; ZABALETA, GARAY, FERNANDEZ, ROJO; MASCHERANO, GAGO, DI MARIA; MESSI, AGUERO and HIGUAIN

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Killahead
The biggest opponents for Argentina are Argentina themselves. No room for hideous brainfarts both from the coach and the players when the time gets tough. Argentina most show at this tournament the chemistry as a team they've been lacking since Maradona's era.

Out there the biggest threat for Argentina is Germany. And I'm not just saying it because of their performance against Portugal but because of their World Cup history with Argentina (coming out as winners in their last 3 encounters in the WCs). Any team out there, I don't really think has anything above Argentina. Maybe only Brazil, because they're the host and they have the favoritism card on their side. Qualitywise no team except Germany has anything above Argentina.

Richard.H

The biggest opponents for Argentina are Argentina themselves. No room for hideous brainfarts both from the coach and the players when the time gets tough. Argentina most show at this tournament the chemistry as a team they've been lacking since Maradona's era.

Out there the biggest threat for Argentina is Germany. And I'm not just saying it because of their performance against Portugal but because of their World Cup history with Argentina (coming out as winners in their last 3 encounters in the WCs). Any team out there, I don't really think has anything above Argentina. Maybe only Brazil, because they're the host and they have the favoritism card on their side. Qualitywise no team except Germany has anything above Argentina.

Yeah, that's very true. Argentina has always been Germany's playing toys for as long as I've watched the WC.

I personally don't rate Argentina very highly. From what groups are their opponents in round of 16? if it's a top European side I could see them struggling.

L

linetty

Hey, Clocky, you need to change your sig man.

I mean, "TATA TIME!!"? Really?

:lol:

Alik

Doesn't Sabella remind you of Iniesta? :p

600full-alejandro-sabella.jpg

iniesta-432597.jpg

F

Flavia

He needs to sort that defense. Today it was hideous. The other forwards also need to start scoring.

Home of Barca Fans