Argentina

Temptation

True, the death of the #10 position is what Zizou and Messi were discussing in the recent interview that they had.

We'll either watch a false winger (Zizou and Messi also discussed about this) in a 433 or a variation of the 352 or 343.

Escheverri and Soule are the 2 talents that I'm hopeful of who can provide this type of magic.

I also think Pep is trying to scout athletic 8's who have great dribbling skills as well.
Pep is one of the biggest reasons for this though. He micromanages attackers way too much unless they're Messi.

From player interviews and general observations I have concluded that he's too specific and rigid with his tactical instructions. Ofcourse, he does it for results but we're talking about entertainment here.

Jack Grealish was elegant, unpredictable and full of flair at Villa. People compared him to Gazza. Pep made him into a boring LW who retains possesion and continuously passes it backwards and sideways.

KingLeo10

Guardiola is responsible for killing the flair of the game at the highest level.

He is like Carlsen or Karpov in chess. Methodical, meticulous, unrelenting and no flair

Andresito

Staff member
Would be huge for these kids to play with Messi before they initiate their careers for real. Can't see any personal gain for Messi to compete though but he could do it out of love for Argentina.

soul24rage

Would be huge for these kids to play with Messi before they initiate their careers for real. Can't see any personal gain for Messi to compete though but he could do it out of love for Argentina.
If (and this is a big If) Messi decides to go to the WC26, it would benefit him to play alongside the young lads and build team chemistry as time on the field is very limited in the senior team.

Plus adding another Olympic Gold adds more to his and his country's legacy

But all in all, really doubt that Messi will be going to the Olympics anyways, but one can hope.

Andresito

Staff member
Unfortunately I think this year will be it for Messi. His body seems to be in a steep decline when it comes to fitness and he gets injured easily. Playing a NT tournament is pretty draining with games every 3 days with ET sometimes. Might be hard for him to recover after Copa to be 100% at Olympics even if it's a couple of weeks of rest inbetween. Always some niggles here and there.

WC26 I see as 1% chance he goes.

Temptation

🧤 Sergio Romero in goal
🛡️ Defenders like Otamendi, Heinze, Samuel and Demichelis
⚔️ Mascherano, the heart of the team
🧠 Creators like Veron and Pastore
🪄 A 22yo Messi and a 22yo Di María as the difference-makers
🎯 Elite strikers like Agüero, Higuaín, Tevez and Milito
🐐 Diego Maradona as the head coach

This 2010 Argentina team could've become World Champions EASILY 😳

Underrated team imo. With a better manager they could have achieved so much. Killer squad on paper. Elite attacking talent - all in their physical peak. Brilliant underrated defenders. Good GK. Perfect mix of experience and youth. The National Football Federation fucked up with their juvenile decisions.

I really fancy this squad. In a hypothetical world fuelled by delusion, I'd love to manage this squad in a tournament. XD

Fati_Future_BallonDor

🧤 Sergio Romero in goal

Underrated team imo. With a better manager they could have achieved so much. Killer squad on paper. Elite attacking talent - all in their physical peak. Brilliant underrated defenders. Good GK. Perfect mix of experience and youth. The National Football Federation fucked up with their juvenile decisions.

I really fancy this squad. In a hypothetical world fuelled by delusion, I'd love to manage this squad in a tournament. XD

Argentinia thought Maradona's presence alone will lead them to WC glory lol. With a good coach they could have beaten Germany even tough the germans in 2010 and 2014 were on their prime. Klose, Podolski, Ozil, Schweini, Lahm Kroos, Mueller, - loved that team, a golden generation :worthy:

Andresito

Staff member
🧤 Sergio Romero in goal

What would be your XI? That squad was highly unbalanced.

soul24rage

🧤 Sergio Romero in goal

As Andresito mentioned, the squad is unbalanced with major players left out like Zanetti, Zabaleta, Cambiasso and Riquelme. Need more presence in the center midfield to which Maradona completed disregarded lol

Wasted Diego Milito who was on fire that season and the best version of Messi heading into the WC.

What a waste.

Temptation

What would be your XI? That squad was highly unbalanced.

I'd start the 2010 WC with:

Romero
Zanetti(C)
Demichelis
Samuel
Heinze
Mascherano
Pastore/Cambiasso
Tevez
Messi
Di Maria
Milito

Roughly a 4231:

I'd play with Carlos Tevez as a Number 10/Second striker playing behind/off the Target Man Milito. I trust the mad work rate and pressing ability prime Tevez had. Was an absolute animal.

Double pivot of sorts with Mascherano and Pastore. Mascherano as the anchor and destroyer; Pastore as the technician, recycler, ball carrier with more attacking tendencies.

Messi as the RW with total freedom to roam and zero off the ball responsibilities. Would build the team around him.

ADM will be my Left Winger. Young ADM was rapid, tricky, immense 1 on 1, could beat his man and put in perfect crosses, cutbacks or clever final balls easily.

Milito as the Targetman. Great in the air and very underrated all round game. Great instincts and was very clutch in 2010. People forget how good he was in Inter's treble winning side.

Higuain would be my first choice sub for the Striker role.

Zabaleta in the mix. Cambiasso for Pastore whenever needed.

If up against a stronger team and I need more physicality in midfield, I'd go with Mario Bolatti instead of Pastore.

Maxi Rodriguez will be one of my key bench options too. Baller.

Other bench options like Veron, Gutierrez, Otamendi would be there.

TACTICS:

Basically without analysing opponents, the basic structure of my team would be as follows:

Would play a mid block in the defensive line. Would perfectly suit the experienced warriors Zanetti, Samuel, Heinze..... Also it's a death sentence to play too attacking and naive in international knockout tournaments.

In possession, would play a progressive passing game with technicians like Messi, Pastore, ADM, Mascherano, Tevez taking care of the ball progression and creation of attacking scenarios. 2010 Messi would have so much attention on him that it'd create loads of space for the others. This is why switching the ball from one wing to another will be a deadly prospect. Messi is a cheat code to unlock parked buses/compact low blocks.

This team would be deadly on the break with fast balls into the space for elite counter attackers like ADM, Tevez and Higuain or long balls for Milito to knock down.

Very hardworking team off the ball except Messi. ADM, Tevez, Milito all had elite defensive work rate and pressing capabilities.

Most importantly, this team has the perfect balance of experience and youth, technique and grit. Players like Zanetti, Samuel and Milito were fresh off a treble and the team had amazing leaders with character like Zanetti, Mascherano and Samuel. Had the best player in the world and stacked attacking options.

Great team and would have been very balanced with a good coach and a half decent Federation.

soul24rage

I'd start the 2010 WC with:

Romero
Zanetti(C)
Demichelis
Samuel
Heinze
Mascherano
Pastore/Cambiasso
Tevez
Messi
Di Maria
Milito

Roughly a 4231:

I'd play with Carlos Tevez as a Number 10/Second striker playing behind/off the Target Man Milito. I trust the mad work rate and pressing ability prime Tevez had. Was an absolute animal.

Double pivot of sorts with Mascherano and Pastore. Mascherano as the anchor and destroyer; Pastore as the technician, recycler, ball carrier with more attacking tendencies.

Messi as the RW with total freedom to roam and zero off the ball responsibilities. Would build the team around him.

ADM will be my Left Winger. Young ADM was rapid, tricky, immense 1 on 1, could beat his man and put in perfect crosses, cutbacks or clever final balls easily.

Milito as the Targetman. Great in the air and very underrated all round game. Great instincts and was very clutch in 2010. People forget how good he was in Inter's treble winning side.

Higuain would be my first choice sub for the Striker role.

Zabaleta in the mix. Cambiasso for Pastore whenever needed.

If up against a stronger team and I need more physicality in midfield, I'd go with Mario Bolatti instead of Pastore.

Maxi Rodriguez will be one of my key bench options too. Baller.

Other bench options like Veron, Gutierrez, Otamendi would be there.

TACTICS:

Basically without analysing opponents, the basic structure of my team would be as follows:

Would play a mid block in the defensive line. Would perfectly suit the experienced warriors Zanetti, Samuel, Heinze..... Also it's a death sentence to play too attacking and naive in international knockout tournaments.

In possession, would play a progressive passing game with technicians like Messi, Pastore, ADM, Mascherano, Tevez taking care of the ball progression and creation of attacking scenarios. 2010 Messi would have so much attention on him that it'd create loads of space for the others. This is why switching the ball from one wing to another will be a deadly prospect. Messi is a cheat code to unlock parked buses/compact low blocks.

This team would be deadly on the break with fast balls into the space for elite counter attackers like ADM, Tevez and Higuain or long balls for Milito to knock down.

Very hardworking team off the ball except Messi. ADM, Tevez, Milito all had elite defensive work rate and pressing capabilities.

Most importantly, this team has the perfect balance of experience and youth, technique and grit. Players like Zanetti, Samuel and Milito were fresh off a treble and the team had amazing leaders with character like Zanetti, Mascherano and Samuel. Had the best player in the world and stacked attacking options.

Great team and would have been very balanced with a good coach and a half decent Federation.
That line up is too attack heavy imo and need more midfield control. Pastore is more of a CAM than an actual CM.

I would have something like this (4231)

Romer---Zabaleta, Demichelis, Samuel, Zanetti---Mascherano, Cambiasso---Messi, Riquelme, Di Maria---Milito

Home of Barca Fans