Argentina

Banega is far better than all the midfielders Barca has now bar Busquets.

Carrasco is as good as Dembele.

And most importantly, Argentina has a great coach which is the most important thing. Just look at Napoli that plays the best football in the world at the moment.

JamDav1982

Banega is far better than all the midfielders Barca has now bar Busquets.

Carrasco is as good as Dembele.

And most importantly, Argentina has a great coach which is the most important thing. Just look at Napoli that plays the best football in the world at the moment.

No he isnt. Banega is crap and not better than any of them bar maybe Gomes.

Barca have far better players than Argentina. Only Dybala gets in Barca team and wouldnt if Coutinho comes.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
DIlrtrJXYAE5ztt.jpg:large

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Looks a shite standard of line up to me.

Have to hope for Messi sake Sampaoli can make them better than the sum of their parts.

I'm only looking at that attack. No Higuain and Aguero. Icardi, Dybala and Messi who are all on fire so far this season.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Anyone watched the match?

How did Argentina Play?

How did Dybala play and how good was he in linking up with Messi?

How did Messi play?

Nothing special. It was Sampaoli first official match. New formation, new players in a tough ground, in a match that no team wanted to lose. Uruguay came to defend, they were tight in the back. Argentina's midfield was poor, and Di Maria was awful (as expected!). Icardi barely recieved any balls and Messi and Dybala couldn't do much there in the middle of a 6,7 Uruguay players. Argentina dominated Uruguay in possession, but couldn't make any dangerous opportunities.

Altomonte

Messi played well, worked hard. He had two scoring opportunities, one went wide, the other saved by a very good goalkeeper. He was voted man of the match, had many touches, excellent passes, and some very good dribbles. His communication with Dybala needs work, but there are signs it is improving. Mascherano did not play.

AURELIUS

Firstly I am not going to criticize Samp greatly. First competitive match and it takes time for any coach to get their imprint on a national team. Not to mention several players have hardly played together.However observing the match we will have to play at a faster tempo. Move the ball far more quickly, get those one two combinations going in and around the box. Doing so means a defence gets pulled about out of position. Instead of which we played infront of them with 2 DM's who are incapable of passing the ball into space or through the lines with accuracy resulting in Messi and Dybala dropping deep.

And with a compact defence you would like to see width. The width we did have was completely wasted by di Maria on numerous occasions. He would have to become a substitute for me an impact player. I far prefer Joaquin Correa who will get down the flanks and is far less easily hurried off the ball. Or Perotti or indeed Gaitan who has mysteriously disappeared from selection. All three are superior crossers of the ball.As has been mentioned get a ball playing central midfielder in. Augusto Fernandez or Paredes would be ideal. And Samp also has to learn a lesson. He is supposed to be tactically flexible.He wasn't against Uruguay. Change formation if it isn't working. I would have liked to seen the team revert to a back four and 4-2-3-1 with two natural laterals coming into the game. Or indeed replace Acuna who was pretty poor with Bustos. More tenacious defensively and more offensive and at least judging by his form for Independiente willing to get to the byeline for crosses.

I feel sorry for the three upfront. Precious little service. And why do players turn into statues as soon as Messi has the ball. Run, make decoy runs offer options. Maddening. As a unit we were far from compact. Our trio of central defenders are tough but they lack pace and drop deeper than most. Time for a change here as well. Did not press in unison and once again gave away cheap balls that led to danger. Romero had his usual joke of a mistake in almost parrying a fairly innocuous shot to a Uruguayan forward. His distribution is also very poor. We have not had a Abbondanzieri type who can launch attacks. So all in all a lot of work to do. Samp knows this. I have said that 2022 is the long term goal in all probability as is the project with the u20 and u17 to establish our footballing identity again. Fix some of the issues mentioned and change a few more players and things should improve.

-------------------------------------Rulli------------------------------------------
Bustos---------------Garay---------------Musacchio----------Tagliafico
---------------------------------Asascibar--------------------------------------
----------A.Fernandez--------------------------Banega---------------------
------------------------------------Messi----------------------------------------
----------------------Dybala-------------------Icardi--------------------------

This is something I would go for personally. If Samp is determined upon his the players need to change.

---------------------------------------Rulli----------------------------------------
------------Mercado---------------Garay------------Musacchio-----------
--------------------------Paredes---------Asascibar-------------------------
Bustos--------------------------------------------------------------Perotti----
--------------------Messi-----------------------Dybala-------------------------
-------------------------------------Icardi----------------------------------------

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Mascherano is declining, but I think he still could be very valuable in International matches in the back three. He's a leader and very experienced. Not in the midfield as he cannot play there anymore, but he could be decent instead of Mercado IMO.

Very important game tonight. Chile lost again.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Draw for Colombia and a loss for Chile. This is all in Argentina's hands now. Should be able to qualify easily now without a play-off.

Home of Barca Fans