Ansu Fati (loaned to Brighton)

KingLeo10

Among the talented 17-18 year old players people have seen, what tier would you rank Fati?

R9, Messi, Maradona, Pele would be top tier.

Is he in the Rooney, Neymar, Mbappe bracket? Lower?

Riordon

Among the talented 17-18 year old players people have seen, what tier would you rank Fati?

Lets not overrate him. He is obviously lower. I would say he is a a tier below guys like Greenwood and Haaland let alone those guys mentioned.
Also, the fact that Fati is good at 17 doesnt mean he will be really good at 21. Doesnt work that way.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
How did he move up ranks?

He played for Juvenil together with Konrad and Moriba last season. They were promoted to Barca B, but Fati was called up in August because Messi, Dembele and Suarez were all injured. We started to use Carles Perez for the same reason.

Barcilliant

Put this guy in the central striker role and he can be the next Aguero. He will get better in every aspect. You can't account for intangibles like injuries, luck etc.
Umtiti looked special until he got injured. Now he looks a shadow of his former self.
I never expected Messi to win 6 Balons.
It's impossible to predict the future.

xXKonan

I feel like he's the perfect LWF player.

We tried doing it with Suarez and Even Dembele, but it seems Fati could be tailor made for it.

HanDW

Far lower, Mbappe was already a top10 BdO with 30 g+a at 17 and Neymar was top3 South America player of the year at 18 with over 40 goals in a season.

Last edited:

Porque

I think we also have to keep perspective of the environment that Ansu Fati is currently performing in. The current Barcelona is slow-tempo, methodical, built for Messi and with few off the ball movements.

Even if Ansu has grown up with the system, it takes a special talent to start and end the season so well at such a young age. A managerial change, plenty of locker room issues. He has had a great season.

So when compared to Neymar, who started in a much rawer and spacious Brazilian football (yes I know the crowds are rawkus) in a Santos team that was expansious and attack built (their Libertadores gen babied by Neymar and Ganso was seriously good).

Or Mbappe who broke out in a Monaco team which was vertical, pacy and build with all the best talents of Ligue 1 who have gone on to be key players in Premier League Champions, Champions League winners and other top teams.

Or even Mason Greenwood who is performing fantasically in a incredibly pacy and vertical Man Utd that has quite a simplistic system.

Perhaps you put Ansu in one of those other 3 setups and he would look even better. Perhaps you put one of the other three in this Barcelona side this season and they would not look as good.

BTW here is Ansu last season in the youth team where he looks like almost a different player.

As for tiers. He is clearly in the current day tier 1. How many other talents have broken through at 16/17 years old in a top 5-10 football club in the past season or two? Not many.

Last edited:

JohnN

Only thing not better than other breakout youngsters is pace.
He has great movement, linkup paly, finishing, vision, decision making and decent dribling. Too young to predict anything really.

Home of Barca Fans