Argentina

Temptation

That line up is too attack heavy imo and need more control midfield. Pastore is more of a CAM than an actual CM.

I would have something like this (4231)

Romer---Zabaleta, Demichelis, Samuel, Zanetti---Mascherano, Cambiasso---Messi, Riquelme, Di Maria---Milito

Against weaker teams Pastore can start. Against stronger teams, I'd go with Cambiasso.

I'm not sure about Riquelme's level in 2010? I'd definitely include Prime Tevez in the lineup. He was an all round beast at the time.

Would work with the makeshift nature of International tournament Football. If I was building for an entire season with a club side, I'd start Peak Riquelme. What about 2010 Riquelme though?

soul24rage

Against weaker teams Pastore can start. Against stronger teams, I'd go with Cambiasso.

I'm not sure about Riquelme's level in 2010? I'd definitely include Prime Tevez in the lineup. He was an all round beast at the time.

Would work with the makeshift nature of International tournament Football. If I was building for an entire season with a club side, I'd start Peak Riquelme. What about 2020 Riquelme though?
Riquelme was still good in 2010 and he and Messi clicked incredibly well. Only reason why Riquelme quit the national team before the WC2010 was (as you guessed it) Maradona.

If Milito didn't had an incredible 09/10 season, I would include maybe Tevez in the ST position. For me, Tevez dropped too much when a presence was more needed at the top.

Temptation

Riquelme was still good in 2010 and he and Messi clicked incredibly well. Only reason why Riquelme quit the national team before the WC2010 was (as you guessed it) Maradona.

If Milito didn't had an incredible 09/10 season, I would include maybe Tevez in the ST position. For me, Tevez dropped too much when a presence was more needed at the top.
Hmm.....Let's agree to disagree here. I'd still start Tevez and Milito in 2010 in a knockout format. Riquelme 2010 version on the bench. Comes in as a sub if we can't control the ball well enough.

Milito can be the presence up top and Tevez can drop deep and get in behind.

But the fact that we're in a selection dilemma tells you how stacked the player pool was for Argentina.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

@soul24rage @Temptation

🇦🇷 | 🎙️Angel Di María says on his biography about the World Cup tragedy of 2014:

🎙️"It was the morning of the 2014 World Cup Final, at exactly 11 a.m., and I was sitting on the trainer’s table about to get an injection in my leg. I had torn my thigh muscle in the quarterfinals, but with painkillers, I could run without feeling anything. I told our trainers these exact words: “If I break, then let me keep breaking. I don’t care. I just want to be able to play.”

🎙️"So I was putting ice on my leg when our team doctor, Daniel Martínez, came into the room holding this envelope, and he said, “Look, Ángel, this paper came from Real Madrid.”

🎙️I said, “What are you talking about?”

🗣️He said, “Well, they’re saying you’re not in any condition to play. So they are forcing us to not let you play today.”

🎙️"I immediately knew what was happening. Everybody had heard the rumors that Real wanted to sign James Rodríguez after the World Cup, and I knew that they were going to sell me to make room for him. So they didn’t want their asset to be damaged. It was that simple. That’s the business of football that people do not always see.

🎙️"I told Daniel to give me the letter. I didn’t even open it. I just ripped it into pieces and said, “Throw it away. The one who decides here is me.”

🎙️"I had not slept much the night before. Part of the reason was that the Brazilian fans were setting off huge fireworks outside of our hotel all night long, but even if it had been completely quiet, I don’t think I would’ve been able to sleep. It is impossible to explain the feeling you have on the night before a World Cup Final, when everything you ever dreamed about is right in front of your eyes."

🎙️"I sincerely wanted to play that day even if it ended my career. But I also didn’t want to make things complicated for our team. So I woke up early that morning and went to see our manager, Mr. Sabella. We had a very close relationship, so if I told him that I wanted to start, I knew that he would feel the pressure to put me in. I told him sincerely, with my hand on my heart, that he should put in the player that he felt he had to put in."

🎙️"I said, “If it’s me, it’s me. If it’s another, then it’s another. I just want to win the World Cup. If you call on me, I will play until I break.”

🎙️"And then I started crying. I couldn’t help it. The moment had overwhelmed me."

🎙️"When we had our team talk before the match, Sabella announced that Enzo Pérez was going to start, because he was 100% healthy. I was at peace with that decision. I treated myself with an injection before the match, and again during the second half, so that I would be ready to play if I was called from the bench."

🎙️"But the call never came. We lost the World Cup, and I couldn’t control anything. It was the most difficult day of my life. After the match, the media were saying ugly things about why I didn’t play. But what I’m telling you is the absolute truth."

🎙️"What still haunts me is the moment when I went to speak to Sabella, and I broke down in tears in front of him. Because I will always wonder if he thought that I was crying because I was nervous."

🎙️"In truth, it had nothing to do with nerves. I was overcome with emotion because of how much the moment meant to me. We were so close to achieving the impossible dream." 🇦🇷🏆💔

✍️Story from: [PlayersTribune]

📷: Noqib Al Hasan

Temptation

Football is a business first and foremost. Madrid had to protect their asset.

Di Maria did the right thing in hindsight. With that fitness level, he'd do fuckall against that Germany team.

People are way too soft and emotional these days. It's devastating for ADM from a personal pov but thinking he'd do anything on 1 leg against Germany is hilarious.

soul24rage

Brazil will be facing Spain and England, while Argentina, with all due respect, will be facing El Salvador and Nigeria when games vs European oppositions are now very limited from now to the WC26.

Thanks a lot Tapia

The only positive is the team will be playing in USA as both the Copa America and the World Cup 2026 will be played there and the players who are currently playing in the European leagues can get as much exposure as possible in terms of travelling to different states and stadiums and experiencing the new AFA complex in Miami.

Also, can't wait for the new Argentinian Jerseys.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
Football is a business first and foremost. Madrid had to protect their asset.

Di Maria did the right thing in hindsight. With that fitness level, he'd do fuckall against that Germany team.

People are way too soft and emotional these days. It's devastating for ADM from a personal pov but thinking he'd do anything on 1 leg against Germany is hilarious.
Actually agree with you here and first things that came to mind reading it. A bit of sensationalism at play here on account of Di Maria. Real clearly didn't want him to play because he was injured, not much else to it.

soul24rage

Alan Varela to be called up soon?
Not likley imo. With the Copa America squad only consisting of 23 players, it's pretty easy to surmise who those 23 players are unless their form is bad or they are injured and unfortunately Varela is not in the 23.

He's more likely to be in the Olympic squad and the U-23 will be trained separately in a different country iirc

Andresito

Staff member
Not likley imo. With the Copa America squad only consisting of 23 players, it's pretty easy to surmise who those 23 players are unless their form is bad or they are injured and unfortunately Varela is not in the 23.

He's more likely to be in the Olympic squad and the U-23 will be trained separately in a different country iirc
Yeah Scaloni most likely wants to keep most of the squad intact as not to disturb the good atmosphere.

But now that they will play friendlies Scaloni should at least try him out. Could be an upgrade to Paredes long-term.

soul24rage

The Copa America Champions, Finalissima Winners and the World Champions released the squad list for the March Friendlies!

GK: Armani, Benitez, Dibu
RB: Molina
CB: Pezzella, Perez, Otamendi, Romero, Senesi,
LB: Tagliafico, Barco

CDM: Paredes, MacAllister
CM: Palacios, RDP, Enzo, Lo Celso

LW: Nico Gonzalez, Garnacho
CAM: Valentin Carboni, Messi, Dybala
RW: Di Maria, Buonanotte

ST: Martinez, Alvarez

---------

- Very Surprised that with some of the youngsters who are playing in Europe called up, Soule wasn't included at all and will be called up for the U-23. Feel for the lad as he definitely deserved the call up in the senior team, but guess the plan was for him to participate in the Olympics. Seems like Carboni and Buonanotte didn't get permission for their clubs to be called up for the U-23 which is why they've probably been called up for the senior side
- Weird that a lot of CBs were called up but only 1 RB. Guess Montiel and Maffeo still hasn't recovered fully from their injuries.
- Very excited to see Barco, Garnacho, Carboni and Buonanotte play (especially Barco)
- Very happy to see Senesi' good performance in the Premier League be rewarded.

[IMG]

Windhook

Found this one released on HBO Max under the title Soccer Soul:mats:. All major players are interviewed including Messi, but Scaloni is not present in this, only archival footage from Qatar 2022.

Home of Barca Fans